• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Some of you are pathetic. Wait until he's coached his first match before complaining about any selections. They're his selections, he's responsible for them and you all backed that he knew what he was doing at the start. Could turn out to be a genius.

Ah, so we aren't allowed to debate selections until we've seen his first game. OK, fair enough.

But I suggest we wait until we've seen his first series as coach before we debate anything.

Actually, let's give him a year. After all it will take time for the players to adapt to his style.

No, scrap that, I think we should wait until after the 2015 RWC. That is what we are aiming at, after all.

Then, and ONLY then, we can discuss and debate his selection decisions.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I reckon there's something in the coach's water bottle at wallabies trainings.
We had all settled into a comfortable zone where we expected the selections to be fathomable for the first time in 6 years and here you go...

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Ah, so we aren't allowed to debate selections until we've seen his first game. OK, fair enough.

Not sure if sarcastic but yes. You haven't seen Ewen implement his coaching on them. You don't know what he's thinking with the players in regard to his game plan. Just wait.

D

daz

Zero current Rebels players in the Wallabies squad.

Geez Link, have a look at your birth certificate again, will ya? Couldn't you give us just a tiny bit of state bias as well?

:p

D

daz

Not sure if sarcastic but yes. You haven't seen Ewen implement his coaching on them. You don't know what he's thinking with the players in regard to his game plan. Just wait.

I'm no expert on the linguistic arts, but I am going to say there may have been just a sliver of sarcasm in baa-baa's post.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Robinson was also dropped by Cheika at the start of the 2013 season a well..

Think about that people, i think it says more about the player then the coach..
True, but unless he was drinking and smoking at training it is presumably based on his form during games, in which case he should have been left out of the squad all together.
As a motivational technique you would ordinarily expect this ploy to wear thin very quickly.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Some of you are pathetic. Wait until he's coached his first match before complaining about any selections. They're his selections, he's responsible for them and you all backed that he knew what he was doing at the start. Could turn out to be a genius.

And then you will say,no one complained about the selections before they got whipped.
I am uneasy over all of this.
it's not like he was appointed to the job after any real process.He has been appointed on the back of the reds performance in 2011,and his media management in 2013.
He has been critical of his predecessors tactics,but it appears to me that he intends to play just as negatively.
I can't see we are on the cusp of any golden period ATM.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I am a bit mystified by Robinson's omission, he did better than Alexander in the scrums against the lions. Hopefully that means Sio will be starting because he is the real deal.

That I think is the likely reason. The scrums against the Lions probably don't mean squat. None of the front rowers will have any 'form' under these new laws that we can judge them on. Prior experience probably counts for nothing really.

Maybe Fardy will end up partnering Horwill

I really really want to see Fardy starting!

T

TOCC

True, but unless he was drinking and smoking at training it is presumably based on his form during games, in which case he should have been left out of the squad all together.
As a motivational technique you would ordinarily expect this ploy to wear thin very quickly.

Or... It could have been his input at training, Link has very little to go on apart from what he has seen from the players in the games throughout the year and finally what he has witnessed on the training paddock the last 2 weeks.

Robinson'a 2013 form obviously warranted selection in the Wallabies, however similar to his demotion to the bench for the Tahs at the start of the year, the rest is based on the training paddock..

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
That I think is the likely reason. The scrums against the Lions probably don't mean squat. None of the front rowers will have any 'form' under these new laws that we can judge them on. Prior experience probably counts for nothing really.

Which I could understand if Benny Robbo had been in shitty Super form. But he was the clear 2nd pick behind Sio at loosehead.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Or. It could have been his input at training, Link has very little to go on apart from what he has seen from the players in the games throughout the year and finally what he has witnessed on the training paddock the last 2 weeks.

Robinson'a 2013 form obviously warranted selection in the Wallabies, however similar to his demotion to the bench for the Tahs at the start of the year, the rest is based on the training paddock..

There is a big difference between being benched in the 1st game of a long Super season and left out of a 30 man squad right after said Super season has finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.