• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...official-wallabies-squad-20200425-p54n7p.html

This will keep the "Too many Tahs" brigade happy.

Admittedly, not many Tahs have really pushed their selection this year from the few rounds we have had.
No surprises there. Kurtley hasn’t done enough to wear gold this year, but at the end of the article Tom says he will still be an invaluable squad inclusion. That’s what I’ve been saying will happen if and when a squad assembles - he will be in it, but just won’t play. Simmons will be a rung higher, he will be the bench lock.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
DHP's contract was signed in early 2019 for 2 years (2020 and 2021).

Beale's contract was signed in mid 2019 after Folau's exit for one more year (2020). He was definitely the beneficiary of Folau's exit including getting the keys to Folau's Land Rover.

Thank you, that does clear it up and makes sense.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yes of course sorry. Probably more about the 12 options I feel there is a problem on the horizon. Really need Simone to show something more, or for one to come through in the next couple U20 ranks.

SMH reporting that Simone is in the wider list being considered. I expect Matt To'omua and James O'Connor are also possible No 12s. ATM I would guess that MT is likely to be the starting No 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, and while Simone has not had any time prior with the Wallabies, his form at Super level last year and this has been improving and is now excellent. I have no doubt that he can develop into a more than adequate No 12 for the Wallabies if called upon.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Simone’s absence in the ‘landers game highlighted how good he’s become and how important he’s been in the Brumbies backline functioning so well.........

There should be no surprise that him and Lolesio are on Rennie’s list - they’ve been the best performing 10/12 combination this year.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Not sure where to put this so here will do to keep the cobwebs off this thread, it's only for novelty value anyway, saw an interview earlier with Choc Mundine and he claims that Eddie Jones offered him the #10 jersey for the RWC (he couldn't remember what year!). LOL, Bernie Larkham would have been pissed.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not sure where to put this so here will do to keep the cobwebs off this thread, it's only for novelty value anyway, saw an interview earlier with Choc Mundine and he claims that Eddie Jones offered him the #10 jersey for the RWC (he couldn't remember what year!). LOL, Bernie Larkham would have been pissed.
2003 it would have been

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I saw that on the Fox Rugby Twitter feed and skipped over it thinking it to be more fox muck raking

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
It's both refreshing and unsurprising that beale is on the 'outer' with the new coaching setup. When was he last selected on consistent form rather than promise or potential?

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
So he has consistently defended to the standard reasonably expected of a player (a pro player, I mean, not a subbie) at his position, has he?

There's more to rugby than counter attacking and chip kicks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So he has consistently defended to the standard reasonably expected of a player (a pro player, I mean, not a subbie) at his position, has he?

Our options last year:

DHP had an all time 'mare against he Springboks at the start of the test season.
Banks had an average game.
Beale had a brilliant impact off the bench in South Africa and generally started the test season well.

His form certainly tailed off over the season and by the end of the RWC we should have been starting DHP at fullback.

Banks was certainly unlucky not to make the RWC squad but it was considered his versatility put him behind the others. He was just considered at fullback and that worked against him.

If we were selecting fullback solely on their defence then Beale wouldn't have been picked. It's clearly the weakest component of his game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Yeah? For example, he was instrumental at 12 during the 15 RWC and he was one of our best backs when he first came back from England.

He's certainly fallen away in the last few years, though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
SMH reporting that Simone is in the wider list being considered. I expect Matt To'omua and James O'Connor are also possible No 12s. ATM I would guess that MT is likely to be the starting No 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, and while Simone has not had any time prior with the Wallabies, his form at Super level last year and this has been improving and is now excellent. I have no doubt that he can develop into a more than adequate No 12 for the Wallabies if called upon.

Simone is the form 12 IMO. It would be nice to pick players for the position they are playing in (not that anyone is playing anymore). For example, id like to see To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) duking it out for 10 - with Simone and Stewart the frontrunners for 12.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Beale has been a pretty major liability in defence for most of his test career. Pretty much every super season (where it's not quite as obvious) we hear he has fixed it up and things will be fine this year. That has never come to fruition. Countless times playing 12 (and even during this period where he was supposedly performing) he has been very weak in defence which, in my view, is a bit of an issue when you are playing 12. Holding on for dear life and eventually brining the man down (after the help arrives, usually) after he has been dragged 5 metres further downfield is not as bad as outright misses but it still puts the opposition on attack.

I'm completely unsurprised that a NZ coach more recently playing in Scotland has evidently minimal interest in Beale at test level. How many diamond games (which is one in every 5 if you are lucky) are we gonna get out of him even if did stay in Aus?