• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I don't know what kind of drugs Rugby Pass interns are consuming...
H86a8V1.md.jpg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Had a classic Tom Wright game tonight. I’ve thought he’s been alright this year and the positive has outweighed the negative which is always going to be part of his game I think.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The good ones - not sure if it's the 'best' team, but I imagine it'd be pretty exciting viewing
Look I’ll concede that I realise the positions between the codes aren’t interchangeable but isn’t Cleary a halfback, or a dummy half or something? And Murray is a prop right? And you’d never put a league convert at 8, but I’ll take that if you switch him with Valetini. Ill agree a team like that might even get a few mungoes watching

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Cleary is a Halfback which is as close to a 10 as league has.

Murray plays lock (ball playing forward) and was a Centre when he played union.

Haas is a Prop which 8 in Union is the logical position for them. Potentially 6. They shoved Burgess in the Centres but he was an athlete of a prop more than a beast. Also played some lock for Souths.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The only way to match NRL in Oceania is with a very similar competition. Something like NPC + Aussie Super Rugby sides + Drua and Moana

17 teams
10 Kiwis
5 Aussies
1 Fijian
1 Pacific Islander

The 250 best Aussie rugby players playing in the country (The current Super Rugby squads) can't compete against the 250 best Kiwis players buuuut the 250 best Aussie players could compete against the best 500 Kiwis players separate in 10 teams

That would spread the Kiwi talent in 10 teams and we will watch more games like the recent Tahs-Landers. A competitive transman competition.

You should mixed NZ Super Rugby teams with their provincial teams, like Crusaders and Canterbury in just one team. This competition would bring more entertaining and competitiveness.

But it's just a crazy idea. The Kiwis wouldn't give up their traditional domestic tournament in order to make their neighbors stronger but is what they need in long term cause France, Japan and NRL are coming for us

Marce

John Thornett (49)
10:5 is ridiculous. We’d destroy them.

8:6 is a good start with free movement and no restrictions.
The number of teams is debatable, it is only a preliminary project. Tonight we almost lose against a poor Landers side so I'm not sure what is the magic number.

Australia can't expand their 5 franchises without any improvement of them. 8/5 could be a more accurate proportion, I'm not sure but that MUST be the pathway. It's depends almost 100% of NZRU's will so it just a crazy idea but I believe 100% in a project like this. With the current system is impossible to grow the code in Australia.

You have to attract the diehards and casuals with more entertaining games, more competitiveness and more Australian victories

If the NRL were a competition of 5 Aussie teams and 5 Kiwis teams, the Aussie would smash the Kiwis every weekend. Something similar to what Super Rugby has become in recent seasons

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not sure what to make of Tom Wright. So fucking talented as a runner but just keeps doing brain dead stuff that is so costly at Test level / Test referees.
Examples from last night Qwerty? And not just the type of errors every player commits in any game, the really atrocious ones that qualify as "brain dead"?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If the Refs went full pedantic which they can at any moment his throwing the ball away when he went out would be one unforced penalty and even the no arms tackle where he went in on the Hooker. Normal action sure but if they had of checked it it would have been a penalty right in front of the posts.

His good is still outweighing the bad week on week now and these moments are becoming less frequent.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Throwing the ball away after it went into touch. Just like any of the miriad of players in every game who kick it to the shithouse after play is pulled up for a knock on or a penalty. The ball was already in touch and had been handled by Wright so there was no chance for a quick throw by the Canes. Had absolutely zilch impact on the game. And after Mitchell's YC/RC for doing that many years ago, not one referee has had the brain explosion to take any similar action since.

The tackle on Aumua was penalty worthy but again of a similar level to many others not using arms or around the head area in nearly every game.

I'd suggest there is a bandwagon effect showing itself in some comments about Wright.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not sure what to make of Tom Wright. So fucking talented as a runner but just keeps doing brain dead stuff that is so costly at Test level / Test referees.
He has improved by reducing this from his game, but he still demonstrates some pretty stupid stuff occasionally.
Test rugby needs player consistency so need to rid those 50/50 decisions, if he can reduce those from his game further he will be up there as one of the first picked.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Throwing the ball away after it went into touch. Just like any of the miriad of players in every game who kick it to the shithouse after play is pulled up for a knock on or a penalty. The ball was already in touch and had been handled by Wright so there was no chance for a quick throw by the Canes. Had absolutely zilch impact on the game. And after Mitchell's YC/RC for doing that many years ago, not one referee has had the brain explosion to take any similar action since.

The tackle on Aumua was penalty worthy but again of a similar level to many others not using arms or around the head area in nearly every game.

I'd suggest there is a bandwagon effect showing itself in some comments about Wright.
You’re correct about this but it has been caused by nobody other than Tom Wright. It’s no different to how a lot of Tahs fans are feeling about Ben Donaldson.

Should be a good sign that people are seeing improvement on this and haven’t given up.

Last edited:

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

Wright has speed and x factor …. I think he is bloody great. Despite what some critics say, he’s a Wallaby for a reason.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Huh? They can still do a quick throw, a French referee in a Test would yellow him for that 99% of the time. It’s just constant dumb stuff by him, atm he’s still in my 23 but we have Kellaway, Korobiete and Petaia who don’t do that dumb shit - especially Kellaway so he’s not a definite starter for me yet.

This type of stuff gets amplified at Test level compared to Super Rugby, it’s not acceptable. We’re already the worst disciplined side in the world, the attitudes need to change.