• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Article in teh Australian saying as few as 3 Waratahs could be in Rennies extended PONI list atm.

3 seems rough considering PONI could be quite broad.

They've already said Bell, so I'm going to add Hooper anddddd Simmons (though for 2020, mayyyyyybe 2021)

Dempsey should have an eye kept on him but Wilson and Valetini are probably ahead of him along with Samu and Naisarani, so just missing out I'd say.

Harrison will get his chances, but Maddocks is behind DHP & Banks and probably Kellaway, Campbell and Wright at this stage.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Haven’t seen the list , but the Australian breaks it down to 14 from the Reds, 12 Brumbies, 8 Rebels and 3 Waratahs, so assuming there is a list out there somewhere.

Names mentioned across a few sources that are fresh faces are Blyth , Wright , McReight , Wilson and Pasami from the Reds ; and Lolesio and Simone from the Brumbies .

Most stories seem to centre on the absence of Beale......

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
FP, I tend to agree re Gordon, however I don't see any real standout 9's in those first few rounds, I still think Powell is capable but no more than that. I also agree re Harrison, although he probably needed a couple more games. His first couple were a bit non-descript, but agree, the last couple he really did look pretty good. Another I thought might have got a start was HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), while swapping sides has been a bit of a tough one for him, he's been pretty solid for a couple of years now (certainly one of the Tahs best, although that doesn't set the bar very high) and a prop who can play both sides is always an asset.

Still, I guess it will be three too many for BR ;)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
9's ought to be White starting and McDermott finishing, IMO. Wouldn't be upset with either of Powell or Gordon on the bench but they don't really blow you away.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
FP, I tend to agree re Gordon, however I don't see any real standout 9's in those first few rounds, I still think Powell is capable but no more than that. I also agree re Harrison, although he probably needed a couple more games. His first couple were a bit non-descript, but agree, the last couple he really did look pretty good. Another I thought might have got a start was HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), while swapping sides has been a bit of a tough one for him, he's been pretty solid for a couple of years now (certainly one of the Tahs best, although that doesn't set the bar very high) and a prop who can play both sides is always an asset.

Still, I guess it will be three too many for BR ;)

Froggy, I have always said, that as soon as KB (Kurtley Beale) is out of the picture (preferably State-wise as well as national from my pov) I will be more than happy to see deserving Tahs players in the mix. To me, KB (Kurtley Beale) has been the poisoned apple in the box that has tainted all he came in contact with. My other long held view is that Rob Simmons is not at test level, and that's a view I've held since he played for the Reds. So, that in not anti-Tahs, more just anti-Rob.

I really do think HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) should consider himself unlucky if he misses out. He is a top line prop imo, better than Bell, but both have immense potential so should both be there. The likes of Harrison, Harris, Tafa and Nawaqanitawasi all have potential and probably will make the grade for national representation in the future. But with both To'omua and O'Connor most likely being seen as No 10s, there was probably only space for one more in the squad, and Lolesio (despite my early reservations) has been the stand out among the new players coming through. Andrew Deergan would be disappointed if he isn't in the mix too.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not sure TBH, assume the 4 locks would then be, Rodda, Phillip, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and one of Hockings or Blyth..or Neville.or Swain..

Yep. My ranking of the Locks would be Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Philip, Neville, Swain, Blyth, Hockings, and then Rob Simmons. Swain, Blyth and Hockings could be in any order and they'll be fighting for the top spots in a few years to come I think.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip are certainly the best three locks in Oz right now IMO, after that I think the field's pretty open. I agree with BR (think it must be Coronavirus) that Simmons is not there right now, in fact I thought a couple of his performances should have seen him on the bench for the Tahs in the bit of season we had.
One thing I do have a strong opinion on is that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is a lock, not a six!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Purely out of the Reds locks - Blyth has been consistently good for the Reds this year and the best of our locks and has played in most games.

Rodda was well below his best, which I assume probably relates to his injury. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) has been very good too, but has mostly had 6 on his back. Hockings also has a late return from injury and has been caught out a bit with his accuracy at the break down IMO.

I would still have a fit Rodda & LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) ahead at national level but Blyth is making the most of his opportunity.

Edit: I would add that one concern with all the Reds locks would have to be the performance of our lineout maul & lineout maul defence. Not sure why they aren’t better at that, but they really struggle.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I really do think HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) should consider himself unlucky if he misses out. He is a top line prop imo, better than Bell, but both have immense potential so should both be there. The likes of Harrison, Harris, Tafa and Nawaqanitawasi all have potential and probably will make the grade for national representation in the future. But with both To'omua and O'Connor most likely being seen as No 10s, there was probably only space for one more in the squad, and Lolesio (despite my early reservations) has been the stand out among the new players coming through. Andrew Deergan would be disappointed if he isn't in the mix too.

Well put.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Why would Andrew Deegan be in the mix? Surely there are at least 4 contenders in front of him.