• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
No. Where did I say that?
Are you not saying that we are close to the point where the standard of Rugby in Australia is going to be so low that players will openly be saying they need to leave to get a decent game?
Players are currently leaving to go and play in leagues in Japan and USA, I dont think that is about playing a higher level of rugby than here... sure maybe when they head to france, but I dont see premiership rugby even being higher quality really, and i cant imagine many going to South Africa... I think we will be ok.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Are you not saying that we are close to the point where the standard of Rugby in Australia is going to be so low that players will openly be saying they need to leave to get a decent game?
Players are currently leaving to go and play in leagues in Japan and USA, I dont think that is about playing a higher level of rugby than here... sure maybe when they head to france, but I dont see premiership rugby even being higher quality really, and i cant imagine many going to South Africa... I think we will be ok.
I am, but that more so includes France, UK, Ireland for players who may be wallaby potential. However the calibre of players most often heading to Japan and the US are either those not currently making super squads, or players close to retirement.

For the former, I think you could argue that the US and Japan is actually a higher standard than QPR or SS. It essentially operates as a third tier for those players who would not otherwise play pro rugby. In the same vein, there's also NPC in NZ and even Curry Cup in RSA which both have had Aus eligible players in recent years.

In short I think both players who are close to wallaby potential as well as those close to super potential are having their development needs met better basically anywhere else in the pro rugby world than Australia.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For the former, I think you could argue that the US and Japan is actually a higher standard than QPR or SS. It essentially operates as a third tier for those players who would not otherwise play pro rugby. In the same vein, there's also NPC in NZ and even Curry Cup in RSA which both have had Aus eligible players in recent years.

Japan and US aren't really comparable. The standard in Japan is way higher and miles better than QPR or SS. The best Japanese teams would beat the bulk of Super Rugby sides in my view.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Japan and US aren't really comparable. The standard in Japan is way higher and miles better than QPR or SS. The best Japanese teams would beat the bulk of Super Rugby sides in my view.
Reds handily beat the Wild Knights last year in the invitational. I think the very best Japan teams are about equivalent to the worst super teams. But Japan has div 2 teams with heaps of Aussies running around as well.

Anyway, my broader issue is the number of Aus players in our pro development pathways (not enough and being snapped up for other nations) and the top players not getting to play a very high level consistently.

We may be in a position now where opening the flood gates for picking from foreign comps and just focusing on a third tier which is actually a second tier with no ambition of making money is the only possible way of making the Wallabies competitive.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Reds handily beat the Wild Knights last year in the invitational. I think the very best Japan teams are about equivalent to the worst super teams. But Japan has div 2 teams with heaps of Aussies running around as well.

Anyway, my broader issue is the number of Aus players in our pro development pathways (not enough and being snapped up for other nations) and the top players not getting to play a very high level consistently.

We may be in a position now where opening the flood gates for picking from foreign comps and just focusing on a third tier which is actually a second tier with no ambition of making money is the only possible way of making the Wallabies competitive.
From memory both Reds and WK played their also rans in this game.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't see any Japanese club side beating a Super Rugby Team at fill strength. Those touring Super Rugby sides are not their full strength squads.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I can't find a team list for the Wild Knights but from the highlights it looks like basically none of their best players were playing.

The Reds didn't have their best side either but the players the Wild Knights were missing are genuine top tier international players like Lood de Jager, Damien de Allende, Marika Koroibete etc.

The standard of the top Japanese sides is very good.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
. The best Japanese teams would beat the bulk of Super Rugby sides in my view.

no fricken way… the Japan top league is inferior competition to the greatest club competition in the planet and we really really need a Heineken cup world club competition to put the fallacy to rest which is better.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not sure if its been properly discussed yet. But what are thoughts on T. Hooper? He seems to be a divisive selection to people ive talked to irl.

Personally i'd pick about 3 playets above him.

Plus on another note. I get ARU has a lot of structural, cultural and institutional problems. But its only fault in this seemingly fail of a RWC campaign is sacking rennie.

With Rennie as coach. We easillllllyyyyy make it out of the group. The loss to Fiji is squarely on Jones shoulders.

Does anyone here actually think we should stick with Jones for 2025 and 2027? For those believers, do you actually reckon we will improve under him?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fine then, I'll do it.

Jesus, do I have to do everything around here?

Here is my team, all of whom will be on MASSIVE contract$$ from Rugby Australia.

You want the best you fucking pay us.

Treasurer: @Dismal Pillock
All The Dull Shitwork Going Around the Clubs Trying To Get All The Arseholes On The Same Page: @Pfitzy
Selectors: @Tomikin @Brumby Runner Responsible for fast-tracking all ACT Brumbies players directly into the Wallabies. Don't complain, nobody else in Australian rugby knows how to win.
Relentlessly Upbeat and Positive Social Media manager: @Derpus
Bondi Beach talent scout: @zer0
Bondi Beach talent scout: @Dismal Pillock
Fuck you - I'm not interested anyway in your "Business Model".

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Not sure if its been properly discussed yet. But what are thoughts on T. Hooper? He seems to be a divisive selection to people ive talked to irl.

Plus on another note. I get ARU has a lot of structural, cultural and institutional problems. But its only fault in this seemingly fail of a RWC campaign is sacking rennie.

With Rennie as coach. We easillllllyyyyy make it out of the group. The loss to Fiji is squarely on Jones shoulders.

Does anyone here actually think we should stick with Jones for 2025 and 2027? For those believers, do you actually reckon we will improve under him?
Hi Dave

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

I think on GAGR T Hooper is an uncontroversial pick in the match day squad (not necessarily the RWC squad) on here because of Skelton: running big Will and a non-jumping Openside means that you need a genuine Lineout operator at 6: other than shifting Frost or Philip there Hooper is the only option, as he other players who could maybe fill this role (Holloway, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hanigan, Swinton) are all not in frame to play.

A more conventional lock duo would have certainly opened up other options.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I think Hooper has actually been a positive find for the Wallabies. Playing him at 7 was stupid but he’s got the ability to play a long time for Australia.

I think Jones will be gone after 25 to give a coach time. Does Jones take up a GM of Rugby role?

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
For me it’s more likely to be McKellar, Cron or Coleman in terms of coaches developing. Kiss is what he is and probably a steady set of hands but that’s about it.

Larkham would be a guy I could see them liking from a PR point of view. People know the name.
2025-27 might be too soon but Cheika will 100% coach the Wallabies again