• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies at the Rugby World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BRIX

He he, hopefully brother. Although it's probably in the best interests of the team if he just focuses on the tourney so that the boys can get the fries with that choke

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good to see some accountability.

Lippy Vickerman apologises to Wallabies
Darren Walton

Wallabies lock Dan Vickerman has apologised to teammates and vowed to clam up in Saturday's pivotal Rugby World Cup clash with Ireland in Auckland.

Vickerman cost Australia three points, allowing Italy to go to the sheds locked at 6-all in Sunday's opening Pool C match after back-chatting Irish referee Alain Rolland and having the penalty advanced 10 metres closer to the Wallabies' goal posts.

Coach Robbie Deans has made it clear he won't tolerate any players mouthing off - advice Vickerman has clearly heeded.

"From my point of view, that wasn't good enough," the Test veteran told reporters on Tuesday.

"The penalty was awarded fair and square and you've just got to deal with it and get on with it.

"I let the team down there and it's not good enough ... once a decision's made, you deal with that and move on with the game."

All up, the Wallabies conceded 15 penalties against the Azzurri.

"That's not good enough either and I gave away a few of those away and in (tighter) games where penalties become an issue, it can be a lot of points that come against you," Vickerman said.

"So we need to work on that and focus on maintaining that area of the game so that penalty goals don't become a factor."

Mindful of upsetting match officials, the Wallabies are saying all the right things about the referees and accepting they need to adapt better to the refereeing at the World Cup, particularly the handling of the breakdown area.

Vickerman said it was imperative players stayed on their feet at the contact area.

"That area of the game is being hotly refereed now, going off your feet at the breakdown," he said.

"Our game definitely wasn't being badly refereed. The penalties were there - we've had a look at them - I went off my feet and I wasn't peeling out properly so it wasn't good enough from me.

"Alain's a great referee. He's refereed a lot of top-notch international games so, as I said, it's just not good enough from my point of view.

"Those were the areas that let me down - maintaining the leg drive through the contact and getting on with it.

"There's a lot of tall blokes out there that do it effectively. I've just got to improve on that."

The veteran second-rower said the Wallabies were all for the crackdown, agreeing it creates a better spectacle for fans.

"If you're going to go into a breakdown and (you) clean someone out, you've got to stay on your feet rather than sealing off the ball," he said.

"If you can go in with that mindset and make sure you clean out past the ball on your feet, then it negates bodies on the ground and the game's able to flow.

"So it comes with the players taking that responsibility upon themselves - not to flop.

"If you're on your feet and you've entered through the gate, then the game flows and that's what we want from rugby; we want the breakdown to be clean and have the ball in hand in attack."

In all the enthusiasm for Vickerman's return to rugby at the elite level we have overlooked some of the negative side of his play: a bit of pig headedness and lack of care, which he has always had. It's good to see that he recognised it publicly.

There are others in the team who you just want to choke through the TV screen every now and then despite the good stuff they do. Moore is so bloody perverse sometimes, doing things that are obviously prohibited as though the law has changed overnight. Kepu can be very bloody careless, and I felt like throwing a shoe at Burgess through the screen the other day; he can be a smart-alec and lippy too.

Any of those actions can lose a game but we will talk about a missed tackle.

D

daz

There are others in the team who you just want to choke through the TV screen every now and then despite the good stuff they do. Moore is so bloody perverse sometimes, doing things that are obviously prohibited as though the law has changed overnight. Kepu can be very bloody careless, and I felt like throwing a shoe at Burgess through the screen the other day; he can be a smart-alec and lippy too.

I hear you, Lee. I could give a rat's buttock about some of the stuff the media (and our good selves) go on about, but what causes me to waste good beer (through the tv) and bury the dog (up to Dog #54 in the Deans era) from time to time is the stupidity of repeated ill discipline.

For me it's Saia. Off feet/in from the side/not releasing, at least 2-3 times a game and then looking at the ref in wide eyed innocence. Are you sure sir? Really sir? Oh dear sir. Sorry sir.

ARGH! It's just not good for my heart, I tells ya.

PS: I was obviously kidding about the dogs. It couldn't be more than 11-12. 15 tops.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Lee, when I read that headline I thought 'who the hell is Lippy Vickerman? Has Vicks' wife been distracting him?'

Having gotten past that I agree completely about the careless stuff, Kepu is the most obvious to me, and it's not like he does it like he's trying to get away with some subterfuge either.

As for Saia, well, at least he doesn't play for the Tahs!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interesting article by Brendan Fanning writing for The Guardian

Rugby World Cup 2011: Pat McCabe takes centre stage for Australia

Robbie Deans will become the third coach to rack up 50 Tests in charge of the Wallabies when his side play Ireland in Auckland on Saturday. And it is interesting that in the last six of those games he has made a significant shift in selection. Having started with a twin playmaker policy at 10/12 – first Matt Giteau and Berrick Barnes, and then Giteau and Quade Cooper – now the coach is motoring down a more traditional route with two direct and abrasive centres served by a playmaking fly-half.

And this has been good news for Pat McCabe. Eight years ago his family huddled around what he described as "one of the smallest TVs ever built – it was about the size of a microwave" in his auntie Trisha's caravan in Wagga Wagga, watching Jonny Wilkinson win the World Cup for England. "It was pretty disappointing when he finished us off," he says.

Four years later he was with his mates in a pub in Sydney watching the Wallabies getting dumped by England again. And now he is Australia's solid midfield rock as they face Ireland in Auckland. Deans takes every opportunity to acknowledge what McCabe brings to the table.

"Yeah, it means a lot," McCabe says. "I guess since my first day in the group he's been extremely positive towards me and really helped me the whole way through. I can't thank Robbie enough for what he's done for me. I think for him to be saying nice things gives me that little bit more confidence not to be worried about what might happen if you play badly, just go in and play your best. He's just said to do what you do naturally, do what feels right. He's been quite happy so far."

Evidently, for McCabe is an ever-present now. Having made his debut off the bench at the tail end of the Test against Italy in November last year, he has been at 12 in all six Wallaby Tests this season. From being voted rookie of the year in 2010 by his peers, now he is an automatic pick.

He was only picked up on the radar thanks to critical midfield issues at the Brumbies, which resulted in McCabe being switched there from the back three. Now he is doing for the Wallabies what he has been doing in Super Rugby. Linking him with Anthony Fainga'a gives Deans a no-frills combination which does not look physically intimidating but, pound for pound is as tough as any combination on the circuit.

Compared with Ireland, however, there is a clear gap in experience. Brian O'Driscoll and Gordon D'Arcy have been together in green since 2004; McCabe and Fainga'a only this year, with McCabe playing all six Tests so far. McCabe was 11 when O'Driscoll was making his debut for Ireland in Brisbane in 1999.

"Yeah, I think probably with the South Africans and the All Blacks they're [O'Driscoll and D'Arcy] sort of the best three in the world in my opinion," he says. "It'll be a great challenge. Brian is someone I looked up to and watched play a lot of footy. It'll be a great opportunity and a great challenge.

"I thought Ireland's form had been good and in that [Six Nations] game against England they were extremely impressive. They probably would have been a little bit disappointed with their game against the USA – it was a little bit of a stop-start sort of game and the conditions didn't really bode well for running rugby. I think like a lot of teams if they play well then they're going to beat the best teams in the world. I think they've obviously got the potential to do that and they're going to be a huge hurdle for us."

McCabe will be expected to carry his share of the load when Quade Cooper shifts out of the firing line and the Wallabies are on defence. He has no problem with that. Himself and Fainga'a coped well against the world's best – Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith – in the Tri-Nations win last month, and they will fancy their chances against D'Arcy and O'Driscoll whatever the weather.

"I guess it's not great weather for everyone," he says. "I think a lot of people would like to see a running contest and they have a back line which can definitely provide that. I'd like it not to rain, like everyone, but we're pretty prepared if it does."

And the fact that he would look as comfortable on an Ireland team sheet as an Australian one? "Yeah, both my grandparents are Irish – one born in Belfast and the other in County Clare so I've got a few connections there, but I'm pretty happy to be wearing the gold on the weekend."

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster...

I haven't really bothered to register here before, but something has been bothering me watching the current crop of wallabies play that has prompted me to join and ask other's opinions...

(I think this would be the most logical thread - I hope so)

Has anyone else noticed how overly and openly critical the current players are towards each other on the field when mistakes happen? Other international teams seem to be pretty tight together on field and when things go wrong a pat on the head, or a quick "bad luck mate" are the usual response to a mistake or brainfart. This current wallaby team though seems to be quite harsh and quick to glare at the offender, turn their backs and walk away shaking their head with a look of total disgust as if they have just witnessed a baby seal being clubbed to death by a harvested whale bone or something.

It just doesn't seem like this is a very tight bunch of guys at all.

P

pete88

I know what you mean, you often see guys who we hear are mates giving eachother gobfuls. I guess it depends on the relationships they've got, they seem to get on fairly well so I wouldn't read too much in to it. Take the England cricket team as an example, Stuart Broad, Kevin Pietersen and Graeme Swann are not above giving a misfielding team mate a mouthful, but they (this hurts) are the best in the world. I guess it's a more genuine response, it might be healthier for them.

On a related point, I don't think they played like a team half as much as Ireland did. Beale and Cooper did some good stuff and some stuff that indicated they wanted to do it all by themselves.

Edit: also, welcome, you couldn't have picked a better time... :p

A

Army_Gav

Sick & Tired

This is a rant about a gutless performance, but not that of our team.

I'm referring to its SUPPORTERS. You, me and everyone else at Eden Park last night, North Harbour Stadium last week & previous tests.

We SUCK as supporters. We buy our jerseys, whack on a gold scarf, sit in our seats with our gold hats and think job well done. Mean while eg. last night the Irish & Irewi walk all over us and allow the crowd to get the other hand. Sure we were outnumbered, but at least we could try.

There are some supporters out there though, willing to have a go, we sung a few songs at the Kingslander, unfortunately we weren't seated near each other.

We as supporters are just as liable for the performance in the stands as our team is on the field.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Keep up the good fight, mate. A big change like this will take a few years to evolve. I reckon if we can get the crowd singing Waltzing Matilda during/after the haka, It'll snowball from there.

Mind you, be prepared for Nick Farr-Jones to call you a boofhead.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i have a suggestion for next year when the wallabies play a game >
in advance someone organise a greenandgold crew to get their tickets together with anyone else people know in the same spot> if we can get a crowd sitting together in the same section then they can start singing and then it will snowball around the ground> maybe get the aru to advertise tickets for passionate fans> where they will be expected to make themselves loud> ohh and a good cheer leader wont hurt

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Send Digby home. Bring Beau Robinson, Phil Waugh, Matt Hodgson or ANY OPENSIDE FLANKER as his replacement. We have Schmoo. Barnes needs to play at 12, he can straighten the attack and kick it to the shithouse whenever Quade and Kurtley want to do chip-kicks in their own 22 and turn it to a clusterfuck. He can also hit droppies from 40 out when our scrum is going backwards or our forwards are getting killed.

Finally, not only can he defend in the 10 channel, but he is the only player worldwide that can put Ma'a Nonu on his arse.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Send Digby home. Bring Beau Robinson, Phil Waugh, Matt Hodgson or ANY OPENSIDE FLANKER as his replacement. We have Schmoo. Barnes needs to play at 12, he can straighten the attack and kick it to the shithouse whenever Quade and Kurtley want to do chip-kicks in their own 22 and turn it to a clusterfuck. He can also hit droppies from 40 out when our scrum is going backwards or our forwards are getting killed.

Finally, not only can he defend in the 10 channel, but he is the only player worldwide that can put Ma'a Nonu on his arse.

I hear he's Chuck Norris' understudy.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i really thought the phil waugh bandwagon had died with his effectiveness on the field- about 2-4 years ago
edit: and thats s15 level... too small too one dimensional for test rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.