• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

I agree. Neon flashing letters for sarcasm, in lieu of Sarcasmofont, should be used.
Come on, daz.

[Sarcasmofont NEON BRIGHT] What a supportive fellow you are in my time of need [/Sarcasmofont NEON BRIGHT]

Hating you so bad right now

Hang on. I better make sure you don't take that the wrong way.

:);):p:D

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
AS much as I like QC (Quade Cooper) Im beginning to think To'omua has the edge v ABs and Link may go this way for the first test. See how he shapes up after weekend's clash but I think his defence / kicking is superior to QC (Quade Cooper) even though no doubt QC (Quade Cooper) attack / pass is superior. I think QC (Quade Cooper) off the bench if required with 20mins to go...

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Lets not forget Horne. Like him or not at 13 he will be a strong chance.

Not forgotten, he's in my squad but on his excellent form this year I see him as more of a 12 now he's learnt to pass/offload a bit. In fact I think he would be pretty good outside a player like Cooper where as To'omua needs someone like Lilo outside him.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have always thought Horne was a better 12 than 13 but with the need to carry a high % kicker I think that Lilo has the front running to be 12 and that I think puts Horne into the mix as 13 backup to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I don't see Inman or Kuridrani getting a lock in unless there are massive injury issues.

In all honesty I don't want to see Folau move to 13 as he is the safest player under the high ball in Australia bar none. Only Mogg comes close.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I have always thought Horne was a better 12 than 13 but with the need to carry a high % kicker I think that Lilo has the front running to be 12 and that I think puts Horne into the mix as 13 backup to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I don't see Inman or Kuridrani getting a lock in unless there are massive injury issues.

In all honesty I don't want to see Folau move to 13 as he is the safest player under the high ball in Australia bar none. Only Mogg comes close.
13 is a whole new bag of tricks for Folau to learn, especially the defensive responsibilities. I have no doubt he could, in time, but his utility is so much greater at 14 or 15 with some space, and as you say, to maximise his ability with the high ball.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think if you pick Cooper @ 10 then a really solid defender may be useful @ 12 because every team will be sending units down his channel

Pick Toouma and they will look elsewhere and the 12 can be less defensively skilled

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
I think if you pick Cooper @ 10 then a really solid defender may be useful @ 12 because every team will be sending units down his channel

Pick Toouma and they will look elsewhere and the 12 can be less defensively skilled

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Exactly, I expect Fainga'a to be 12. Makes for an interesting dilemma for a kicker.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
what did he do well except kick goals?
which players did he beat?
which team members did he put into space?

He only got the ball about 4 times each match. Hard to mark him on that - and he also had about 3 different blokes playing 10 - each time he looked up there was someone different there.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Exactly, I expect Fainga'a to be 12. Makes for an interesting dilemma for a kicker.

Much as I like the Fainga'a twins, I would be doubtful that Ant will be in the run on side. Maybe in the 40. Lilo at 12 with Horne as the backup would be my guess. The Wallabies aren't going to be some Reds lite team.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
AS much as I like QC (Quade Cooper) Im beginning to think To'omua has the edge v ABs and Link may go this way for the first test. See how he shapes up after weekend's clash but I think his defence / kicking is superior to QC (Quade Cooper) even though no doubt QC (Quade Cooper) attack / pass is superior. I think QC (Quade Cooper) off the bench if required with 20mins to go.

To'omua is growing on me.... But like biggsy Quade is still my hero!!!!

Back to your post, I would be extremely surprised if link goes with anyone but Quade. Unless this is some elaborate plan to psych out the ABs (I wouldn't put it past Ewen), he has been consistently showing admiration for Quade and is noted as saying he would be his flyhalf for Wallabies.

I think it's generally been agreed upon in gaggerland that with 38 tests under his belt and playing solidly, albeit not at the top of his game this season, Cooper should get the nod for the Rugby Championship. His cross field kicking, passing and general attacking ability is the best way to unlock the outside backs.

HOWEVER, it has also been agreed that if he fucks up again, with the amazing backs we have at our disposal AND his favourite coach, then its time for QC (Quade Cooper) to move on and To'omua should take the reigns.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
13 is a whole new bag of tricks for Folau to learn, especially the defensive responsibilities. I have no doubt he could, in time, but his utility is so much greater at 14 or 15 with some space, and as you say, to maximise his ability with the high ball.

This is assuming Folau will be around. We has been training with Manly Sea Eagles all week.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I like Cummins, I do. I just don't think he's so good as to be the unanimous pick that he apparently is. Personally I'd have Mogg over him at the moment, with Crawford and Betham about on the same level. Would have him ahead of Tomane and Morahan though.

Wow. Really?! Have either Crawford or Betham actually played any Tests?? I knowCummins only has a couple but he's played pretty well when given the opportunities and I'd have that over un-tested players everyday.

Betham has played what? 1 season of Super rugby and been OK - some good games and some pretty average ones - and he's on the same level?? Wow......

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
No one is thinking of Luke Jones in the squad. I'd prefer Luke to either McCalman or Dennis. Palu, Mowen and Kimlin should be sufficient cover at 8, while imo Jones is a better 6 than Dennis. I am also thinking that Scott Fardy will make the squad as lock/6 cover. His form lately has been top notch.

I would not have either Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) in my squad atm. Better for them to prove their worth in next year's Super comp before their resurrection. Having said that, I do expect JOC (James O'Connor) to make the squad but I think Beale might miss out.

Would really like to see Godwin in the squad, if fit. Skelton would also be a smokey.

I am also a bit perplexed that the squad will be announced before the Brumbies finish their tilt at the crown. Could conceivably have an affect, perhaps detrimental, on performance at the weekend.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Question:

How would Link have handled both the Wallabies and Reds role if, hypothetically, the Reds had made it all the way to the Super Rugby Final?
He would flown from NZ to SA then back to NZ possibly before having one/two weeks to announce a squad, train them and select a 23. Any insiders here know what the deal wouldve been?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Multiple places seem to be speculating that Will Skelton will be in the squad.

I certainly get the argument. Whilst I don't think he is close to being in a Wallaby 23, his improvement in such a short space of time is amazing and given his size, he could be anything.

In a 40 man squad, you should probably be able to squeeze in someone like him as a nod to the future.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Think Schatz will be a smokey into the squad. Performed badly last week but has been good all year.

Matt To'omua will surely be in.

Interesting choices for props.
Robbo, Slipper, Kepu, Ryan (if OK), Sio - wonder about Alexander (should be there) - maybe Cowan (has been consistent all year)

Status
Not open for further replies.