• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I don’t know if I can continue this .

I honestly feel like I’m being trolled with what you are suggesting.

you ever see the wallabies in a tackling drill, what part of the tackle bag do you think they are aiming for? It’s never above the torso
Not a troll - 'ball and all' tackles are taught to a) slow down the ball; b) give the opportunity to rip the ball; c) hold the player up to form a maul

Their effectiveness as a 'tackle' in its purest sense can of course be limited, but that isn't their primary purpose.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I don’t know if I can continue this .

I honestly feel like I’m being trolled with what you are suggesting.

you ever see the wallabies in a tackling drill, what part of the tackle bag do you think they are aiming for? It’s never above the torso
Wait, have you never heard of a ball and all tackle?

Obviously there is a time and a place for all sorts of tackles, but the ball and all is a very effective way to stop teams offloading into contact I.E the Drua

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wait, have you never heard of a ball and all tackle?

Obviously there is a time and a place for all sorts of tackles, but the ball and all is a very effective way to stop teams offloading into contact I.E the Drua

I have not heard the term sorry.

like I said I was taught to go for the legs when I was in junior rugby. If the game has evolved and this is now something they teach then maybe this is one of the fundamental problems with Australian rugby.

I am certainly not a coach but if they teach you to go high now then your only promoting bad habits which either lead to
a) someone getting steamrolled over
b) some TMO wanting to interject about point of contact and asking the in field referee to issue a yellow/red card

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

like I said I was taught to go for the legs when I was in junior rugby. If the game has evolved and this is now something they teach then maybe this is one of the fundamental problems with Australian rugby.

I am certainly not a coach but if they teach you to go high now then your only promoting bad habits which either lead to
b) some TMO wanting to interject about point of contact and asking the in field referee to issue a yellow/red card
I get your point, and the way the rules are going, ankle tackles might be the only thing allowed soon

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The RFU's version of high, or actually high?

This is clearly World Rugby's view now and doesn't require any level of alarmism in my view.

The tackle that prevents an offload will still be legal. You're not aiming for between the upper chest area to prevent an offload, you're aiming for right around the bottom of the rib cage where players carry the ball.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I've been involved in junior/youth coaching for many years and I've never seen anyone coached in ball-and-all tackling. Although it's not inconceivable that the odd coach may choose to do that, they're usually flat out getting the guys to tackle at all (inside backs, I'm looking at you)

In league, they sometimes coach them to aim at-the-ball to dislodge it.

Certain international/pro teams focus on choke-tackles. Like Ireland that time, when Les Kiss was in the newspapers talking about choke-tackles for their upcoming Wobs game.

You read about and knew they were going to do it, I knew about it, the bloke at the corner shop knew about - but apparently Robbie Deans didn't know about it and sent Pat McCabe at them, bolt upright, over and over and over again....

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm sure someone with access to actual statistics will prove me wrong here, but the offload as a skill in rugby surely isn't something that all coaches/teams need to focus their tackling technique on. Only few players can execute it well time and time again, I doubt many attacking structures revolve around the ability for everyone in the team to be offloading.

It's still quite a risky play and generally in rugby, getting to ground with the ball, setting up a ruck and executing a quick recycle can be more effective in creating space than a mistimed offload.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I'm sure someone with access to actual statistics will prove me wrong here, but the offload as a skill in rugby surely isn't something that all coaches/teams need to focus their tackling technique on. Only few players can execute it well time and time again, I doubt many attacking structures revolve around the ability for everyone in the team to be offloading.

It's still quite a risky play and generally in rugby, getting to ground with the ball, setting up a ruck and executing a quick recycle can be more effective in creating space than a mistimed offload.
It depends on the players and the team. But when you play in a comp with a Fijian team and 6 NZ teams You would guess there would be a few offloads

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Junior/amateur games is very different. At professional level if you don't tackle high you're gifting the opposition ruck speed. Same principle exists (to a greater extent) in the NRL.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’ve seen a few articles pop up lately talking about a change at wallabies captaincy.

who’s everyone guess if it’s not Hooper? It’s gotta be someone in the squad whose position will pretty much go unchallenged.

there’s also a fair bit of youth in this team with some quiet individuals… if it’s a forward and it’s not Hooper… Valentini? (Could why brumbies fans tell me about Valentini captaincy credentials)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I still reckon Hooper will be the guy or one of the guys.

Had easily his best game of the season last weekend against the Brumbies.

He'll be first choice and ready to go when we get to test season.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm 100% sold on Gleeson and/or Samu @ 7 - I think Eddie will be too. Hooper (or McReight) will not win us at RWC @ 7.

Just basing this off the current trends I'm seeing at Test level and what's been successful.

Do we forget how Pocock (and Hooper) were refereed completely out of the game in the 2015 final? SA's dominance in 2019 and the Lions series didn't involve a genuine fetcher at all. Josh vdF is hardly a notable fetcher either - he's a tackling machine with good carrying ability (and height).

France use two 6.5s as well in Cros, Jelonch and Ollivon.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Gleeson starting over Valentini is a huge call qwerty51

Valentini just got a contract extension with the wallabies that takes him past the 2027 World Cup.

I am very much looking forward to these internal battles for positions/jerseys up for grabs