• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
I thought Hodge was horrible last year. Remember him being out of position to miss tackles and then not having the pace to chase someone.

I don't know who is best for the position yet but I'd like to see someone like Wright, Speight, Maddocks or Kellaway.

Guessing next year Vunivalu will be first pick with the salary he was given.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Did Hodge actually kick that much in general play as a Wallaby winger? I can't remember too much of it.

My concern is that a backline that looks something like 10. JOC (James O'Connor)/MT 11. Koroibete 12. JOC (James O'Connor)/MT 13. TK 14. Hodge 15. DHP/Banks is pretty vanilla. I'd prefer seeing someone like Wright at 14 who can bring a bit of x factor.

We certainly have a lot of unknown quantities in the outside backs and one or two of them may provide that X factor. Thing is we aren't going to know until they are actually thrown into the cauldron, and some won't even make it past their first Wallabies camp. Remember a couple of years ago we though we were blessed with Fijian wingers - Koroibete, Naivalu, Speight, Nabuli (?!?!) - ultimately only one of them made it last cycle, although Naivalu and Speight had their moments.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I like Reece Hodge. He's only 25, though he seems like he's been on the scene for a long time.

He has a general sense for the game, his defence is solid, he can play multiple positions and he has a record of making big plays against the All Blacks - intercepts, long range kicks in pressure moments, etc.

We get a bit carried away by the uncapped and the new, but Andrew Kellaway is just a year younger than Hodge. I'd argue his 'upside' is no different to Hodge.

If he can find some Super form, I'm picking Reece Hodge in my squad. I'm not sure he can become a World XV winger, but IMO he's a solid option who brings a lot to the table.

You're obviously a Reece Hodge fan and that's fine but I think picking him on the wing has been generally a negative/ conservative decision, based on his big boot (though he is bloody slow to get foot to ball) and a defensive pattern where he defended in the 12/13 channel.
I'd argue that Kellaway's upside is a fair bit more than Hodge primarily due to the fact he is actually natural winger/ finisher that can beat a man, with a good reading of the game and boot (I'd love him to have a bit more pace though).
I don't think either will ever be pushing selection in a World XV.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You're obviously a Reece Hodge fan and that's fine but I think picking him on the wing has been generally a negative/ conservative decision, based on his big boot (though he is bloody slow to get foot to ball) and a defensive pattern where he defended in the 12/13 channel.
I'd argue that Kellaway's upside is a fair bit more than Hodge primarily due to the fact he is actually natural winger/ finisher that can beat a man, with a good reading of the game and boot (I'd love him to have a bit more pace though).
I don't think either will ever be pushing selection in a World XV.

If Kellaway continues the season like he has started it then I think he will make it very hard not to pick him.

That's a big if though. He's playing at a level he hasn't played at previously.

I agree he has a great rugby brain and I think he's now putting in the effort required so hopefully it continues.

I think he definitely struggled with both the expectation and the extra work needed when he started his pro career. He was (somewhat understandably) used to things coming pretty easily when he was in the under 20s.

I'm still not convinced he's that good at beating a man though. He isn't known for breaking tackles nor having the pace to run around someone.

His best attribute when younger was always about being able to read the game and be in the right position at the right time.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Instead of just taking (predictable) pot shots, why don't you name some names? Who from the Brumbies have we overlooked here?

Most squads/teams on here have featured at least eight or nine Brumbies.

Of those who have posted their preferred teams, Slim predictably has included 12 Brumbies, you have 6 in the XV and two on the bench (total 8), Reg has 5 in the XV and 2 on the bench (7), KOB ditto has five and 2 for 7, Rebelyell 6 + 2 for 8 and Jimmy Jam ditto 6 + 2 for 8.

Reg is certainly the outlier as he has 9 Reds in the 23. Remember that the Reds are 1 from 4 (or 5?) so as a team they have yet to find winning form.

Some of the suggested selections are just wild. Daugunu is included when he hasn't played a game this year. Others who are arguably out of form or have not proven themselves yet include Wilson, McReight, Lolesio, Harrison and Nawaqanitawase all selected on U20s form prematurely, Kellaway on the basis of two games only, Paisami after only two or three games, Stewart who has just made his way back to the Super Rugby side, and Campbell who is just finding his feet at Super Rugby level.

On top of that, if the team is to be selected on form in the season to date, players like Dempsey, Simmons, Beale, Hunt would not make it. Tahs have only one win against the basement team from SA to their credit.

I think it would be more useful to have people select their form teams without using any of the players from the Super Rugby side they support. Yours would be very little different as you have included only two Tahs players, but others would see quite a change and probably would follow form better than the bias that intrudes into their selections otherwise.

For the record, my selections based on form to the present, are :

Slipper, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Samu, Hooper, Naisarani, Powell, To'omua, Speight, JOC (James O'Connor), Kuridrani, Koroibete, Banks.

Mafi, Sio, Tupou, Philip, Valetini, McDermott, Simone, DHP

No 6 is a difficult choice between Samu and Valetini. No 9 could be McDermott and then Powell, but Louwrens could well be the dark horse pending Nic White's return. JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua could swap and would in a game. Another winger could well force his way aat Henry's expense, but atm Henry's as good as any others going round. DHP may come under pressure for his spot as well if his form declines.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you're looking at the Brumbies and a Wallaby squad I think you could reasonably say that:

Slipper, Sio and Ala'alatoa are all locked in. 2 will start and 1 will be on the bench.
Folau Fainga'a is very likely to be the starting hooker.
Samu and Valetini are very likely to be in the squad, probably one of them makes the 23 and possibly starts.
Powell will be in the squad. He could be anywhere from starting 9 to being the 3rd choice. It all depends on Nic White and Tate McDermott. My guess is that White will be the starter.
Tevita Kuridrani will be in the squad and very likely to be the starting 13.
Tom Banks will be in the squad and is probably an even money bet as being the starting 15 or not in the 23.

Outside of that Lolesio is a chance of making the squad as a development player. It will most likely come down to who is preferred out of him and Will Harrison as a project player at 10.

Irae Simone and Tom Wright are probably bolters at this point. Either could be picked in the 23 or not make the squad at all. Will depend entirely on Rennie's preferences.

Outside of that I'm not sure whether any other Brumbies would make it. Murray Douglas is the Brumbies form lock but I don't think he's eligible and even if he is, it's hard to see him making the Wallaby squad.

Everyone is making some assumptions when picking their team even if the main basis of it is form after 5 rounds. Almost every person has picked Sio as one of their two LHPs but if you were selecting purely on form after 5 rounds he wouldn't be there.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
If Kellaway continues the season like he has started it then I think he will make it very hard not to pick him.

That's a big if though. He's playing at a level he hasn't played at previously.

I agree he has a great rugby brain and I think he's now putting in the effort required so hopefully it continues.

I think he definitely struggled with both the expectation and the extra work needed when he started his pro career. He was (somewhat understandably) used to things coming pretty easily when he was in the under 20s.

I'm still not convinced he's that good at beating a man though. He isn't known for breaking tackles nor having the pace to run around someone.

His best attribute when younger was always about being able to read the game and be in the right position at the right time.

Hopefully for Australian rugby he does continue this form. Although as you said its tough to sustain, Maddocks had an outstanding start last season but struggled in the second half of the season.

I'd back Wright to have the better career moving forward based around the fact that he has express pace and the footwork to beat a man more readily. Wright also has more versatility at this point.

That said I wouldn't be upset with Kellaway or Wright getting a start this year and hopefully Maddocks starts to see some quality ball on the back of the Waratahs backline, (maybe wishful thinking) because he is another with a high ceiling that could defintley add a point of difference to the National set up.

I really don't see how the investment in Suni Vunivalu adds anything. His value to league will not translate to rugby.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
BR don’t you think that Samu/Hooper is just another version of the Pooper? I certainly don’t think you can play them together with Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Naisarani, our lineout will be smashed more than it ever was last cycle. However, if you swap Samu and Valetini it works. Critiquing your other selections, Powell is unlikely to start as long as Nic White is back in the country, and he’s essentially a Brumby anyway. It’s probably 50/50 between DHP and Banks at 15 and they will probably both get a shot, but unless the other starts at 14 they are unlikely to both be in the 23. Simone is a good smoky but he’s just that, it could just as easily be Meakes in that jersey. Other than that it’s not really any different to anyone else’s thoughts.

I doubt that form is going to be Rennie’s starting point. Incumbency will be, and you can bet your bottom dollar that any player in the Japan RWC squad who is currently playing super rugby, plus white, will be in the initial 33 (ish) man squad, even if some of them don’t play. So write those names in first and then fill in the gaps around them, seeking a balance between experience, form and potential. Don’t forget that we are just picking a squad to play Ireland only, and then will build from there.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE LOCKS!!!!!

I think the back-line will be fine with whoever. All super xv teams have shown some great attacking rugby. For the first time in a while I'm excited about it.

Some-one posted, it's a worry none of our locks are outplaying Simmons. That is so true. Matt Phillip had a solid game. But boy does it look like we are going to miss Arnold and to a lesser extend Coleman.

I'm not even too impressed with Rodda (Reds have been poor in the line-out especially - which he runs?). I think the locks are going to be pretty average.

Damn our front row is looking good tho.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Well he isn’t going to be the Wallabies #6 then is he

That's unfortunate.

I think we can nearly lock in 7. Hooper 8. Naisa

Dempsey looking like the best fit for balance (probs needs to show a bit more form). Samu and Valentini obviously the form players. Wilson there for development.

I feel any combination of Samu, Hooper, Naisa, Valentini, an in form Dempsey is a damn good backrow.

Or if McMahon was still around.......

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE LOCKS!!!!!

I think the back-line will be fine with whoever. All super xv teams have shown some great attacking rugby. For the first time in a while I'm excited about it.

Some-one posted, it's a worry none of our locks are outplaying Simmons. That is so true. Matt Phillip had a solid game. But boy does it look like we are going to miss Arnold and to a lesser extend Coleman.

I'm not even too impressed with Rodda (Reds have been poor in the line-out especially - which he runs?). I think the locks are going to be pretty average.

Damn our front row is looking good tho.
We’re 5 rounds in.

I like to speculate about the likely Wallaby side as much as the next guy - it’s always a fun exercise and the stoushes on here always entertain (well, they do they first 1 or 2 times at least) but form to this point if the season will be virtually meaningless come selection of the actual first squad.

Not to say your concerns don’t have merit, but we do have some decent prospects at lock - lets see how they are travelling on 5-6 weeks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's a tough one - We have a couple good FB's in Banks and DHP, so we don't really need Beale, there are some wingers doing a solid job. However, as must as it pains me to say, there aren't ENOUGH locks outplaying Simmons. Rodda and Phillips are. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will play lock, but guys like Swain, Hockings and Blyth aren't outplaying.YET. Fingers crossed.

IMO UTR, all of Swain, Blyth and Hockings are outplaying Simmons. They all at least have a fair bit of aggression and accuracy in their games. Simmo is the most inaccurate tackler and ruck hitter I've had the misfortune to see, ever. On top of that, he has little go forward with ball in hand. And each of the younger players is as good, or nearly so, as Simmons in the lineout.

Swain and Blyth are the two I favour. Swain for his ability in the maul, both attacking and defensive; Blyth for his harder hitting defense.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
My team if picked now would be

1 Sio (Brums)
2 Fainga'a (Brums)
3 AAT (Brums)
4 Rodda (Reds)
5 Philip (Rebels)
6 Valetini (Brums)
7 Hooper (Tahs)
8 Naisarani (Rebels)
9 White
10 To'omua (Rebels)
11 Koroibete (Rebels)
12 JOC (James O'Connor) (Reds)
13 Kurindrani (Brums)
14 Petaia (Reds)
15 Banks (Brums)

16 Mafi (Reds)
17 Slipper (Brums)
18 Tupou (Reds)
19 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Reds)
20 Samu (Brums)
21 McDermott (Reds)
22 Beale (Tahs)
23 Hodge (Rebels)

You need a bench that covers every position.

I would also love to see a front row of LH - AAT, HK - Uelese, TH - Tupou at some stage. It would just monster teams up front and offer so much in the contact zone. The problem is tho, beyond AAT and Tupou there is no genuine prospect at TH, so it would significantly weaken the bench option. Uelese also needs to get his body right and actually put 10+ games together. Good signs however in his 20mins on the weekend, he absolutely dominated a few Highlanders in the collision on his own line.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
My team if picked now would be

1 Sio (Brums)
2 Fainga'a (Brums)
3 AAT (Brums)
4 Rodda (Reds)
5 Philip (Rebels)
6 Valetini (Brums)
7 Hooper (Tahs)
8 Naisarani (Rebels)
9 White
10 To'omua (Rebels)
11 Koroibete (Rebels)
12 JOC (James O'Connor) (Reds)
13 Kurindrani (Brums)
14 Petaia (Reds)
15 Banks (Brums)

16 Mafi (Reds)
17 Slipper (Brums)
18 Tupou (Reds)
19 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Reds)
20 Samu (Brums)
21 McDermott (Reds)
22 Beale (Tahs)
23 Hodge (Rebels)

You need a bench that covers every position.

I would also love to see a front row of LH - AAT, HK - Uelese, TH - Tupou at some stage. It would just monster teams up front and offer so much in the contact zone. The problem is tho, beyond AAT and Tupou there is no genuine prospect at TH, so it would significantly weaken the bench option. Uelese also needs to get his body right and actually put 10+ games together. Good signs however in his 20mins on the weekend, he absolutely dominated a few Highlanders in the collision on his own line.

Sio over Slipper at this stage is madness. Slipper is on fire!

Beale and Hodge. I'd have none. But I can understand one for utility value. but both? Madness!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
IMO UTR, all of Swain, Blyth and Hockings are outplaying Simmons. They all at least have a fair bit of aggression and accuracy in their games. Simmo is the most inaccurate tackler and ruck hitter I've had the misfortune to see, ever. On top of that, he has little go forward with ball in hand. And each of the younger players is as good, or nearly so, as Simmons in the lineout.

Swain and Blyth are the two I favour. Swain for his ability in the maul, both attacking and defensive; Blyth for his harder hitting defense.

I like the sound of harder hittng defence. I'm worried they may weaken our scrum and line-out.

I'm not a fan of Simmons at all, but to give credit where credit is due, he is surely still a level above the rest at set-piece. Both scrum and line-out. Unless he's taken a big step back?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have concerns over Tupou. He is playing big minutes ever week and it is hard to see how that is going to change. The loss of Ruan Smith and the injury to Fetouaika has left the Reds cupboard bare in terms of props. High risk of him being seriously needing a rest come test selection time.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have concerns over Tupou. He is playing big minutes ever week and it is hard to see how that is going to change. The loss of Ruan Smith and the injury to Fetouaika has left the Reds cupboard bare in terms of props. High risk of him being seriously needing a rest come test selection time.

He's currently second only to Ala'alatoa who is averaging 76 minutes per match............. hopefully neither of them will be worn down by the time the test season rolls around.

But once again AAA is notching up some impressive tackle stats so far this year - for Australian players, only second to Hooper* for the average amount of tackles made per match.

*Not including Swain because he's only played one match.