• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I've had enough of:

ponderous wingers
wingers who can't tackle
wingers who can't kick
wingers who aren't wingers
wingers who are journeymen

If we're picking the same old losers why sack Cheika?

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
As much as we collectively don't want to see it, for all the reasons covered over the last 2 pages it's quite feasible that we will see Hodge back in the 14 jersey. Possibly vindicating why he was ever there in the first place.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My take is that every winger we have is a compromise in some form (as are all our players to be honest). The only ones that on paper would appear to have a complete skillset are those that haven't played enough to expose the deficiencies or had them tested at a higher level.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
My take is that every winger we have is a compromise in some form (as are all our players to be honest). The only ones that on paper would appear to have a complete skillset are those that haven't played enough to expose the deficiencies or had them tested at a higher level.

An interesting question might well be: whom would we select for the 2020 Wallabies if no Giteau Rule at all, a la RSA's policy for the Boks?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
An interesting question might well be: whom would we select for the 2020 Wallabies if no Giteau Rule at all, a la RSA's policy for the Boks?

I can't comment definitively because I haven't been watching much Euro rugby lately.

That said, I still think Nic White would be the only incredibly likely selection and then from there:

Rory Arnold
Will Skelton
Adam Coleman
Samu Kerevi
Tolu Latu
Sean McMahon
Joe Tomane

Not really sure who else. I'd expect that most who haven't been on the scene in a long time wouldn't really be looked at. It's too hard to tell whether they are close enough to being worthwhile.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
As much as we collectively don't want to see it, for all the reasons covered over the last 2 pages it's quite feasible that we will see Hodge back in the 14 jersey. Possibly vindicating why he was ever there in the first place.

Why revert to Hodge when we can choose Wright or Kellaway, who both can kick adequately and have more upside? Hodge is struggling to get selected in the 15 for the Rebels at the moment.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Why revert to Hodge when we can choose Wright or Kellaway, who both can kick adequately and have more upside? Hodge is struggling to get selected in the 15 for the Rebels at the moment.

I like Reece Hodge. He's only 25, though he seems like he's been on the scene for a long time.

He has a general sense for the game, his defence is solid, he can play multiple positions and he has a record of making big plays against the All Blacks - intercepts, long range kicks in pressure moments, etc.

We get a bit carried away by the uncapped and the new, but Andrew Kellaway is just a year younger than Hodge. I'd argue his 'upside' is no different to Hodge.

If he can find some Super form, I'm picking Reece Hodge in my squad. I'm not sure he can become a World XV winger, but IMO he's a solid option who brings a lot to the table.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I can't comment definitively because I haven't been watching much Euro rugby lately.

That said, I still think Nic White would be the only incredibly likely selection and then from there:

Rory Arnold
Will Skelton
Adam Coleman
Samu Kerevi
Tolu Latu
Sean McMahon
Joe Tomane

Not really sure who else. I'd expect that most who haven't been on the scene in a long time wouldn't really be looked at. It's too hard to tell whether they are close enough to being worthwhile.
Fuck most of those blokes walk into the 15 assuming they are fit and in form. Sadness.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I like Reece Hodge. He's only 25, though he seems like he's been on the scene for a long time.

He has a general sense for the game, his defence is solid, he can play multiple positions and he has a record of making big plays against the All Blacks - intercepts, long range kicks in pressure moments, etc.

We get a bit carried away by the uncapped and the new, but Andrew Kellaway is just a year younger than Hodge. I'd argue his 'upside' is no different to Hodge.

If he can find some Super form, I'm picking Reece Hodge in my squad. I'm not sure he can become a World XV winger, but IMO he's a solid option who brings a lot to the table.

Yeah very solid point. Hodge has a long time yet. Excited to see what can happen.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Fuck most of those blokes walk into the 15 assuming they are fit and in form. Sadness.

Eh, the only ones would be Arnold, Kerevi in my eyes.

Skelton - sure he's doing well up North, but we've seen it doesnt necessarily translate when players come back or at a international level.

Coleman - lost his mojo for the last 18 months. Felt like he spent more time injured and then trying to get some momentum back only to be reinjured.

Latu - showed some real promise at the RWC. Outside of that he was a majority liability. FF (Folau Fainga'a) starts for me.

McMahon - completely forgotten how he plays, unsure if how he'd fit back into the jump back at international level after years in the minor leagues.

Tomane - had moments of brilliance, but more often than not, was never outstanding at international level. Just turned 30, so you'd be better of with building up the next generation of wingers.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
DHP or Maddocks would also offer more value but aren't in great form at the moment.

I've got DHP at 15, I thought he's in pretty good form, and the reason we're talking about Hodge is to avoid putting another 15 (like Maddocks or Banks) at 14. He looks like the road runner at full tilt but is deceptively fast, can defend, and can kick. His decision making lets him down at times but he's a pretty well rounded outside back otherwise.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
As most of you know, I am not a Kerevi fan. While some of his stats are top notch, line breaks, defenders beaten etc. He stifled both the Reds and Wallaby attack by running away from support and with his lack of distribution skills.
Its pretty obvious to see that the Reds attack is much more fluid and effective without him. Time to blood a real 12 or go with To'omua or JOC (James O'Connor).
I would love to have Arnold and maybe Latu. Uelese is back and FF (Folau Fainga'a) will be soon too hopefully. We have some outstanding talent coming through in the back 5 forwards, some who may well prove to be better than the likes of McMahon and Coleman.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I've got DHP at 15, I thought he's in pretty good form, and the reason we're talking about Hodge is to avoid putting another 15 (like Maddocks or Banks) at 14. He looks like the road runner at full tilt but is deceptively fast, can defend, and can kick. His decision making lets him down at times but he's a pretty well rounded outside back otherwise.

Did Hodge actually kick that much in general play as a Wallaby winger? I can't remember too much of it.

My concern is that a backline that looks something like 10. JOC (James O'Connor)/MT 11. Koroibete 12. JOC (James O'Connor)/MT 13. TK 14. Hodge 15. DHP/Banks is pretty vanilla. I'd prefer seeing someone like Wright at 14 who can bring a bit of x factor.