• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 40 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So having a look at my initial breakdown...

My breakdown of the 40, based on what has been reported (the 4 Force players being considered, plus no Elsom or Gill)

Certainties (19)
Ben Robinson
Sekope Kepu
Ben Alexander
James Slipper
Steve Moore
TPN
Nathan Sharpe (apparently not retired as some have thought)
James Horwill injured
Rob Simmons
Scott Higginbotham
David Pocock
Wycliff Palu
Will Genia
Quade Cooper (you would think)
Kurtley Beale
Digby Ioane
Berrick Barnes
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Pat McCabe

Likely (15)
Salesi Ma'afu
Dan Palmer
Saia Fainga'a
James Hanson
Hugh Pyle
Dave Dennis
Michael Hooper
Ben Mowan
Ben McCalman
Nick Phipps
Nic White
Rob Horne
Ant Fainga'a
Mike Harris
Ben Lucas

And then 6 of...
Greg Holmes
Dean Mumm
Kane Douglas
Scott Fardy
Sam Carter
Luke Jones
Cadyrn Neville
Fotu Aulea
Tah Man
Jake Schatz
Brendan McKibben
Luke Morahan
Tom Kingston
Mark Gerrard
Bernard Foley
Dom Shipperley
Jessica Mogg
Cooper Vuna
Joe Tomane

Have I missed anyone?

Yes- Sitaleki Timani

So I would class Hanson, Mowen and Lucas as unlucky, and probably Mark Gerrard and Sam Carter as well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I doubt he would've been selected, but Gerrard picked up an injury (fractured sternum?) yesterday and is in doubt for the Brumbies match next week...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Not fucking Ma'afu, god dammit he is useless. Can't complain with the rest, the locks were a hard one as Slim alluded to. Jones and Fardy would of been close for the spots Neville and Douglas got.

Ben Lucas is unlucky, might be ruled out due to injury though? Foley is a bolter but a decent selection. Good to see Vuna, Tomane and Shipperely all getting picked, Morahan is lucky because he has only come good of late.

So many uncapped players, bringing through a new crop of players, perfect time to do so right after a World Cup.

The selection of only 3 hookers is a bit strange, Hanson should feel unlucky.

Overall, the selection of Ma'afu and possibly McCalman (over Mowen!? I'm not a big Mowen fan but seriously, he got robbed here), are the selections I'm not happy with.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Neville over Jones is harsh. Not happy about Ma'afu, McCalman and S. Fainga'a. Lucas is unlucky. Decent squad though, we've seen a lot worse.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
For me I think Vuna, Mogg (will be good, but a bit early maybe), Morahan (defence is a question mark) and McCalman rather than Mowen are odd calls. A bit.
Not saying those players are poor, but not sure if they are there yet.
Cummins very unlucky, I think.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Indeed...

I would've had Cummins... or even Andrew Smith...

Someone deserving at least...
Vuna has actually been playing well of late. I would have also had Nick Cummins in the squad, but at the expense of another outside back like Morahan, Shipperely or Mogg. Vuna is a proven finisher, he knows how to score tries, something we lack without Drew Mitchell.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Ma'afu FFS. I knew it would be so but I hoped Deans might have struck his head and got sanity. I can't wait to see the back of that bloke (Deans that is, we will see the back of Ma'afu plenty this year as he waddles from ruck to ruck and collapses face down in scrums)

McCalman - Why? Because Deans likes his workrate. The fact that with all that bizzing around it makes little to no impact doesn't man anything to Deans obviously.

Reds fans should steel themselves to see Higgers once this year (Scotland test) and then he will be on the bench for the rest if he makes the side at all. Denis wont get a run unless it is for Scotland and we will have again an unbalanced "workrate" backrow that will not compete with the top sides at the breakdown and maul.

I do not understand the love for Vuna, he certainly does break the line well and carries superbly but his defence is almost as bad as when he started last year.

Looking at this squad I don't see any real changes being made from last year excepting the Fact that Elsom is gone and so is Vickerman.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Huge rise for Cadeyrn Neville. Picked up on an EPS contract as a former rower. Gets a start due to injuries/suspension, takes it with both hands and now finds himself in the Wallabies training squad.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Bit harsh Gnostic, although I agree with you completely on Ma'afu and McCalman. There's what, ten new caps in the forty man squad? Hopefully some of them will be given a proper run. I don't mind that Vuna has been picked in the squad - he's a linebreaker and knows how to find the tryline. Possibly Deans thinks his defensive deficiencies (of which there are many) can be ironed out in a better team. It's hardly like Scotland are an attacking powerhouse either.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
How did Ma'afu get picked and not Cowan... Cowan has been picked on far worse form (he's quietly having a damn solid season) and Ma'afu has been shocking (though I'd say he plays better in gold).

Also Mowen is so solid and at his age would be perfect for a spot on the test bench, he's cut from exactly the same mould as McCalman but his form is much better.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
How did Ma'afu get picked and not Cowan... Cowan has been picked on far worse form (he's quietly having a damn solid season) and Ma'afu has been shocking (though I'd say he plays better in gold).

Also Mowen is so solid and at his age would be perfect for a spot on the test bench, he's cut from exactly the same mould as McCalman but his form is much better.
Agree with all of this. Cowan and Greg Holmes are both playing way ahead of Ma'afu. I seriously don't understand his selection. If Deans wants a good scrummaging rock who doesnt do much else he's got Palmer, no need for another one.

And currently Mowen, Auelua, Jones, Fardy, Hodgson, Shatz >> McCalman currently.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Agree with all of this. Cowan and Greg Holmes are both playing way ahead of Ma'afu. I seriously don't understand his selection. If Deans wants a good scrummaging rock who doesnt do much else he's got Palmer, no need for another one.

And currently Mowen, Auelua, Jones, Fardy, Hodgson, Shatz >> McCalman currently.

That would suggest that Ma'afu can scrummage...

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
I love the selection of Vuna... If someone can sort out his defence he'll be awesome... I know if there's 2 wingers I'd hate to mark its Diggers and Cooper...

Status
Not open for further replies.