• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Rugbyman2023

Peter Burge (5)
Certainly the back line and most likely the whole team revolves around Kerevi being fit, he is the best centre in the world and probably the most impactful player around

he gets the team over the gain line every run, and draws defenders to create space outside

no one else comes close

If the wallabies play around him going forward, impact runners like taniela/ valatini/ Sami/ leota and then releasing the outdid backs in marika, petaia, kellaway and Wright

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reckon were on the verge of another Ed Craig situation here peeps, get out your popcorn & enjoy the ride I say
Surprised we haven't already seen this

Screenshot_20230403-202543.png

For the Love of the Game

Stan Wickham (3)
There’s no better tackler at #10 including QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) and Foley. They all go hiding except Gordon.
There’s no better tackler at #10 including QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) and Foley. They all go hiding except Gordon.
Not trying to be sarcastic but if his tackling display on the weekend is the best Australia has to offer we are in serious trouble. That being said, no 10, to my best knowledge anyway, has ever tackled his team into a WC final or any final for that matter. I am not a Foley fan but when it comes to QC (Quade Cooper) and the 10 jersey, I will give it to you in writing: No QC (Quade Cooper), no final, not even a semi final. Would be lucky to play quarter finals without QC (Quade Cooper).

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Certainly the back line and most likely the whole team revolves around Kerevi being fit, he is the best centre in the world and probably the most impactful player around
He's the most important player in the backline. You don't have another option like him, if he isn't in the team you have to change your game plan.

The WBs World Cup opportunity depends on how fit and injury free are: Bell, Tupou, Valetini, Kerevi and Koroibete. Moreover, you have to find a reliable kicker, Lynagh? I have not idea. But those 5 players are the heart of the team. Second row is quite competitive like backrow. Outside backs are pretty similar in level, the only top class is Koroibete. For the right winger you have plenty options and all are in a similar level

Last edited:

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Yes we have a favourable draw at the RWC. That doesn't change the fact that we aren't considered a contender. Clearly any team that makes the semi-finals is a chance. You just have to win two games in a row.

As I said, very few of our players.

I agree that it is improbable, but if the stars align it is possible. The Wallabies, at their best, can beat anyone in the world. They have done so, just not often. So much depends on health and form. They need Bell, Kerevi, Quade, Tupou to be fit and some players to be in top form at 2, lock, 6-7, and the outside backs. The players have the potential to be there, but there's little margin for error. Jones has a heck of a job ahead of him, that's for sure.

I can at least envision a lot of players being capable of playing as well, man for man, as the current Irish team and All Black's. Which you can't say for Italy or even IMO Argentina. My only point is that I don't think Hanigan will ever be at the level of a Franco Mostert, say, while others at least have the potential to be there, or close to it (Leota, Swinton).

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
the thing I like most about Carter Gordon missed tackles - they are always around the torso, slide down to the legs.

Donaldson, NL, Quade… those options all seem to enter the tackle zone in an upright position. If you think some of these flyhalf built like a featherweight boxer are going to stop a rampaging no8 running at them with a chest high tackle - then we are in serious trouble in those channels

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I know Will Harrison hasn't played for two years (and still isn't back) and before everyone piles into me, yes I know some people never return to their pre-injury form and we will just have to see what he can bring. But when they were all 20, he was clearly ahead of Donaldson and Edmed, and probably pretty close to Lolesio, considering at that time he was playing behind a pack on roller skates. He was, imo, clearly the best defender of the 10's, and probably the best goal kicker in the country at the time.
I was one who was sceptical of the hype around Carter Gordon last year, but happy to put my hand up and say I was wrong, he's the real deal and certainly the outstanding Australian 10 thus far into the season.
I am also a little sceptical about the whole Quade thing. He has always been, imo, something of a flawed genius, and as such has always had those who saw him as the messiah (particular among Reds supporters). However IF he's fit for the WC, he had, what, two pretty good games and one fairly indifferent one before being injured. I remain to be convinced he's the key to success in the WC, despite the aura that seems to surround him (and gets better every week he's away).
And a final word on 10's, I actually think Jack Debreczeni is more effective than Lolesio this season. In fact, I would regard him as the second best 10 in the country right now.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Jack has all the pre requisites of being an exceptional 10 in my opinion and always has. Just has never strung it all together. Would be interesting to see him given the reigns in a couple games at the brumbies from the first whistle

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
why can’t we just admit all these players have faults? A couple of decent games and now Carter Gordon is Dan Carter apparently, beyond reproach
There is admitting the have faults and spouting falsehoods ie you trying to say Noah is better defensively then Gordon.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know Will Harrison hasn't played for two years (and still isn't back) and before everyone piles into me, yes I know some people never return to their pre-injury form and we will just have to see what he can bring. But when they were all 20, he was clearly ahead of Donaldson and Edmed, and probably pretty close to Lolesio, considering at that time he was playing behind a pack on roller skates. He was, imo, clearly the best defender of the 10's, and probably the best goal kicker in the country at the time.
I was one who was sceptical of the hype around Carter Gordon last year, but happy to put my hand up and say I was wrong, he's the real deal and certainly the outstanding Australian 10 thus far into the season.
I am also a little sceptical about the whole Quade thing. He has always been, imo, something of a flawed genius, and as such has always had those who saw him as the messiah (particular among Reds supporters). However IF he's fit for the WC, he had, what, two pretty good games and one fairly indifferent one before being injured. I remain to be convinced he's the key to success in the WC, despite the aura that seems to surround him (and gets better every week he's away).
And a final word on 10's, I actually think Jack Debreczeni is more effective than Lolesio this season. In fact, I would regard him as the second best 10 in the country right now.
The thing with Quade, he never had the maturity to maximise his talent.

This is a big problem with Australian rugby, because the depth of talent isn’t there like it is in other parts of the world players in the pathway system can get by on talent. This means they aren’t eliminating those bad habits from their game as kid growing up.

The greater the depth through the pathways the better the final product will be as they will have to fight at every level to make that rep side. They will have to look to how they can improve and better themselves

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Why are we all talking about tackling and 10s? It’s important but it’s not in the equation for why a player will be picked in that position. As long as they are competent and aren’t a massive liability in defense the coach wouldn’t be putting an x through any player if they pass, kick, organise and take the line on to an elite level.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why are we all talking about tackling and 10s? It’s important but it’s not in the equation for why a player will be picked in that position. As long as they are competent and aren’t a massive liability in defense the coach wouldn’t be putting an x through any player if they pass, kick, organise and take the line on to an elite level.
It is important to have someone who can defend in the front line and you don’t have to hide back at 15.

Yes is someone is clearly a superior play maker they would get the nod.

You could say it’s like fielding in cricket, you have two batsmen averaging 45 in FC cricket and one spot in the side. Ones a liability in the field the other fields like Mark Waugh.

You pick the guy who is a gun in the field

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We focus on a units weaknesses, not their strengths, I do it, we all do it

It reminds me of the bitching over Hooper's missed tackle stats, the guys shoots out to interrupt the attack, that is a low percentage play, but in his role as defined by the coaches

But a 10 should be able to make his front on tackles or at least be brave enough bend his back and be a speed bump as he slows a attacker down

Gordon does that but is criticized for also throwing himself into harder defensive moments out wider while scrambling? He should be applauded