• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tomane hasn't done anything at test level to prove his test worth, Cummins has

Tomane was a solid 6 on the G&GR scale, Cummins was a good 7/8 though, agreed. I prefer Tomane on defence however, watch only him for a game and see how quickly and effectively he repositions when the game changes.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
WHY WOULD THE ALL BLACKS BE CHANGING THEIR TEAM WHEN THEY KEEP WINNING? THATS THE FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE

But when the ABs were losing more regularly between 98-02 to OZ it still wasn't panic stations that the coaches were bringing in debutantes to play the Wallabies to "try things out"

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Beale and O'Connor make for popular scapegoats too which we will probably need after Deans' departure.

I'm actually quite interested whether the general analysis on this forum and elsewhere will become more considered than just blaming the coach now that we've gone from the least popular coach ever to a very popular coach.

I find it slightly concerning already that several people have blamed Richard Graham for the Reds' loss against the Crusaders rather than Link.

There seems to be a long running commonality of attributing blame to unpopular players and coaches whilst popular characters are given a free ride.

The funny thing is that you could argue Deans is the one that put both those players into the position of being scapegoats. Picking them out of position, or when going through issues. Picking them despite behavioural issues and promoting them ahead of form players. His selections have adversely affected these two players in the long run.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
How has everyone settled on Cummins? He's a slightly above average winger with below average hands at Soup level. Played a couple of decent Tests on last years EOYT but that's about it.

Ok I'll bite, who would you choose instead? Don't just bag a player and say they aren't up to test standard and offer no alternative.

I'd say JOC (James O'Connor) is battling for the spot. But we do need a basher to run off the inside of Quade and Cummins fills that role quite well.

Digby also had very average hands, possibly worse that the Honey Badgers but we didn't have a problem with him because of his running. We need a power house because Mogg = Wiley kicker with greyhound like acceleration and Folau = Aerial juggernaut and great with a bit of space. They would balance quite wel..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought (based on Cricket) that there would be a panel that selected the Wobs and that Dingo may be one of that panel.

Obviously he would still have been able to white ant any squad selections by a panel by playing squad members out of position or keeping them on the bench, or not even announcing them in the match day 22 (23).

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd like to see Horwill rested as he seems really off the pace, his injury must be worse than he is letting on because he really went missing in ChCH.
Not sure on a few positions but this is a test 23 I'd like to see, not sure if Godwin is injured but I'd like to see him settle on being an out & out 12.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. MMM
6. Mowen
7. Hooper/ Gill
8. McCalman
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins
12. Godwin (injured?)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Crawford
15. Folau

Res: Hanson (Injured?), Kepu, Palmer (injured?), Douglas, Gill/Hooper, Nic White, Lilo & JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Really with the quality of wingers we have in Speight Tomane Izzy Cummins, O Connor, and fullbacks Beale, Mogg, Izzy. Good Super players but i just dont see them taking spots of more established players, or guys who have just started in the squads..

I didn't know Speight was eligble.

Mogg is good I just think his tackling makes Quade look like Pocock in defence.

I'd have Cummins in my team.

Izzy @ Fullback.

I'd like to see JOC (James O'Connor) & Beale dropped for a while.

Please don't mention Tomane at test level again.

Back 3 I'd like to see would be 15. Folau 14. Crawford 11. Cummins.

English is one to watch for the future.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Is it actually confirmed that Horwill is injured? Perhaps he went missing in Christchurch because he was outplayed by better players?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'd like to see Horwill rested as he seems really off the pace, his injury must be worse than he is letting on because he really went missing in ChCH.
Not sure on a few positions but this is a test 23 I'd like to see, not sure if Godwin is injured but I'd like to see him settle on being an out & out 12.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. MMM
6. Mowen
7. Hooper/ Gill
8. McCalman
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins
12. Godwin (injured?)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Crawford
15. Folau

Res: Hanson (Injured?), Kepu, Palmer (injured?), Douglas, Gill/Hooper, Nic White, Lilo & JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale.
What's ChCh?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What's ChCh?

ChristChurch?
disco What is Horwill's injury? Its about 4 weeks away so I reckon There's plenty of chance to freshen up subject to whatever it is that ails him.
Much as I would love to see Crawford picked, for any number of reasons, I think the EOYT would be a better blooding for him, and hence the team, in the long term. (In line with the talk I heard last night that Agar should be dropped because he's not experienced enough: its counter intuitive, in a way).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Palmer was right in there a few months ago - is he still injured ??
If Horwill's calf injury is minor he should be OK for Auig 17

Status
Not open for further replies.