• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I reckon Tom Lynagh will have a big say post RWC. He’s a genuine 10 just like his old man. The most natural playmaker of all our young options.
Hasn't yet played much at Super Rugby level but admittedly he did look good and composed early on. But I wouldn't say he is a more natural playmaker than Carter Gordon at this stage of their developments. Wouldn't surprise me if Carter is No 1 in years to come with Lynagh in his shadow a bit.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I know Will Harrison hasn't played for two years (and still isn't back) and before everyone piles into me, yes I know some people never return to their pre-injury form and we will just have to see what he can bring. But when they were all 20, he was clearly ahead of Donaldson and Edmed, and probably pretty close to Lolesio, considering at that time he was playing behind a pack on roller skates. He was, imo, clearly the best defender of the 10's, and probably the best goal kicker in the country at the time.
I was one who was sceptical of the hype around Carter Gordon last year, but happy to put my hand up and say I was wrong, he's the real deal and certainly the outstanding Australian 10 thus far into the season.
I am also a little sceptical about the whole Quade thing. He has always been, imo, something of a flawed genius, and as such has always had those who saw him as the messiah (particular among Reds supporters). However IF he's fit for the WC, he had, what, two pretty good games and one fairly indifferent one before being injured. I remain to be convinced he's the key to success in the WC, despite the aura that seems to surround him (and gets better every week he's away).
And a final word on 10's, I actually think Jack Debreczeni is more effective than Lolesio this season. In fact, I would regard him as the second best 10 in the country right now.
One thing Jack can do is tackle the biggest of the runners coming at him. Probably rate him the top tackling No 10 in the country.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Jack has all the pre requisites of being an exceptional 10 in my opinion and always has. Just has never strung it all together. Would be interesting to see him given the reigns in a couple games at the brumbies from the first whistle
Hmmm. Didn't he start at 10 in the first two games of the year where he steered the Brumbies to wins over the Tahs and the Blues?

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Why are we all talking about tackling and 10s? It’s important but it’s not in the equation for why a player will be picked in that position. As long as they are competent and aren’t a massive liability in defense the coach wouldn’t be putting an x through any player if they pass, kick, organise and take the line on to an elite level.
Agree. What’s the point of having a great ‘defensive’ 10 if they can’t make a break or get the ball wide quickly and organise the backline. Young Quade was a terrible defender yet what he offered in attack was at times freakish. Carlos Spencer for the ABs similar. I do worry if he doesn’t make it back which is why Jones has called In Gordon and Donaldson to see if they can play his game plan. Jones loves winning so I’m sure he knows what he is doing. They know what Quade, Foley and Noah offer. Loved JOC (James O'Connor) in his heyday, just never thought 10 was his position. Eddie‘s first Test team and results will be eagerly awaited no doubt.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Hmmm. Didn't he start at 10 in the first two games of the year where he steered the Brumbies to wins over the Tahs and the Blues?
Correct. I suspect he may be given a starting role next game. He has been around for a while but probably looking the best he has ever been.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I remember being on another more toxic rugby message board reading continuously of Larkham's defensive frailties from pommy posters after he was run over by some angry backrower

Clearly we would have done better with Phil Waugh at 10

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Sounds like what we're really looking for is to return Reece Hodge to the 10 jersey.

Clearly the best defensive 10 we have available. ;)
EPKtd3tU0AAAmzn.jpg

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Why are we all talking about tackling and 10s? It’s important but it’s not in the equation for why a player will be picked in that position. As long as they are competent and aren’t a massive liability in defense the coach wouldn’t be putting an x through any player if they pass, kick, organise and take the line on to an elite level.
Huh? If this is the thinking at Wallaby level then I'm not surprised the AB's put 50 on us every year

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Agree. What’s the point of having a great ‘defensive’ 10 if they can’t make a break or get the ball wide quickly and organise the backline. Young Quade was a terrible defender yet what he offered in attack was at times freakish. Carlos Spencer for the ABs similar. I do worry if he doesn’t make it back which is why Jones has called In Gordon and Donaldson to see if they can play his game plan. Jones loves winning so I’m sure he knows what he is doing. They know what Quade, Foley and Noah offer. Loved JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) in his heyday, just never thought 10 was his position. Eddie‘s first Test team and results will be eagerly awaited no doubt.
And what did we win with a young Quade? What did the AB's win with Carlos Spencer?

We seem to ignore how important Dan Carter's defense was for NZ being so dominant for so long

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
the thing I like most about Carter Gordon missed tackles - they are always around the torso, slide down to the legs.

Donaldson, NL, Quade… those options all seem to enter the tackle zone in an upright position. If you think some of these flyhalf built like a featherweight boxer are going to stop a rampaging no8 running at them with a chest high tackle - then we are in serious trouble in those channels
You realize that makes it far easier for the player to offload, right?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Huh? If this is the thinking at Wallaby level then I'm not surprised the AB's put 50 on us every year
I could argue we lost about 50 tests of having Quade because of this thinking. His winning record is superior to any other Aus 10 in the last 15yrs. A large portion of 10s are hidden in some capacity these days.