• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 40 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Liquor box, can you really not see why some people are iffy on Higgers? You make him sound like the complete loose forward, beyond question. He may or may not be the best 6 or 8 this season, but he leaves a lot to be desired in his workrate. Pretty obvious I would have thought.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Liquor box, can you really not see why some people are iffy on Higgers? You make him sound like the complete loose forward, beyond question. He may or may not be the best 6 or 8 this season, but he leaves a lot to be desired in his workrate. Pretty obvious I would have thought.
Haven't heard this one before. If anyone thinks Higginbotham hasn't been the best 6/8, not to mention player, in the Australian conference they haven't been watching properly.

It's about balance, but not whether higgers brings the right workrate, he should be an automatic selection, his 6/8 partner should be selected to compliment him, not the other way around.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Haven't heard this one before. If anyone thinks Higginbotham hasn't been the best 6/8, not to mention player, in the Australian conference they haven't been watching properly.

It's about balance, but not whether higgers brings the right workrate, he should be an automatic selection, his 6/8 partner should be selected to compliment him, not the other way around.
Pick someone to tell Higgers he's good? they could pick any number of posters from this forum for that!

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)

Agree, I don't think higgers has the brains or brawn for test rugby.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agree, I don't think higgers has the brains or brawn for test rugby.
Really? I think that might be a fairly "out-there"assessment of a player who has been very good this year.
For me, with Higginbotham, it's all about balance. He works for the Reds, they play him a certain way. I am not sure that way works as well at Test level, but I have no doubt he can play a more traditional 6 game if required - he certainly has the brawn and skill for it. Not having met him, I can't comment on his brains, but I doubt that would be an issue.
we just haven't seen him be required to play a tighter game at higher level.
I think he is a very good player, and would be my top pick at 6, but not necessarily 8 for Tests.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)

So you want them to pick a 6/8 that can do the work of 2 loose forwards so higgers can hang out wide?

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
Really? I think that might be a fairly "out-there"assessment of a player who has been very good this year.
For me, with Higginbotham, it's all about balance. He works for the Reds, they play him a certain way. I am not sure that way works as well at Test level, but I have no doubt he can play a more traditional 6 game if required - he certainly has the brawn and skill for it. Not having met him, I can't comment on his brains, but I doubt that would be an issue.

Maybe I worded that to straight, I think he is a good player and does what is good at well, but it's not what the wallabies need.
we just haven't seen him be required to play a tighter game at higher level.
I think he is a very good player, and would be my top pick at 6, but not necessarily 8 for Tests.

Maybe I worded that too strongly, I think he is a good player and plays his game well but it's not what is needed at test level.

W

What2040

IMO the bloke plays (obviously) to the instructions of Link. He is probably complimented by other Reds forwards who are a pretty hard working group and maybe who take up some of the tight stuff to allow him to be a bit "looser". I think he is a better player this year than last.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Leave off mate, are yout trying to do TPN out of a job? :)

Looking at Gaggers excellent article on the front page and how surprisingly good McCalman's stats are, I wonder if he suffers a bit from "PoCloak". Even as Force supporter I tend to miss alot of Bennys work because I am quite often watching Pocock to see what he is doing and don't notice the work McCalman is doing. While the same could be said of Mowen and Hooper, the Force really only have one trick, and it's called David Pocock.

I would assume Deans and Co are watching alot of tape and specifically watching individual players to judge the effectiveness of their involvements (unlike myself and most others commenting). For them to have included him, he must be doing something right.

Yeah, realised this as soon as I posted then thought, as of late, TPN hasn't been getting up himself so there's a good chance of taking himself out as well.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Higgers is exactly what we need at test level. He's a genuine lineout option, has mongrel in attack and defence and can out run wingers. I don't think he should be looked down on because of the way he plays for the Reds. He fits into their style of play and does a great job. The best thing I have seen though is how he has developed over the last few years. It shows that he has the ability to change his style of play when instructed to do so.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Sorry guys, me and Bob Dwyer have never seen him play tight, but I guess that's just us. :)

Dig out old Bobby's blogs from after each test match last year. He is more one eyed than half the people on this forum.

Even I thought he went to far (and was mostly incorrect) when he criticised the refereeing after a few of the games.

You are pinning your views to the same person that believes there is no room for the cut out pass in the game!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am firmly of the belief that Aus can't afford to have Palu & Higgers in the same back row against the ABs. So to me, stick one on the bench and have Pocock and a worker 6 or 8 to balance the "special ones".

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Remembering that this is a training squad, I suspect they have included Neville as a lock to in fact provide him with a learning curve as obviously they see real potential in him.
Remember a large part of Dean's mantra is to unearth future Wallabies. He certainly wouldn't be too impressed with so many of the half thought-out remarks that come through here

You can unearth future Wallabies but how about they get to know the bloody game first.
How many of these 'new' superstars haven't played a year of Prems , or a game at Prem level. If they did then maybe they would understand some of the penalaties or the ball turned over quite so easily.
Yeah I believe in giving credit where it is due BUT at the same time some of these lads need to learn to play tough, nut it out rugby, and you aren't always going to get that at training. You will get it against the AB's and SA's, English and Irish when they run over the bloody top of you.
Half thought out MY ASRSE!
Deans should not be the Australian coach. Passion is lacking in the Wallaby side with some and that includes the coach.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Yeah yeah we get it 27, your another Deans hater.... I guess you have a couple more years of hating to go. Good luck with that, don't give yourself an ulcer.

W

What2040

How many blokes without ARU "top-ups" are going to get selected in the Scottish and Welsh tests. Is that a consideration of selections??? I don't friggin' know and just thought I'd chuck it into the forum for some more knowledgeable posters to comment on.

Status
Not open for further replies.