• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm completely unsurprised that a NZ coach more recently playing in Scotland has evidently minimal interest in Beale at test level. How many diamond games (which is one in every 5 if you are lucky) are we gonna get out of him even if did stay in Aus?

Beale's form has been terrible this year and the Tahs are comfortably the worst Australian side.

It's not at all surprising that he's been left out of a virtual squad regardless of who the coach is.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's both refreshing and unsurprising that beale is on the 'outer' with the new coaching setup. When was he last selected on consistent form rather than promise or potential?

Since he was selected for his "years of experience" dating back to something like 2016, ie, after the 2015 RWC.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So he has consistently defended to the standard reasonably expected of a player (a pro player, I mean, not a subbie) at his position, has he?

There's more to rugby than counter attacking and chip kicks.

Yep, like crabbing cross-field and taking the space of outside players. His defense has long been unmentionable, mainly due to being virtually invisible.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Since he was selected for his "years of experience" dating back to something like 2016, ie, after the 2015 RWC.

wasn't he in England for 2016?

I get it, he's divisive. It's hard to argue that a 92 cap Wallaby hasn't deserved to be called up for most of his career though.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Nah D. I find it quite easy, in fact, to argue that he hasn't earned the number of caps he's been awarded (as is the case with one other not to be mentioned atm). I don't hold any belief that many will agree with me, but I will continue to argue while ever he is in the frame for selection.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah D. I find it quite easy, in fact, to argue that he hasn't earned the number of caps he's been awarded (as is the case with one other not to be mentioned atm). I don't hold any belief that many will agree with me, but I will continue to argue while ever he is in the frame for selection.
It just seems so irrational. You know better than every coach and selector he's played under? considering his test career began in 2009 that's 3 separate coaches consistently picking him - including a Kiwi.

Granted last few years hes been poor and i have also advocated dropping him. But over his whole career? bollocks.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Simone is the form 12 IMO. It would be nice to pick players for the position they are playing in (not that anyone is playing anymore). For example, id like to see To'omua and JOC (James O'Connor) duking it out for 10 - with Simone and Stewart the frontrunners for 12.

Nah to me whoever gets 10 out of JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua the other gets 12 as both form wise ahead of Stewart and Simone agree Simone deserves to be in mix for squad place.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have been pleasantly surprised by the form of both O’Connor & To'omua at 10. I rate both, but would have said before this season that neither is a 10 and they are doing a good job of proving me wrong. I’d probably have one at 10 & the other at 12 and I’ll leave it to Rennie as to which way around that should be.

I would have Lolesio & Harrison both in the broader squad. Lolesio has been the better of the two for sure, but in an ordinary Tahs squad I feel Harrison has shown plenty of promise. Not ready for test football, but enough to have him involved in the squad and learning the ropes given our dearth of options.

Simone & Stewart are both real good news stories for me. Both guys who showed early promise and then probably struggled to kick on/command a spot. Now they seem to be finding their niche and are probably better players for having to work a bit harder. I’d love to see both get a chance to go a step further, but I think Simone is probably further up the pecking order - not really so much on his form, although it probably has been a bit better, but I just think he is a bit further down the line with the maturity of his game. I could see a place for Simone on the bench.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hope Rennie goes for a pretty lean squad, he will have his work cut out getting to know the players, and vice versa, better to concentrate on the likely lads and pour the work and the coaching into them.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Braver than me - I wouldn't have! Although he'd be at the low end of risk.
Can understand it, he’s in possibly a premiership winning side there. If it comes good here and goes pear there he can just fly back, it’s only a couple of weeks of balcony runs and he can join up up with our troops.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It just seems so irrational. You know better than every coach and selector he's played under? considering his test career began in 2009 that's 3 separate coaches consistently picking him - including a Kiwi.

Granted last few years hes been poor and i have also advocated dropping him. But over his whole career? bollocks.
The real question is were they picking him because he was the best option available, or because he really deserved a spot due to his abilities?

I place him with the likes of Folau and Cooper. They have significant skills missing that you would like a Test Rugby player to possess, but they were the best available for selection and so they were picked. This was made easier, similarly with Beale because they had outstanding attributes that could win games on occasions, and these flashes of brilliance stuck in the mind longer than any flaws they had.

3 separate coaches needed to select a team, maybe it is that simple.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The real question is were they picking him because he was the best option available, or because he really deserved a spot due to his abilities?

I place him with the likes of Folau and Cooper. They have significant skills missing that you would like a Test Rugby player to possess, but they were the best available for selection and so they were picked. This was made easier, similarly with Beale because they had outstanding attributes that could win games on occasions, and these flashes of brilliance stuck in the mind longer than any flaws they had.

Depends which season you’re looking at. He was nominated for world player of the year once, that doesn’t happen just because. However, I agree with the general gist of your post.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

D take a rational look at my initial post to which you replied. I specifically mentioned the period after the 2015 RWC. In that period, there was only one coach and My contention is that Cheika continued to pick him regardless of poor form based on his years of experience before. And yes, I do believe I had a better record, as informal as it is on a site like this, than Cheika had in player selections over that period, as many others did as well. Cheika was a boil on the arse of Australian Rugby.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Beale has that quite rare skill in Aus rugby of being able to see opportunities well before anyone else

And as to "significant skills missing" that is the norm for Aus rugby players, the complete footballer is rare as unicorn shit

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
wasn't he in England for 2016?

I get it, he's divisive. It's hard to argue that a 92 cap Wallaby hasn't deserved to be called up for most of his career though.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Beale has that quite rare skill in Aus rugby of being able to see opportunities well before anyone else

And as to "significant skills missing" that is the norm for Aus rugby players, the complete footballer is rare as unicorn shit

The question is would we be better off with a player who makes the team better or a player that's better than the team. In the last dozen years Australian sides have not been bigger than their parts.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The question is would we be better off with a player who makes the team better or a player that's better than the team. In the last dozen years Australian sides have not been bigger than their parts.

Agreed, it is always about getting the team balance right

I just get annoyed with the constant focus on "x" weaknesses and not what they contribute.

Quade at his evil best made you not care that he couldn't tackle (neither could Mehrtens and many foreign poster claimed Larkham was a speed bump as well), it is when they aren't contributing enough that the weakness is brought up.

Beale isn't contributing enough to justify covering for his weaknesses