• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 40 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
fair enough but I would still like to see him at 13 with Barnes and cooper putting him into the gaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Deans had any brains, he'd switch them.

Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Fainga'a
McCabe
Tomane
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (he's the only one left, isn't he?)

Fainga'a is far more efficient at shifting the ball, and then backing up to received the ball again and shift again.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Well, in this case it would actually make sense. Fainga'a has been an inside centre all of his life, until the last year or two. McCabe's been an outside back.

It would theoretically make sense to play Fainga'a in his old spot, and McCabe outside him, closer to where he'd be more natural? And have a bit more space to work with, less responsibility to distribute the ball??

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I have to say I find the discussion about which is the best backrow for Aus to be fascinating. The best part about it is that most of the combinations of backrowers in the squad put forward will probably be seen at some point during the series as it's rare to have the same back row for an entire 3 match series. Changes normally come about due to a reaction to a defeat or giving others a chance if the first 2 tests have been won, or the one thing no true rugby fan wants to see, injury.

I'm looking forward to seeing how these combinations go, especially since the backrow is also an area where Wales are pretty competitive. I think last year the backrow battle was seen as Warburton v Pocock, even if it didn't happen during the WC. But this year there are players on both sides who've taken big steps forward and the battle is even more exciting.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Re Fainga'a, McCabe and Barnes.

We need to learn the lessons of the RWC and EOYT, and play Barnes at 12. Our backline stagnated with McCabe and Fainga'a (or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), or Horne), and it wasn't until the 3rd place playoff with a Cooper-Barnes combo that we started to hit our straps. By all means have one of them at 13, but not as a centre pairing please.

Barnes form is pretty good, and he has the proven class at that level. We need to learn the lessons of 2011.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

We need to learn the lessons of the RWC and EOYT, and play Barnes at 12. Our backline stagnated with McCabe and Fainga'a (or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), or Horne), and it wasn't until the 3rd place playoff with a Cooper-Barnes combo that we started to hit our straps. By all means have one of them at 13, but not as a centre pairing please.

Barnes form is pretty good, and he has the proven class at that level. We need to learn the lessons of 2011.

It wasn't until the third place play off that the tactics changed as well as the selections. Chicken/Egg.

Edit - not that I disagree with the premise of your post, but the change in play wasnt solely due to selection.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It wasn't until the third place play off that the tactics changed as well as the selections. Chicken/Egg.

Edit - no that I disagree with the premise of your post, but the change in play was soley due to selection.

Maybe, but could we have executed those tactics with McCabe and Fainga'a in the centres? On the evidence of 2011 I would doubt it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
AGreed, and we return to my arguments in the Tahs threads about tactics and why teams should decide their tactics and then select accordingly.

On the same token why did Deans decide on a defensive tactical set for the RWC and pick Cooper at 10?

Scotty

David Codey (61)

And not only does cooper improve with Barnes outside him, Barnes seems to improve when cooper is organising much of the attack.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
They both have very good footballing brains, just one panics a bit at times and the other is over conservative at times. One also has the complete attacking skillset while the other is more limited in attack but makes up for it in defence.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Last year, i'd have completely agreed. However, McCabe has introduced many new strings to his bow this year.

Not literally true but true in pro footy. Folks may not believe me but he always had the attributes you went on to describe - and more. He did all these things at the Rats and IIRR he even played flyhalf for the Oz U/19 team back in the day.

I was surprised that he played in such a limited way when he joined the Brumbies but hopefully all that is behind him and he can take those seldom seen things into test rugby. Mind you the 12 is always going to be the fellow that meets the tackle line first unless he plays deep; so let's not expect too much Fancy Dan stuff in traffic.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Vuna tweaked his hammy at training on Wednesday. Was 50/50 last night, my source before the game said he would be out (very reliable at the time). He played obviously, but looked bad at times.

As many have echoed, this Tuesday night test is too much.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
The Mowen sister (volleyballers) just posted on there facebook : Congratulations to our big brother Benny for being a late call up in the wallabies squad

Any media release on this one? Did someone get injured?

numbertwo

Peter Burge (5)
Really well-deserved, but I prefer him as a 6.

Mowen in Mogg out

ACT Brumbies captain Ben Mowen's brilliant form has been rewarded with a late call up to the Wallabies squad for the mid-season Test matches.
ACT Brumbies captain Ben Mowen has received a shock call up to the Wallabies less than a week after he was left out of coach Robbie Deans's 39-man squad.
Mowen will join the Wallabies in camp tonight as cover for injured Western Force back-rower Ben McCalman who is battling a shoulder problem.
Mowen's initial omission was a surprise to most after his outstanding leadership with the Brumbies this season.
Advertisement: Story continues below
In his first year with the club, he has guided Jake White's young squad to the top of the Australian conference as the Brumbies chase a finals berth.
But Deans - who was in Melbourne to watch the Brumbies play the Rebels last night - delivered the good news to Mowen at the team hotel this morning.
The 27-year-old will join the Wallabies squad in Sydney tonight as they prepare for the first international of the season against Scotland in Newcastle on Tuesday.
The other Brumbies in the squad flew to Sydney earlier today.
However, rookie fullback Jesse Mogg was cut from the squad.

Read more:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-union/mowen-wins-wallabies-selection-20120602-1zod9.html#ixzz1wcFO6zNW

Status
Not open for further replies.