• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
*BH just quoting you to reference the list you posted

FG, despite your dislike of a couple of the players in that list they will all be in the initial squad. It would be arrogant of Rennie to dismiss their prior selection without at least taking a look at them in the environment above where they are currently playing, as that's all he has to go off initially. That doesn't necessarily mean they will be selected to play and/or included in future squads.

I also think it's possible/likely that there will be more than 33 in the initial squad - there are a number of areas where there are more in-form rookie players than available spots, and he'll want to weigh these players up against each other.

KOB, I understand exactly what you are saying and where you're coming from, but I believe you will prove to be wrong at the time. I reckon Rennie has had Scott Johnson watching all contenders extremely closely and will have been in touch with him constantly. It has been reported that the Wallabies coaching staff have been putting together their two teams each week during the Super Rugby comp.

That being so, I will be as surprised as you (would be if any miss out), but for the opposite reason, if players from the RWC all get a call up to the first test squad if they are not in form. On that topic, the likes of Simmons, Dempsey, Beale, Hodge and DHP have not been in form and would likely be rated quite a bit behind others in their spots atm. I think there will need to be a very noticeable improvement from these players for them all to be in favour when Rennie takes over.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^ Presumably the saffers are agreeing to it. They do like the idea of Bok-AB tours.

I think Wob-Bok tours might be a useful change-up as well.

No good for the players or national teams - barely worth anything to the club either, getting back knackered players.

Kiap, my comment was addressed to the proposal of four RC matches only. I don't think there will be scope in a four match tournament where we are committed to play two games against NZ for a tour of SA by either us or NZ. My understanding is that there would be one game only v SA, alternating home and away, and one match v Argentina alternating the opposite way. Maybe I don't really understand the proposal at all?

There was a suggestion at one time that the July tests might encompass a two or three match tour by perhaps SA or us to them, but I'm not sure anything ever came of that. In any event, that would be outside the ambit of the RC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That being so, I will be as surprised as you (would be if any miss out), but for the opposite reason, if players from the RWC all get a call up to the first test squad if they are not in form. On that topic, the likes of Simmons, Dempsey, Beale, Hodge and DHP have not been in form and would likely be rated quite a bit behind others in their spots atm. I think there will need to be a very noticeable improvement from these players for them all to be in favour when Rennie takes over.

Dempsey had an excellent game against the Lions.

DHP is currently leading all fullbacks for run metres and has more tackle busts than any other Aussie fullback. I would say most people would say he is in good form right now.

I think it is hard to argue that Sio, Uelese and Koroibete have shown any consistent form so far this season. Uelese has played very few minutes but I don't see why you'd argue these players are in better form than say Rob Simmons.

Anyway, we're 4 or 5 games into a 16 game regular season. The games already played will count the least when form is considered going into a July test series.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Kiap, my comment was addressed to the proposal of four RC matches only. I don't think there will be scope in a four match tournament where we are committed to play two games against NZ for a tour of SA by either us or NZ. My understanding is that there would be one game only v SA, alternating home and away, and one match v Argentina alternating the opposite way. Maybe I don't really understand the proposal at all?

There was a suggestion at one time that the July tests might encompass a two or three match tour by perhaps SA or us to them, but I'm not sure anything ever came of that. In any event, that would be outside the ambit of the RC.
Yeah, I think there are several versions of what's happening depending on which source you read.

With a 4 game RC, I'd assume the other (tour) games would be added on outside RC. This could still work. Might be better inside the RC, however, to activate the RC player release.

With a 6 game RC, the tour games would all be in RC, but alternating two away/two home in consecutive years. A problem with that might be in a RWC year where has been no room for a 6-game RC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where is the article that suggests a 4 game Rugby Championship is the proposed format? It certainly isn't the Gregor Paul column.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Still can't find anything about this that doesn't (erroneously in the case of sport24.co.za stating it's a four-round comp) quote GP's article which makes his use of the word "revealed" a little puzzling as it doesn't appear to have been revealed anywhere other than in his column. Nothing on either TV news bulletin, SkySport News or Crowd Goes Wild, either. So it's either the biggest scoop in years or he's been fed some very, very bad intel.

EDIT: brief mention just now on CGW but it was literally "they're talking about...." without actually specifying who "they" might be.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Where is the article that suggests a 4 game Rugby Championship is the proposed format? It certainly isn't the Gregor Paul column.
I was looking here and here, but WOB is right, it's a website and a punter making Chinese Whispers in (mis)-interpreting the 'scoop' out of NZ.

So?
2020 ---- (6) H and A
2021-22 (6) with tours
2023 ---- (4) H or A
2024-25 (6) with tours

Does any of this even apply to Australia's schedule?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Still can't find anything about this that doesn't (erroneously in the case of sport24.co.za stating it's a four-round comp) quote GP's article which makes his use of the word "revealed" a little puzzling as it doesn't appear to have been revealed anywhere other than in his column. Nothing on either TV news bulletin, SkySport News or Crowd Goes Wild, either. So it's either the biggest scoop in years or he's been fed some very, very bad intel.

EDIT: brief mention just now on CGW but it was literally "they're talking about.." without actually specifying who "they" might be.

Fairly reasonable chance that someone from SANZAAR has leaked this to Paul so he writes about it and they can gauge the response.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I've sat on this for a while but I think it's time to let it free.

I see DHP doing so much right but it's the things he does wrong that frustrate the hell out of me. Let's take the Rebels last game for example.
1. The Rebels broke out up the left tryline and had thrown everything into attack until play broke down with the ball in DHP's hands. He hoofs it down field and the Highlanders take advantage of the very broken Rebels defence and score moments later.

2. Rebels up by nine with 25 (I think) to go. Rebels win a penalty within easy kicking range. The clear thing to do is to apply pressure by scoring 3 and moving 12 in front. DHP goes for the corner and they get penalised. Highlander move up field and win a penalty and take the kick to get within one converted try. A six point turn around and the pressure is reversed and put right back on the Rebels.

For me, that's 13 points for the opposition directly on DHP.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I've sat on this for a while but I think it's time to let it free.

I see DHP doing so much right but it's the things he does wrong that frustrate the hell out of me. Let's take the Rebels last game for example.
1. The Rebels broke out up the left tryline and had thrown everything into attack until play broke down with the ball in DHP's hands. He hoofs it down field and the Highlanders take advantage of the very broken Rebels defence and score moments later.

2. Rebels up by nine with 25 (I think) to go. Rebels win a penalty within easy kicking range. The clear thing to do is to apply pressure by scoring 3 and moving 12 in front. DHP goes for the corner and they get penalised. Highlander move up field and win a penalty and take the kick to get within one converted try. A six point turn around and the pressure is reversed and put right back on the Rebels.

For me, that's 13 points for the opposition directly on DHP.

Fair comments.

On point 1. Yep, he shanked that kick and it lead directly to a try.

On 2. That was a captaincy decision (a poor one, IMHO) and not an issue with him as a full back. He probably won't be Wallaby captain though so, not such a big deal for the Wobbs.

He was probably Rebels MOTM in two of the five games so far. He was a bit quiet against the Clan but has been in top form otherwise. Clearly the best of the Aus full backs so far.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
My team if picked now would be

1 Sio (Brums)
2 Fainga'a (Brums)
3 AAT (Brums)
4 Rodda (Reds)
5 Philip (Rebels)
6 Valetini (Brums)
7 Hooper (Tahs)
8 Naisarani (Rebels)
9 White
10 To'omua (Rebels)
11 Koroibete (Rebels)
12 JOC (James O'Connor) (Reds)
13 Kurindrani (Brums)
14 Petaia (Reds)
15 Banks (Brums)

16 Mafi (Reds)
17 Slipper (Brums)
18 Tupou (Reds)
19 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Reds)
20 Samu (Brums)
21 McDermott (Reds)
22 Beale (Tahs)
23 Hodge (Rebels)

You need a bench that covers every position.

I would also love to see a front row of LH - AAT, HK - Uelese, TH - Tupou at some stage. It would just monster teams up front and offer so much in the contact zone. The problem is tho, beyond AAT and Tupou there is no genuine prospect at TH, so it would significantly weaken the bench option. Uelese also needs to get his body right and actually put 10+ games together. Good signs however in his 20mins on the weekend, he absolutely dominated a few Highlanders in the collision on his own line.

AAA/Uelese/Thor
Sio/FF (Folau Fainga'a)/Slipper..

But Slipper has been the form LHP and playing outstanding, so I wouldnt be bothered to move AAA and Him around.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Uelese threw one of the worst throws I've seen from a professional hooker the other week. He's also made of glass. Much prefer Mafi.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
AAA/Uelese/Thor
Sio/FF (Folau Fainga'a)/Slipper..

But Slipper has been the form LHP and playing outstanding, so I wouldnt be bothered to move AAA and Him around.
think Sio has been very poor so far. I can't remember Uelesse play for more than 5 minutes over the last 2 years

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Uelese threw one of the worst throws I've seen from a professional hooker the other week. He's also made of glass. Much prefer Mafi.

Yes, his first throw was off but he physically dominated the opposition like no other Oz hooker has done. He bossed them.
i don’t get the anti-Uelese sentiment. He has yet to get above his injuries but when he is on he is a beast.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes, his first throw was off but he physically dominated the opposition like no other Oz hooker has done. He bossed them.
i don’t get the anti-Uelese sentiment. He has yet to get above his injuries but when he is on he is a beast.
Aren't we over all these units that can't do the basics but are great at the secondaries? Latu was a beast and could pilfer like a 7 but he could barely get selected for the Tahs until he learnt to throw and scrummage.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Sio has been poor so far, and injured....

He was our #1 LH last year so I don’t think we should dismiss him just yet after a game and a half.
Yes but he's behind Slipper now. Being number 1 last year gives some kudos, but doesn't make you an automatic selection the next. I didn't realised he was injured. He just looked like he was going through the motions but fair enough if he is carrying a niggle. What's the injury?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

When did he boss them? Was it in that one bench cameo in 2017?