• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
30 man squad named - Benn Robinson dropped. Foley and Toumua included. Anae retained.

Apparently, Mckenzie will not publically name who the 10 is until the absolute last minute

Front Row
Albert Anae, Ben Alexander, Saia Fainga'a, Sekope Kepu, Stephen Moore, Scott Sio, James Slipper

Second Row
James Horwill (capt), Kane Douglas, Rob Simmons

Back row
Liam Gill, Michael Hooper, Scott Fardy, Ben McCalman, Hugh McMeniman, Ben Mowen, Jake Schatz

Halves
Quade Cooper, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, Matt To'omua, Nic White

Centres
Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Lealiifano

Back three
Nick Cummins, Israel Folau, Jesse Mogg, James O'Connor, Joe Tomane

Sparky

Frank Nicholson (4)
No Robison? Geez that's huge. I wonder what the go is there. Other than that, looks good for what is available atm. One fly half to many tho and one centre too less tho

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Fatcat being dropped is a huge surprise, not through injury either. Attitude problem at training? Surely Sio will start?

Anae is a bit weird but not a huge surprise, running out of hookers at a rapid rate and he covers a lot of positions. Schatz is pretty lucky to survive also and it's probably not a bad thing to keep three fly halfs in case of injury.

Not surprised, but am disappointed Douglas and Simmons were kept at the expense of Pyle, they've both been nothing above ordinary in wallabies jumpers, I really thought it was time for something new in the second row.

Otherwise it's a good squad I reckon, not too much to complain about at least.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With Robinson cut, Sio would surely have to be the starting loosehead..........

Otherwise........ o_O

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
The front rowers must have been training with the new scrum laws... perhaps this is the reason Benn was dropped out of the squad?

By removing the hit the scrum surely would favour a scrummager like Sio?

Tin foil hat theory

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That has to be it Rex.

But still a very shitty selection. Benny Robbo was our only prop who stood up against the Lions, and to turf him out is just wrong.

I'm pretty sure all of our props stood up against the Lions........ literally........ :(

Seriously though, surprise omission when you have Anae there......... who is supposedly there to cover hooker, but has he played any Super Rugby there?

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Seriously though, surprise omission when you have Anae there... who is supposedly there to cover hooker, but has he played any Super Rugby there?

Probably best answered by a reds fan. I can't say I've seen him play at hooker with S Fainga'a and Hanson in the Reds squad.

Although McKenzie would have a rather intimate knowledge of Anae's skills, weaknesses and strengths.

T

TOCC

Link doesn't mind to rock the boat a bit in his selections either, keeps the playing group competitive and ensures they don't drop off in intensity..

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not surprised, but am disappointed Douglas and Simmons were kept at the expense of Pyle, they've both been nothing above ordinary in wallabies jumpers, I really thought it was time for something new in the second row.

Pyle should be there for his attacking ability, the fact the Wallabies continue to select locks who don't know where the try line is just amazes me. Would have Pyle and Horwill in the 2nd row.

Pyle has scored more trys than all 3 locks every season he has played Super Rugby. Has greater ability in the Line out and works a hell of a lot harder than Simmons and Douglas.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Pyle has scored more trys than all 3 locks every season he has played Super Rugby. Has greater ability in the Line out and works a hell of a lot harder than Simmons and Douglas.

There is a lot more to being a good lock than scoring tries.

Although Pyle can probably consider himself unlucky i think Douglas and Simmons are probably the next best locks in the country.

I am a bit mystified by Robinson's omission, he did better than Alexander in the scrums against the lions. Hopefully that means Sio will be starting because he is the real deal.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Pyle should be there for his attacking ability, the fact the Wallabies continue to select locks who don't know where the try line is just amazes me. Would have Pyle and Horwill in the 2nd row.

Maybe Fardy will end up partnering Horwill

Status
Not open for further replies.