• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 40 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
That's good news, Mogg's inclusion went under the radar because of Neville but it was not deserving.

You're kidding right? I don't see how Foley, Morahan, Morefood, McCalman, Vuna or Tomane had performed any better than Mogg throughout this season to not deserve their place in the squad.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
You're kidding right? I don't see how Foley, Morahan, Morefood, McCalman, Vuna or Tomane had performed any better than Mogg throughout this season to not deserve their place in the squad.
Mogg has been hyped too much due to some brilliant moments, but overall he hasn't been that good. He's on the same level as Morahan, Vuna ect form wise for mine.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree, Mogg has not been perfect, but has been the best of a bad bunch for me. He looks like a great player for the future, but will be behind Beale for years and maybe will be limited by not having the exposure to other positions to be a utility back in the Wallabies.

P

Paradox

That's good news, Mogg's inclusion went under the radar because of Neville but it was not deserving.

Who would you have selected in front of him to play fullback that is not in the squad? Interesting how you single him out instead of the likes of Horne or Barnes . Last time I checked Horne had only broken 8 tackles all year and is one of the worst defensive players in the comp. That's appalling.

T

TOCC

Who would you have selected in front of him to play fullback that is not in the squad? Interesting how you single him out instead of the likes of Horne or Barnes . Last time I checked Horne had only broken 8 tackles all year and is one of the worst defensive players in the comp. That's appalling.

the easiest comparison would be the state of origin..

QLD stick with players even though they may be performing badly at club level(i.e. Darius Boyd) because they know they rise to the level at origin time(i.e. Darius Boyd 2 tries)
As opposed to NSW who pick players largely on their form at that point in the season, which i don't think is a fair reflection of how one would perform at the higher level.

The Wallabies would be silly to ignore players like Barnes and Horne who have proven themselves capable of player test rugby purely because their team as a whole is having a bad season.

T

Train Without a Station

The Wallabies would be silly to ignore players like Barnes and Horne who have proven themselves capable of player test rugby purely because their team as a whole is having a bad season.

I agree with the sentiment. But if you could clear up when exactly Rob Horne has proven in the test arena that he is an international quality player, everybody else who follows rugby would appreciate it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Wasn't aware Barnes and Horne had played their first season of professional rugby this year. I think there's too many fullbacks already in Foley, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Morahan. I would've had Gerrard over him

Horne has actually hit some form the last couple of games. I don't rate Barnes and never have, I wouldn't have picked him personally but it's really not hard to work out why he was picked. I'm very against picking super rugby rookies however.

T

TOCC

I agree with the sentiment. But if you could clear up when exactly Rob Horne has proven in the test arena that he is an international quality player, everybody else who follows rugby would appreciate it.

Explain to me what a international quality player is then then read what i said more clearly and identify where i said that....
Some players are capable of playing at test level as Horne did during the RWC, doesn't make them an international quality player..

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Explain to me what a international quality player is then then read what i said more clearly and identify where i said that....
Some players are capable of playing at test level as Horne did during the RWC, doesn't make them an international quality player..

I think he was doubting the line 'proven themselves capable of test rugby' line. In Horne's case I would also say the same. He hasn't prove all that capable, and surely if your form is average for club then you have to rely on previous representative honours being more than just capable anyway? In your example the likes of Boyd has proven to be a very good origin and test player recently, not just 'capable'.

Not that I wouldnt have him in my squad.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah Scotty pretty much what I meant. Neither one of the form players in his position this season, nor a previous performer. Just a player picked on potential... repeatedly... without reaching it.

T

TOCC

I think he was doubting the line 'proven themselves capable of test rugby' line. In Horne's case I would also say the same. He hasn't prove all that capable, and surely if your form is average for club then you have to rely on previous representative honours being more than just capable anyway? In your example the likes of Boyd has proven to be a very good origin and test player recently, not just 'capable'.

Not that I wouldnt have him in my squad.

Its my opinion that there is a big difference between someone like Rodney Davies who was exposed in the one test match he played and the likes of Rob Horne who held his own across the 9 test matches he has played.

One has displayed he is capable of playing at test level, he may not be one of the best in the country but when required he was able to step up and fill in that role.

Just highlighting that even though he might not have set the world alight in his performances for the Wallabies, he still has more credibility to his name at that level then the likes of Luke Morahan or Jessie Mogg.

T

Train Without a Station

Well you know what they say TOCC. Opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one, and most of them stink.

T

TOCC

yep, think you are reading to much into what I'm saying.. never said horne was the form player, nor did i say he was a international quality player(maybe in a few years), give then slim pickings of our talent pool especially in the centre department, there aren't many alternatives.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
the easiest comparison would be the state of origin..

QLD stick with players even though they may be performing badly at club level(i.e. Darius Boyd) because they know they rise to the level at origin time(i.e. Darius Boyd 2 tries)
As opposed to NSW who pick players largely on their form at that point in the season, which i don't think is a fair reflection of how one would perform at the higher level.

or have they underachieved because they stick with them? What is to say if they picked in form players they would not have been more impressive? Maybe this is why we cant beat the All Blacks, we stick with what we know and can beat almost any team but never try anything new which might allow us to lift to beat the all blacks.

If you keep doing what you have always done, you will keep on getting the same result. We seem to be getting the same result against the All Balcks

Status
Not open for further replies.