• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Do we really need 4 front-line jumpers? I'd have thought 3 proper ones (so pick either a 6 or an 8 that is good at it since they're likely to be taller) and a part-timer as a change up option (any other of the back-row), with a good 2 and 16 and some thoughtful calling ought to do the job. Just my 2c.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If there is no Philip then LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) must be played at lock. Who else would we play, Simmons?

On form this year, Neville would be the next best pure lock, and there's some speculation that he is in Rennies first list, while Simmons isn't.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Can LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) call a lineout? Bit concerned if Rodda is injured who is going to run the show if we’ve got a young bloke on the pine.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Can LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) call a lineout? Bit concerned if Rodda is injured who is going to run the show if we’ve got a young bloke on the pine.
From comments on here I believe Blyth has been running the Qld lineout.

A bit concerning though when pretty much every team mate interviewed for Reds radio nominated him as their most uncoordinated teammate. :)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would he really?

Yes. As I said, on form this year. So, he is in front of Hockings who had a slow start to the year, Staniforth and Simmons at the Tahs, and any of Philip's partners at the Rebels. Swain has been out of the picture with injury at the Brumbies and I believe Douglas isn't eligible.

Therefore : Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Philip, Blyth and Neville are the form locks.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have had high hopes for Neville right from the outset of his career. One reason was that he had been an elite rower, so his engine must be in the very top echelons.

But I have a bit of a worry as to how he will go when, and if, he takes the field in the national colours. We never know how a player will stand up to it, particularly a tight forward. He does look tougher and more committed this season, I must admit. Or did, back when we had some footy to watch.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Makes me yearn for the good old, bad old, days when there was no lifting. None of this calling bullsh*t either. Just heave it in, and go for it!!! And may the better man win!!!

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
There was certainly calling. Early on their used to be plenty of lifting, too (illegal of course) until they made us all stand a metre apart and you could see the lifting :). When I was in about U13's and earlier the blind side winger used to throw the ball into the lineout!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
There was certainly calling. Early on their used to be plenty of lifting, too (illegal of course) until they made us all stand a metre apart and you could see the lifting :). When I was in about U13's and earlier the blind side winger used to throw the ball into the lineout!!
Yep, I remember when I started in U-11s and played wing and got to throw in all the time. Occasionally straight-ish too! ;)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do we really need 4 front-line jumpers? I'd have thought 3 proper ones (so pick either a 6 or an 8 that is good at it since they're likely to be taller) and a part-timer as a change up option (any other of the back-row), with a good 2 and 16 and some thoughtful calling ought to do the job. Just my 2c.

we just need a bloody hooker who can consistently hit the mark. Two preferably.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There was certainly calling.

Not in any of the teams I played for. Mind you, that was a long time ago. We did not even practise lineout work at training, I doubt that the average winger practised his throwing. It was a lottery.

Talking about lifting, I remember when David Hillhouse was brought into the national team, the coach had to invite the referee to training to watch him jump: he had a phenomenal leap, and most whistleblowers would naturally assume that he had been lifted.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Is your thinking Wright at 7 is the way to improve the lineout and allow us to play the most balanced backrow around the park?

Not specifically. It's reaction to selections past and a need to keep things balanced. We have been recommending (or some have) a player into the backrow who is not a noted jumper. Who then are the jumpers?

All the new guys have the chance to make a claim. Hopefully including Wroght.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Makes me yearn for the good old, bad old, days when there was no lifting. None of this calling bullsh*t either. Just heave it in, and go for it!!! And may the better man win!!!
Of course there was always calling, even when the winger threw it in.
The half's foot was the key. Closest to the sideline forward? Throw to 2.
Outside foot forward? Throw to 6.
Feet parallel? Throw to 4.
Dockyard brawl to follow.
Everyone Knows This.