• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Samu, Wilson, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Naisarani all in the mix for 6/8

But probably looking at:
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani (but Wilson threatening)

And then bench battle between Samu and wilson (or Naisarani if Wilson pips him as starting 8 which possible if continues on trajectory)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd guess that Naisirani and Wilson would actually fit quite well together. From the little I've seen of Wilson he is more of a ball-runner impact player type, where Naisirani is the workhorse type. Wilson is David Lyons, Isi is Cliff Palu.

I worry a little bit about mobility though. I'd worry if you picked LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 as well. Our better 6s historically are able to play both tight and wide, and maybe guys like Samu or Valetini or Dempsey or ASY (Angus Scott-Young) are better in that regard.

But man it's nice to have plenty of options. Wish we had the same talent in the second row.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Wilson is certainly big enough but his best ball running attribute is the lines he runs. He always hits a soft shoulder which opens up his offloading game or allows him to crash through. Also has a tremendous link game.

I think the Reds aren't really taking full advantage of his offloads yet. In so many tackle situations you can see he's ready to offload but no one is there.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) needs to play at Lock not 6, his not a 6. Him and another I would say Rodda..

Then back row of Wilson/Valetini , Hooper, Isi we will be covered.

Saying 'he's not a six' over and over just doesn't cut it. He may not be your fav six or fit the mould of what you think a six should be but he can obviously play there. Well enough to be the Wallaby six in the last 12 months. he's in the mix for six whether you like it or not and his flexibility will get him picked inwallaby squads before other backrowers.

Having said that I'd pick him at lock too.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think the Reds aren't really taking full advantage of his offloads yet. In so many tackle situations you can see he's ready to offload but no one is there.

I think the high error rate he had in offloads in the first two games has shaped him a bit, either he lost a bit of confidence in his off-load or he was told to cut the 50/50 offloads and go to ground instead.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Saying 'he's not a six' over and over just doesn't cut it. He may not be your fav six or fit the mould of what you think a six should be but he can obviously play there. Well enough to be the Wallaby six in the last 12 months. he's in the mix for six whether you like it or not and his flexibility will get him picked inwallaby squads before other backrowers.

Agreed, he certainly can play 6, but it’s not his best position.
However, what he now offers is versatility in the lock/backrow position, if he is the starting lock he can shift to 6 if an injury in the backrow occurs, or if he comes off the bench he has the versatility to cover both lock and 6. It’s a massive boost for the selectors having that flexibility.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Sorry I shouldnt say his not a 6 his a damn fine player were ever he is, and I think his been better this year, I just think his a probably the best lock we have at the moment, who because of his talent can play/cover 6.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I like Wilson a lot, the bloke could develop into a very effective ball running forward and yeah his offload game will become an asset over time. For me though, Samu has to be in there. That bloke has been excellent this season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was just the Sunwolves, but Valetini had another monster performance yesterday........

I'm pretty sure he would've driven one of the Sunwolves players back 40m beyond his try line if he didn't offload, but then Valetini went and tackled that player as well.

And I thought Wilson and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) both played their best games of the year so far...........

I think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is better suited to lock, and he's more needed there as we've now got some good depth at 6/8 which we didn't have when LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was required to play 6 for the Wobs.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It was just the Sunwolves, but Valetini had another monster performance yesterday....

I'm pretty sure he would've driven one of the Sunwolves players back 40m beyond his try line if he didn't offload, but then Valetini went and tackled that player as well.

And I thought Wilson and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) both played their best games of the year so far.....

I think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is better suited to lock, and he's more needed there as we've now got some good depth at 6/8 which we didn't have when LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was required to play 6 for the Wobs.
He was quality against the Chiefs as well, so has shown he can do it against quality as well.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
His game last night was superb. He and Rodda should be a lock starting locks. Wilson's form demands selection. For mine he'd be 6, Hooper 7 and Isi 8

1. Slipper
2. ??????? (Probably Fainga'a)
3. AAT
4. Rodda
5. Philip
6. Wilson
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani

16. ?????
17. Sio
18. Tupou
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. Wright

That’d be a hell of a pack.

Plenty of ball carrying options at almost every position. Line out options everywhere. Plenty of work rate. 2 good defensive line out options. A link man with Hooper and all in form.

Hooker is still an issue.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Wright misses out if Hooper is starting..........

Samu is ideal on the bench because he's flexible across all 3 positions, is a strong ball runner, smart, skillful and can be used in the lineout as a 3rd/4th option despite his lack of height.........

I'm not sure if I'd play both Wilson and Naisarani in the same backrow......... I'd prefer one of them paired with Valetini to clear bodies and hulk smash players.

I don't think we can discount Dempsey either just yet........ it's got to be hard to shine in that Tahs team right now.

Regardless, that's going to be a tough decision to make.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think Wright misses out if Hooper is starting....

Samu is ideal on the bench because he's flexible across all 3 positions, is a strong ball runner, smart, skillful and can be used in the lineout as a 3rd/4th option despite his lack of height...

I'm not sure if I'd play both Wilson and Naisarani in the same backrow... I'd prefer one of them paired with Valetini to clear bodies and hulk smash players.

I don't think we can discount Dempsey either just yet.... it's got to be hard to shine in that Tahs team right now.

Regardless, that's going to be a tough decision to make.
He's been absent for the Tahs and is going to struggle to beat Samu, Valetini, Wilson, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Naisarani to a spot in that stacked backrow - as all of them are showing form right now.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah clearly Laurie has been approached, and discussions have taken place. No idea why he hasn't signed on the dotted line, but I don't think the obvious answer is 'RA incompetence'.

Tbf - wasn't suggesting incompetence, I think for the first time since we went semi-professional and got the jump on other nations, we've actually got a class leader in Castle.

I've just heard bugger all noise or enthusiasm in the media about him being approached or wanted, and then it comes out that McKeller seems to be the preferred option. Rather confusing - it seems from the outside to be a no brainer that Fischer comes in as test forward/breakdown tech coach to complete what looks like a dream team, with a dream batch of youngsters about to burst onto the scene, while McKeller remains HC and actually wins something so we get a bit of positivity and success in our sails again.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Blindside - Valetini/Wright

Open - Hooper, Samu

8 - Naisirani/Wilson

Does me, pick you backrow from that batch, depending on form/injury. Dempsey up there along with McCaffrey as arguables.

Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Phillip and whichever other lock really stands out over the next 2 months. Simmons to go collect a big paycheck in Japan.

Front row pretty sorted, hooker the only position that isn't clear atm. Fainga'a and Uelese look the best, Rangi to be the third hooker at this stage.