1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by A mutterer, Oct 19, 2019.

1. dru Mark Ella (57)

WOB I'm lost.

Wouldn't this mean 10 games in a season for Aus; 8 for NZ?

I presume this is Argentina playing Aus, twice in any year, so one game per season for 1/2 Aus conference. None for the other half.

Also for Aus teams 2 games in a season v SA.

WOB I must be reading this wrong? I don't get a 6 tally.
  2. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

^^ interesting. Paul's hard-copy article mentioned AB & Wobs playing two-match series v Argentina & SA in the same season & speculated that there might even be extended squads & midweek fixtures.

Dru:

AB v Wobs x2 home & away
    AB v SA x2 home OR away
    AB v Arg x2 away OR home

Again, according to GP who has been known to be wrong on occasion.
    dru likes this.
  3. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

dru, read the article I posted above.....

The proposal is actually for a reduced schedule of 4 matches.
  4. dru Mark Ella (57)

OK, confusing internationals with Super Rugby. Thread confusion.
    Brumby Runner likes this.
  5. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

This is the Rugby Championship, not Super Rugby.

I don't really get how you can make it four rounds long and of those four games, Aus vs NZ happens twice and SA vs Argentina happens twice. That's an incredibly unbalanced draw for such a short competition.

Keeping 6 rounds and having it as follows makes more sense:

Australia
    vs NZ
    @ NZ
    @ SA
    @ SA
    vs Arg
    vs Arg

NZ
    @Aus
    vs Aus
    @Arg
    @Arg
    vs SA
    vs SA

SA
    vs Arg
    @ Arg
    vs Aus
    vs Aus
    @ NZ
    @ NZ

Arg
    @ SA
    vs SA
    vs NZ
    vs NZ
    @ Aus
    @ Aus
    drewprint, zer0 and RedsHappy like this.
  6. dru Mark Ella (57)

My bad, though this is a thread called Super Rugby.
  7. kiap Mark Ella (57)

I'll add just one reply.

Mods - feel free to move all these posts to another thread.

I think it's about having fewer matches for the RC trophy but play other non-RC matches instead. Currently one Bled game per year is outside the RC. This non-RC match could be joined by others in the schedule.

Having a single round-robin TRC as the yearly baseline can bring positives.

Increased flexibility e.g. Two-test tours to/from SA (you could even tack the tour onto the last test of TRC and have a 3 Test tour). Fewer air miles if you tour to one of Arg/SA instead of playing away to both each year (as now).

Alternatively, play extra one-off Tests against non-Sanzaar teams (e.g. Japan, et al).
  8. Jimmy_Crouch Bill McLean (32)

My understanding was four games. H&A for AusvNZ and SAvArg. Then H or A for AusvSA/Arg and NZvArg/SA.

For example TCR draw would look like the below

R1
    AusvNZ
    SAvArg

R2
    NZvAus
    ArgvSA

R3
    SAvAus
    ArgvNZ

R4
    AusvArg
    NZvSA

The H or A games would alternate each year.
    dru likes this.
  9. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

This is the GPaul article (you may need to turn screen rotation off to read without damaging your neck :)):

Attached Files:

10. MarkJ Tom Lawton (22)

. Maybe not cheap shot penalties, but my recollection is that Simmons was just about always good for at least one dumb penalty per test, things like pulling blokes down in the lineout, blatant ruck penalties etc.
  11. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

This is very clearly saying it would still be a 6 game tournament where you play each team twice.

I like it.
  12. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

He certainly used to be bad in this regard but hasn't in recent years.
    The Pirate and Silverado like this.
  13. kiap Mark Ella (57)

What does this bit mean … ?

"While unlikely, the possibility will exist of the All Blacks travelling with an extended squad to play mid-week fixtures in either Argentina or South Africa."

To me, the mid-week dirt-trackers in Argentina suggests a possible (if unlikely) two-match Argentina tour. Unlikely because it's not the most lucrative alternative.

Perhaps Sanzaar are shoehorning in a flexible, lop-sided annual shedule like this under the banner of the Rugby Championship because the WR player release regulations specifies a window for the RC only?

Mind you, I seem to recall from Toomua's recent participation that the window doesn't cover the full Rugby Championship as it is now.

(I mispoke about one post. So it's more than one :))
  14. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

I would assume they would still have two bye weeks as they do now and WR would still require players to be released during the bye weeks. The only change would be that instead of a two week stint where you play South Africa and Argentina at home or away in consecutive weeks, you would play two home games against one then two home games against the other.

The suggestion of a mid week tour match would presumably be between the two tests you are playing in that country. I'd be surprised if it happens though. The cost is too great.
  15. kiap Mark Ella (57)

How many weeks does the RC release window cover?

Got a feeling it doesn't cover the full rounds + two byes.
  16. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

It covers the 6 weeks there are games.

Toomua and TPN both had to return to the UK in 2018 during the bye weeks.

The Rugby Championship runs for 8 weeks. R1, R2, bye, R3, R4, bye, R5, R6.
  17. Brumby Runner Rod McCall (65)

If it's four matches only for the RC, then I can see issues that won't necessarily go down well with Aus and SA Unions.

Wallabies would have to play NZ twice every year, ie 50% of the RC games. Given our history against NZ, I can't see Aus being in a position to win the RC any time soon.

Saffa rugby would probably also complain about the easier path that would give NZ to win the whole thing.

There looks to be an imbalance about that proposal.
  18. kiap Mark Ella (57)

^ Presumably the saffers are agreeing to it. They do like the idea of Bok-AB tours.

I think Wob-Bok tours might be a useful change-up as well.

No good for the players or national teams - barely worth anything to the club either, getting back knackered players.
  19. Brumby Runner Rod McCall (65)

Good try BH. My comments about the comparative abilities of Swain and Blyth against Rob Simmons take in all of last year as well as 2020 so far. I have not selected either in my Wallabies squad, but honestly believe both are better value than Simmons right now and will be hugely better with another year or two under the belts.
  20. waiopehu oldboy Tim Horan (67)

Sorry for hijacking the thread, guys, but I couldn't find a TRC 2020 thread & didn't have time to make a TRC 2021 thread what with having to get back to work & shit :).

If (IF) GP has indeed scored himself a scoop, it's still six rounds not four.