• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies EOYT 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I’m not sure we’ll see Quade on the plane. I don’t think Chekia rates him at all and would prefer to invest in someone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Following on from above I'm hoping the super rugby teams buy into the goal of helping the wallabies and try to play players in the positions most helpful to the national team, although I don't see Hodge on the wing for the rebels while sefa and Koro are there. Hunt will be difficult, wallabies haven't figured out where they want him yet let alone the reds. kerevi is assumingly kurindranis understudy so hopefully he gets a season at outside centre to hone his defence there.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hunt will continue at 15 for the Reds.

Seems obvious. Though if his real WB chance is at 12, maybe some thought should be given to DP. Hell, let's just have Cheika give Thorn a call and tell him how it's going to be.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Following on from above I'm hoping the super rugby teams buy into the goal of helping the wallabies and try to play players in the positions most helpful to the national team, although I don't see Hodge on the wing for the rebels while sefa and Koro are there. Hunt will be difficult, wallabies haven't figured out where they want him yet let alone the reds. kerevi is assumingly kurindranis understudy so hopefully he gets a season at outside centre to hone his defence there.
Zero chance of this happening until Super Rugby coaches are centrally appointed and aren't accountable for results of their team

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Duncan is in career best from at 12. Could anyone justify moving him?

By all reports Sully, this is exactly what Cheika is considering. I would suggest that Hunt has been in career best form at 15. And Rodda at 4/5. Doesnt seem to stop him thinking about 12 and 6.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Duncan is in career best from at 12. Could anyone justify moving him?
As a 12 only option he is probably about 5th in line. As a 12 who can also play 10 his value rises substantially to the Wallabies.

He clearly shouldn't be looked at as a straight 10 option but getting in amongst the squad as a 12 who can also play 10 is surely good for his career.

His play in every aspect has improved out of sight since he had a run at 10 in the 2016 preseason.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nah. He's a 12 who can play 10.

I tend to think that is what Cheika is interested in.

If he was only a 12 or a 12 who could play 13, he wouldn't be in the squad.

Given our squad for this weekend though, it does seem very likely be playing 10 against the Barbarians unless Cheika picks Hunt there.

I'd expect a backline of:

9. Phipps
10. Paia'aua/Hunt
11. Perese
12. Hunt/Meakes
13. Kerevi
14. Speight
15. Folau

21. Powell
22. Meakes/Hunt/Paia'aua
23. Rona

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with Jets that Cheika will leave QC (Quade Cooper) behind.

For several years now we have only seen glimpses of his brilliance, either at Super level or Test rugby.

I think his time is well and truly past and we need to look to the future (after Foley) for a potential world class 10.

Whoever needs to be identified as such and trained accordingly with a long term view.

T

TOCC

OK, it is just on the ARU website he has always been described as a flyhalf

Doesn’t mean anything..

He has played a handful of games there, RG trialled him st 5/8 in 2015 and he struggled, likewise Matt O’Connor in 2016, again he struggled. The rest of the time he has been a 12.

If you actually watch him play, his strength is his running game and support play, not his passing, his distribution is good for a 12 but average for a fly-half. Kicking game is pretty average too.

He works well as a secondary playmaker since he can float behind the line but not a primary distributor.

I fear, if Cheika throws him in the deep end as flyhalf, and he plays badly since he isn’t accustomed to the position, then the blame will all fall on Duncan.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Why does everyone see Hunt as a 10, I believe his one and only game at 10 since he returned to rugby he got slaughtered by the Brumbies.. Although I believed it was one of his first games.

Heres a left field call.. Leolifanio too join from England as a 10.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Why does everyone see Hunt as a 10, I believe his one and only game at 10 since he returned to rugby he got slaughtered by the Brumbies.. Although I believed it was one of his first games.

Heres a left field call.. Leolifanio too join from England as a 10.

Geez that left field call would be amazing but I reckon it is just too far, left

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Geez that left field call would be amazing but I reckon it is just too far, left
Depends how his playing, if Foley went down you'd be silly not too draft him in. You'd have to expect Cheks and Larkham to at least talk to him over there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
His fitness rather than ability would be the obvious issue. Stepping back up to test rugby would probably be beyond him at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.