• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies EOYT 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Godwin is another option to play 10 this weekend.

God I can't wait until the day we can stop mentioning Godwin in any discussion even peripherally related to the Wallabies.

He has been the most immensely unremarkable player for quite some time now.

I suspect DP, Hodge and Hunt will act as the 10/12 playmakers this weekend - nobody's just sure where each player will find themselves.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
His fitness rather than ability would be the obvious issue. Stepping back up to test rugby would probably be beyond him at the moment.
His training and playing full time in, the premiership.. I suspect his pretty fit.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
God I can't wait until the day we can stop mentioning Godwin in any discussion even peripherally related to the Wallabies.

He has been the most immensely unremarkable player for quite some time now.

I suspect DP, Hodge and Hunt will act as the 10/12 playmakers this weekend - nobody's just sure where each player will find themselves.
Irrespective of your opinions on Godwin, hodge won't be playing anywhere this weekend, he's not in the squad. Godwin however is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
FP
It would be great to see ANYONE putting pressure on Foley at 10.

ATM, Foley with a broken leg is still a better option than others

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
FP
It would be great to see ANYONE putting pressure on Foley at 10.

ATM, Foley with a broken leg is still a better option than others

Who even are the options? We have none who play 10 consistently. Is Jono Lance available? Or is Cooper it?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
This idea that Foley even with a broken leg/out of form is clearly ahead of Cooper is laughable.

We've seen what Cooper can do off the bench this year and he's looked far more creative in those snippets than any other option we have, including Foley. It's madness he's out the outer, but that's up to Cheika, and having seen the improvement in the Wallabies this year I can't really argue with him too much.

I still think Cooper has plenty to offer and with the right coach, he'd be fantastic, but that's the rub. If Cooper has only ever looked like the CONSISTENT player we're hoping will one day appear while he's being coached by Link, then it aint good enough.

It's a desperate shame, as he's hands down the most freakish playmaker i've seen in my lifetime and were I in charge he'd be the 2nd name on the sheet after Coleman, but unless you're willing to build a backline around him/make him one of your first picked and ride the waves of his form, he's shit outta luck and it makes me so sad. I WOULD take Link's approach if I were the coach, but c'est la vie.

It's like watching O'Connor squander his career all over again, but to a much nicer bloke.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Moving forward, i'd like to see Lilo brought into the camp and maybe off the bench in one of the games, but I doubt he'd be cleared from Ulster.

They're managing his workload quite well, and he's been top notch over there when he has been used, but we'll see in Super rugby. It might finally be his time to break into test rugby consistently and bring his best form along as well.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's a desperate shame, as he's hands down the most freakish playmaker i've seen in my lifetime and were I in charge he'd be the 2nd name on the sheet after Coleman, but unless you're willing to build a backline around him/make him one of your first picked and ride the waves of his form, he's shit outta luck and it makes me so sad. I WOULD take Link's approach if I were the coach, but c'est la vie.

He did play for the Wallabies 70 times. Not a bad haul by any measure, so it's not shameful that his international career is over (for him or the Wallabies). He's certainly no O'connor.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I still see Lilo as a 12. He's as much a backup for Foley as Beale.

And here's the problem that we had with To'omua and Leali'ifano in the past. Two very good players but there was never enough consistency in where they were played separately or together to know really what their best position was. I mean To'omua arguably played his best Test rugby at 12 outside Cooper, but has played 10 there too, and seemed to be about 50:50 give or take in his time at the Brumbies between 10 and 12. Similar for Leali'ifano. Looking at their skillsets, I'd have intuitively thought To'omua was a 12, and Leali'ifano a 10. Not trying to teach Cheika, or Larkham, or McKenzie how to suck eggs, but I don't think we saw the best from either yet. Hopefully we still will.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
And To'omua is doing very well in the UK at 12 outside George Ford at 10 with Leicester Tigers. He was an outstanding schoolboy 10 but I do think 12 is his roll now.

In terms of Cooper I do think he has a huge amount to offer. He has one of the best kicking games in the country. The Reds kicked more than most teams in 2011 and most people remember them for running. I just think Cheika wants something else. Duncan could fit into this roll as he can pass both ways and can run at the line when required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Who even are the options? We have none who play 10 consistently. Is Jono Lance available? Or is Cooper it?
From what I saw of the Barabarians vs Classic Wallabies Sam Greene seems to be one that got away. Obviously, the match was nowhere near test standard but he scored a double and looked classy throughout. Real shame he never got to develop his talents in Super further.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
From what I saw of the Barabarians vs Classic Wallabies Sam Greene seems to be one that got away. Obviously, the match was nowhere near test standard but he scored a double and looked classy throughout. Real shame he never got to develop his talents in Super further.
He’d be a perfect 10 for the Wallabies. Missed all but one conversion :)

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Lealiifano is a 10. Simple. Stop fucken moving him.

He was a 10 as a junior, and when he broke into Super rugby. To'omua was deemed less flexible than Lilo so got the 10 jersey and Lilo became the dreaded utility, with an extra bad dosage of shit luck.

Its now time to put him at 10, and leave him there. Not at 12 next to Hawera (who isn't up to scratch as a 10 yet and needs a couple of seasons ironing out his flaws), but at 10.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think Quade's Wallaby career is far from over but it will take the right super rugby coach to make it happen. Quade plays with everything revolving around him and I don't see the Wallabies playing that style. We've seen how Foley and Beale both had average nights on the weekend and the team didn't miss a beat. I think quade has to develop his game to fit into that model.
I'm hoping he"buys in" to the Brad Thorn model and has a real go in defence and improves his tackling.
His knee is finally back to full strength and I'm hopeful that a decent off season will see a more complete player next year. I'm actually hoping he doesn't tour.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Quade plays with everything revolving around him and I don't see the Wallabies playing that style. We've seen how Foley and Beale both had average nights on the weekend and the team didn't miss a beat. I think quade has to develop his game to fit into that model.

100% this. I think this is ultimately what led to Deans not selecting Cooper for the Lions tour and is certainly relevant now. 10 is clearly a critical position but coaches invariably want players that can work in with a plan and have a specific role to fill and that the success and failure of the team doesn't come down to one or two players.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lealiifano is a 10. Simple. Stop fucken moving him.

He was a 10 as a junior, and when he broke into Super rugby. To'omua was deemed less flexible than Lilo so got the 10 jersey and Lilo became the dreaded utility, with an extra bad dosage of shit luck.

Its now time to put him at 10, and leave him there. Not at 12 next to Hawera (who isn't up to scratch as a 10 yet and needs a couple of seasons ironing out his flaws), but at 10.

Lealiifano plays a lot like Foley, they both facilitate those around they, Lealiifano plays square, flat and gets the ball where it needs to be

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Things i want to see on the EOYT:

Meakes at 12, preferably starting.

Sio to get a rest so we can see if Robertson can cut it for more than 15 minutes.

Hunt at 15 for a match. Wouldn't mind seeing Beale at 15 at some point.

Someone, literally anyone, playing some time at 10 who isn't Foley. Whether that be Beale, Lilo, Quade, Lance... whoever. We are one serious injury away from shitcreek.

The Wallabies beat the fucking English.

Status
Not open for further replies.