• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
what did he do well except kick goals?
which players did he beat?
which team members did he put into space?

Not in the form of 2012 I admit, but Lions first test ....................seriously didnt do anything wrong and form over years has shown he is one of the best backs in S15. Whats goodwin done to take the spot?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not in the form of 2012 I admit, but Lions first test ........seriously didnt do anything wrong and form over years has shown he is one of the best backs in S15. Whats goodwin done to take the spot?

looked the form 12 from Aus in a losing side

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I didn't know Speight was eligble.

Mogg is good I just think his tackling makes Quade look like Pocock in defence.

I'd have Cummins in my team.

Izzy @ Fullback.

I'd like to see JOC (James O'Connor) & Beale dropped for a while.

Please don't mention Tomane at test level again.

Back 3 I'd like to see would be 15. Folau 14. Crawford 11. Cummins.

English is one to watch for the future.

end of year tour for speight.

something

Jim Clark (26)
The issue with Honey Badger, Folau & Speight is that they are all 14's. not 11's. I dont know if there is that much difference but im sure there would be something with what foot you step off and what not.

Also, when Speight becomes eligible - would he compliment Folau? They are both so good it'll be very exciting seeing that

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Ok I'll bite, who would you choose instead? Don't just bag a player and say they aren't up to test standard and offer no alternative.

I'd say JOC (James O'Connor) is battling for the spot. But we do need a basher to run off the inside of Quade and Cummins fills that role quite well.

Digby also had very average hands, possibly worse that the Honey Badgers but we didn't have a problem with him because of his running. We need a power house because Mogg = Wiley kicker with greyhound like acceleration and Folau = Aerial juggernaut and great with a bit of space. They would balance quite wel..
I like Cummins, I do. I just don't think he's so good as to be the unanimous pick that he apparently is. Personally I'd have Mogg over him at the moment, with Crawford and Betham about on the same level. Would have him ahead of Tomane and Morahan though.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Lilo has gone cold a bit I reckon, can't remember the last time he had a real standout game.

Pressure is on him a bit now to prove he deserves his spot. Yeah he was good earlier in the year but that form can only take you so far.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lealiifano's goal kicking is probably his biggest asset at the moment that sets him apart in terms of Wallaby selection.

Whether Link will decide Cooper's goalkicking to be up to scratch at test level is still unknown.

With JOC (James O'Connor) probably on the outer, Link's hand might be forced if he picks To'omua or decides that Cooper isn't good enough as his first choice kicker.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
the squad will be announced tomorrow morning, so you have less than 24 hours to get your wild guesses in before we all start our wild accusations of Reds/waratahs bias, and commence the undermining of the new coach

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wild guesses you say?
Props: Robinson, Slipper, Kepu, Alexander, Sio, Ryan
Hookers: Moore, Fainga'a, Hanson
Locks: Horwill, Simmons, Douglas, Fardy, Pyle, Carter
Backrowers: Mowen, Kimlin, Gill, Hooper, Palu, McMeniman, McCalman
Halves: Genia, Phipps, White, Cooper, To'omua, Foley
Wingers: Folau, Cummins, Tomane, O'Connor, Crawford
Centres: Ashley-Cooper, Lealiifano, Horne, Tapuai, Godwin
Fullbacks: Beale, Mogg

Official Captain: Horwill
Official Vice-Captains: Moore, Genia, Mowen

Lineup for All Blacks on the 17th
Robinson, Moore, Slipper, Simmons, Douglas, McMeniman, Gill, Mowen (c), Phipps, Cooper, Cummins, Lealiifano, Ashley-Cooper, Folau, Beale.
Fainga'a, Kepu, Alexander, Kimlin, Hooper, White, To'omua, Mogg.

Genia and Horwill rested (as has been the murmuring). Phipps ahead of White due to international experience, Gill ahead of Hooper for breakdown security and attack. Sio and Godwin no blooded against the Kiwis.

McMeniman in 6 to make an impact around the park and allow for a full lineout. Can cover at lock and allows for two backrowers (Kimlin and Hooper) on the bench. Lealiifano over Horne due to goal kicking.

EDIT: Made it 40 after seeing wamberal 's comment.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
well its less than 24 hours before its 'Officially' named and no leak online by one of the pet jurnos. Well done ARU.........

D

daz

I think it is offensive that you blokes keep throwing names up for the Wallabies squad, in some pathetic attempt to influence the selections and ridiculous provincial self-interest. Pretty sure Link knows what he is doing and I trust him to pick a squad that will get the job done.

Just stop it, ok?

Hugh Pyle. Hugh Pyle. Hugh Pyle. Mitch Inman. Mitch Inman. Mitch Inman.

:p

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
You know he has got better at tackling but worse at taking it to the line.. the knee seems to have affected him..

But I really like the intent, not the technique, not worried about that at all before i use to feel he didnt put his heart in tackling.. now he does.. doesnt matter technique or result. But 2011/12 Quade would never have tried to put ranger on his arse.. Now he tried and did.. Thats all we want.. same with running take it in a tackle..

To'omua does this all really well he will smash a prop (anyone) in a tackle with no after thought.. he will run at the line etc no second thought.. His not as skillful as Qaude, but his more willing.. But Qaudes changing that..

I think its a but hard to judge. He has been in a Reds backline that has seemed totally bereft of ideas at times, and most importantly has lacked the work off the ball that characterised the Reds in years past that made their backline play so slick. So what I am saying is that in 2011 and 2012 Cooper takes the ball to the line and he has two or three players moving in support, in close and wide making defenders have to try and cover multiple threats. Now when those threats are like Digby and need to be marked by two players especially guarding for his left foot step it opens up opportunities for QC (Quade Cooper) to use his surprising pace of the mark and foot work. In the last few games I just haven't seen a single player moving in support to allow Cooper that sort of option and hence he is easily contained by the multiple markers opponents are putting around him. It that light it is quite surprising he still managed as many offloads and line breaks/assists that he did.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think it is offensive that you blokes keep throwing names up for the Wallabies squad, in some pathetic attempt to influence the selections and ridiculous provincial self-interest. Pretty sure Link knows what he is doing and I trust him to pick a squad that will get the job done.

Just stop it, ok?

Hugh Pyle. Hugh Pyle. Hugh Pyle. Mitch Inman. Mitch Inman. Mitch Inman. Luke Jones x 1000000000

:p
Fixed that for you.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if he will name 40 people straight off the bat?

It would seem like a distraction for the Brumbies if their players are named for the Wallabies squad prior to their semi final. It would also seem to be a bit of a distraction if x out of 40 players are named which would lead to guessing which Brumbies players are going to be announced.

Anyway, here's my guess at the 40.

Props: Robinson, Slipper, Alexander, Kepu, Sio, Ryan
Hookers: Moore, TPN, Fainga'a
Locks: Horwill, Douglas, Simmons, Pyle, Fardy, Timani
Backrow: Hooper, Gill, Mowen, Palu, Kimlin, Dennis, Quirk, McMeniman
Halfback: Genia, White, Phipps
Five eighth: Cooper, To'omua, Foley
Centres: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Lealiifano, Tapuai, Horne, Godwin
Wings/Fullback: Folau, O'Connor, Tomane, Cummins, Mogg, Beale.

A 40 man squad is pretty big. It would seem likely that there will be far fewer controversies in a squad this size because the last 4 or 5 spots are going to be bolters to some degree anyway.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
I've looked into my crystal ball and discovered tomorrow's squad. I am the rugby nostradamus.

P: Robbo, Alexander, Slipper, Kepu, Sio, Ryan - 6
H: Moore, Fainga'a, Hanson - 3
L: Horwill, Simmons, Douglas, Pyle, Carter - 5
BR: Mowen, Palu, Hooper, Gill, MMM, Kimlin, Dennis - 7
1/2: Genia, White, Phipps, Cooper, To'omua, Foley - 6
IB: Lilo, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Inman, Kuridrani, Godwin - 6
OB: Folau, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Mogg, Cummins, Tomane, Crawford- 7

A few smokeys and long overdue selections are due I reckon. What's the status on Digby's and TPN's injuries? That may change up things too.

Status
Not open for further replies.