• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies (Including Overseas Players)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
did deans mishandle george smith and the whole pocock transtion to the point of making him give up and go overseas? It's been reported numerous time he showed little respect or allegiance to the established players upon arrival.

Should have had george in our WC squad. No questions. Not so much this year though with hooper stepping up. Biggest factor in losing to the irish as having no 7 - which allowed their 7 to play a man of the match game.

But looking at the OS players - I wouldn't have any in my 22 (barring injuries) so that says alot about the power of super rugby and the attraction of the gold jersey.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Losing smith overseas was one of deans and ARU's bigger mistakes I reckon. Having him in the squad would have helped us immensely.

I also think deans should have dropped giteau during the tri-nations in 2010 and told him to go and play some games at 9 so that he could have come into the WC squad as third halfback cover as well as an option at 12. Phipps was a waste.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
did deans mishandle george smith and the whole pocock transtion to the point of making him give up and go overseas? It's been reported numerous time he showed little respect or allegiance to the established players upon arrival.

I'm not so sure.........

Smith was Deans' captain for a lot of tests.

However, I wouldn't discount that being true when Pocock started showing some test form.

Regardless, George Smith was highly missed the past couple of years.

And not just the games where Pocock was missing. He could've started anywhere in the backrow if needed.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I not a Deans fan, but surely he can't really be blamed for everything that goes wrong in Oz rugby, though I understand what you saying about his handling of players Rant. On the George Smith leaving, in NZ Henry got blamed for ABs losing Nick Evans (who would pick him ahead of Carter?) , so not having him as back up in last years WC, I think, the same with Smith, if a better player(in coaches eyes) is selected you have 2 choices, try and win place back or go after money elsewhere, not really coaches fault. I just think Smith probably decided he didn't want to 'ride the pine', and decided to get good money while it on offer, and good on him.
I also thought Wallabies missed Smith a bit, and I not even sure if I thought I would of picked Pocock ahead of him.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah George Smith was a humble man, it's not surprise he decided to prioritise other things over international rugby. Not to mention at the time he had just battled past some injuries (involving some weird nerve related ones).

Robbie didn't chase him out, though I think an exception should of been made and they should of put a call in for him to be in our WC squad.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I not a Deans fan, but surely he can't really be blamed for everything that goes wrong in Oz rugby, though I understand what you saying about his handling of players Rant. On the George Smith leaving, in NZ Henry got blamed for ABs losing Nick Evans (who would pick him ahead of Carter?) , so not having him as back up in last years WC, I think, the same with Smith, if a better player(in coaches eyes) is selected you have 2 choices, try and win place back or go after money elsewhere, not really coaches fault. I just think Smith probably decided he didn't want to 'ride the pine', and decided to get good money while it on offer, and good on him.
I also thought Wallabies missed Smith a bit, and I not even sure if I thought I would of picked Pocock ahead of him.

It is more the ARU's fault than simply deans fault.

But still, I reckon if the wallabies in 2010/2011 were something special then smith would have stuck around for another year. You don't turn down the chance to be part of a winning world cup squad lightly.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I also think Deans should have dropped Giteau during the Tri-Nations in 2010 and told him to go and play some games at 9 so that he could have come into the RWC squad as third halfback cover as well as an option at 12. Phipps was a waste.

Forgive me for sounding like a broken record but for mine the same advice stands for JOC (James O'Connor). Why, oh why, didn't some junior rugby coach suggest a stint at 9 for Rabbit? Body shape, size, darting ability, he's got it all to play scrummie. Or at the very least backup scrummie.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Forgive me for sounding like a broken record but for mine the same advice stands for JOC (James O'Connor). Why, oh why, didn't some junior rugby coach suggest a stint at 9 for Rabbit? Body shape, size, darting ability, he's got it all to play scrummie. Or at the very least backup scrummie.
Because he was more value to the teams he played for at 10. Any coach that moved him to 9 would have been laughed at as his footwork was his greatest strength and its effect would have been reduced at the back of rucks.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Guys that are good at breaking tackles and finding gaps in space are not necessarily the same guys that are good at finding gaps in traffic and vice versa.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The only Aussies who could have the level to be Wallabies and are playing in France are Giteau and Burgess.

Brock James is now number 2 fly half behind David Skrela.

Agree on Burgess and Giteau as the only guys I'd want in the Wallabies squad but there are a few players I wouldn't mind back for Super Rugby.

James isn't no 2 at Clermont. He and the other old fellow Skrela are sharing the role. They have both started in 5 games in Top14 this year but James started in both Heineken Cup games to date with Skrela on the bench.

Clermont needs to get a top young flyhalf as they don't want to be using Parra there as France has done - but there are few good young ones in the country and hardly any good old ones either.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The Smith, Pocock transition would have been well planned and the transition went very smoothly.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I know this is not the most famous club in the Top 14 but Grenoble is playing very well for a team that just gained promotion from second division.
And the in form prop since the beginning of the season is Dayna Edwards! It should be interesting for an aussie franchise to hire him back down under.

T

tranquility

I know this is not the most famous club in the Top 14 but Grenoble is playing very well for a team that just gained promotion from second division.
And the in form prop since the beginning of the season is Dayna Edwards! It should be interesting for an aussie franchise to hire him back down under.

Great post, i forgot about him.

He was a really strong scrummager and was a player we picked up at the Reds before Lawrie Weeks (perhaps from uni as well?). I cant remember much work around the park from him, but I also remember him falling away badly after an injury. Is always good to bring a mature tight 5 player home.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
James isn't no 2 at Clermont. He and the other old fellow Skrela are sharing the role. They have both started in 5 games in Top14 this year but James started in both Heineken Cup games to date with Skrela on the bench.

I saw Clermont with Brock James against Toulon and Matt Giteau before the Aus Fra match last weekend. Brock had an excellent game and outclassed Wilkinson I thought. Gits had a great game for Toulon, although he did miss a crucial tackle that led to a Clermont try.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Except for the small hiccup at the RWC where we had no backup open-side :/

Goofy selections were at fault for that . Had nothing to do with the Pocock Smith transition at all.

I remember a certain Beau Robinson having a fantastic 2011 and all that was left to do was select him. Shit, Phil Waugh was kicking around and all that was left to do was select him also.

Who is to say Smith wanted to continue playing international rugby? After an amaizing career in the Wallaby jersey I can see him as the type of bloke to end it and prioritise his young family.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
DHP and Grey hold the honour of being some of the very few products to come through Australia's smaller rugby states.

There success is a testament to Aussie rugby growing into non-traditional markets and it's a shame they don't ply there trade here.

Brock James being another one.

There are a reasonable number coming through from WA too.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Brock James being another one.

There are a reasonable number coming through from WA too.
I know that the Tah's haven't been great in recent years but I'm not sure NSW has been relegated to one of Australia's smaller rugby states just yet. ;)

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I know that the Tah's haven't been great in recent years but I'm not sure NSW has been relegated to one of Australia's smaller rugby states just yet. ;)

Brock James is from Adelaide. He moved to Sydney to get a start as there was no high level rugby in Adelaide.
He is certainly not from NSW.

Status
Not open for further replies.