• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Terrible for us but Portugal beating us would be pretty incredible for everyone else.
More like the Rugby Australia board and people running it who have been responsible for the last 20 years, Eddie's one of a few world class coaches who have failed with this team
I would lock them all up for fraud, Eddie too. Australia were looking good with Rennie.

Jones is like a dishonest politician, similar to Trump, he talks a lot but delivers very little and is full of excuses.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I wouldn't have booted Rennie a year early, but it's fucking tough because his record was poor despite my general impression that Wallabies played some better rugby under him (though were still murdered by a combination of injuries, ill discipline and stupidity at times) and an experienced Australian international head coach became available at the wrong time.

Eddie's issue is ego-centricity. He seems obsessed with the project of finding new player(s), game plan(s) or innovations before anybody else. Sometimes it works, but mostly it doesn't. I'm yet to see a team where they personnel gets viciously renovated have an immediate pick up in results. When Eddie took over England, the initial squad turnover was expected to be savage but it wasn't. He was able to draw significantly better results out of a similar playing group to Lancaster by changing one or two technical/tactical things and their psychology. That was all he needed to do with the Wallabies to make them better than they were, and his complete renovation of the team would have been much more successful if he'd done it over 2-3 years rather than 6 months. He has a 5 year contract FFS and the only possible way he was getting sacked by Mclennan and Phil Waugh was by exiting the wallabies in the group stages of 2023 (which is now possible, but I still don't think they will boot him because there aren't any great alternatives at the moment).

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I'm seriously worried about Carter Gordon's future.

IMO he's one of the best 10 talents we've had in ages but he's been thrown into international rugby way too early and way too quickly.

He's basically had Australia's entire WC hopes put on his back and is looking less and less confident every game.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Much better than jones. We might not have been great, but we weren't the laughing stock of world rugby
Yes we were. England were itching to fire Jones earlier last year but they couldn't because they came to Australia and beat us despite being absolute dross

Eddie has done a shit job, but stop trying to re-write history

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm seriously worried about Carter Gordon's future.

IMO he's one of the best 10 talents we've had in ages but he's been thrown into international rugby way too early and way too quickly.

He's basically had Australia's entire WC hopes put on his back and is looking less and less confident every game.

I’m not worried

He will be goal kicking next year at rebels… he’s either a good goal kicker or his not… moving forward we will know on a bigger sample size.

If Carter is left out of future wallabies teams because goal kicking is prerequisite of 10
Then so be it …

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I’m not worried

He will be goal kicking next year at rebels… he’s either a good goal kicker or his not… moving forward we will know on a bigger sample size.

If Carter is left out of future wallabies teams because goal kicking is prerequisite of 10
Then so be it …
What if he is a great 10 and a poor goal-kicker?

Surely someone else can kick goals....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What if he is a great 10 and a poor goal-kicker?

Surely someone else can kick goals....

As we've seen currently it causes us to compromise elsewhere to fit in another goalkicker.

It makes it pretty easy to leave out Gordon if the upside he provides at 10 isn't viewed as being enough of an advantage over the alternative compared to making a change elsewhere.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
As we've seen currently it causes us to compromise elsewhere to fit in another goalkicker.

It makes it pretty easy to leave out Gordon if the upside he provides at 10 isn't viewed as being enough of an advantage over the alternative compared to making a change elsewhere.
Yeah - I'm just not sure that it's in the 10's job description to kick goals. Kuruvoli was great for Fiji today. Jordie Barret often kicks for the ABs.

If there were one or two 10's lining up to slot in, I guess that would be different but it seems EJ (Eddie Jones) has pretty staunchly tied the Wallabies to Gordon at 10. I mean, is Donaldson really the next Wallaby 10?

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
World Cups are not trials for future World Cups and that is what Eddie is doing with this World Cup. So many young and inexperienced players who are just not good enough for international rugby. They may in a year or two's time but not now. We have quality players at home sitting back laughing but no doubt disappointed they aren't there representing their country.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still cannot fathom the rationale behind only picking one (non-kicking) flyhalf for the squad.

It's obviously objectively illogical but I can't see what motivation EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) might have had except petulance? It's like we have a teenager managing the side.

None of the other options showed enough to justify their selection, they are all meh in their own unique areas

I can't believe any of the options left out would have done anything better

Unless one of them have shown some magical powers in the last month to succeed off back foot ball

A 10 struggling is a symptom of the forwards struggling

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah - I'm just not sure that it's in the 10's job description to kick goals. Kuruvoli was great for Fiji today. Jordie Barret often kicks for the ABs.

If there were one or two 10's lining up to slot in, I guess that would be different but it seems EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) has pretty staunchly tied the Wallabies to Gordon at 10. I mean, is Donaldson really the next Wallaby 10?

Sure, but if your alternative options at 10 are also the better goal kickers it makes it the easiest and most logical switch to make.

I don't think Donaldson is the next long term 10 for the Wallabies but if there is a change next game then I would say it is more likely that we see Donaldson at 10 and Kellaway at 15 than Gordon at 10 and Kellaway at 15. I'd say the status quo is most likely to continue though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
None of the other options showed enough to justify their selection, they are all meh in their own unique areas

I can't believe any of the options left out would have done anything better

Unless one of them have shown some magical powers in the last month to succeed off back foot ball

A 10 struggling is a symptom of the forwards struggling
At the very, very least it would have given us the option of having a goalkicker at 10 which means we can pick one of our most consistent backline players at 15.

It's not like he would have been obligated to play, for eg, Quade if he brought him. Just provides an option.

Anyway - yeah, wouldn't have made much difference. Just doesn't make any sense to me and seems indicative of EJ (Eddie Jones) being an absolute lunatic.