• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just before the first Lions test I was talking with some Welshmen. One item that greatly interested me was their assertion that the Australian front rowers looked unfit and overweight. They singled out Fatcat for special attention. They were not ranting or being provincial or talking up their own boys. This was a quiet, serious Rugby discussion with some blokes who obviously lived for the game and were very knowledgeable. It was prompted by my query on how they thought our scrum would stand up.

I have to say I agreed with them on that point and if you look back on my posts from a couple of years ago you will see me questioning why many of our front rowers (not all) looked to be carrying weight around their middle, and when shirtless they showed little abdominal definition, which is in direct contrast to other top level props around the world, even grandfather Castrogiovani was more trim. Now other props, even Maafu have dropped much weight, but this year I thought Fatcat was as big or even bigger than ever. Perhaps it is purely a fitness issue. I doubt that anybody could say it was a skill issue or even really a form issue, though I would suggest he has been up and down. Link has said outright that Fatcat knows what he has to do to get back into the squad and he is still in the frame. SO given there is no Super Rugby, the club season is almost done and he isn't in the test squad, I do think it is purely a fitness issue.

In any event I think that Sio was in better form than Robinson and more consistently so, especially in the big games at the end of the season. So if Sio makes the match day 23 I would suggest it is starting with possibly Anae and one of Kepu/Alexander/Slipper also starting and another on the bench.

My starting and reserve front row would be:-
1.Sio
2. Moore
3. Slipper/Kepu

16. Fainga'a
17. Anae/Alexander (I would prefer Anae I think at LH)
18. Kepu/Slipper

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Interesting that Welsh people were talking about that, looking at Adam Jones...

Looking at the other loosehead candidates, it is pretty clear Link wants his front row to play high tempo to combat the ABs. It will be a very Reds-like game plan based around mobility and hitting hard and fast at set piece before shifting the point of attack.

If that means FatCat has to lose 5 kg and up his work rate, then so be it.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Surely you can't be serious?
I suggest you watch the Reds v Tahs where Slipper and Robinson scrummed against each other.

As for you claiming Robinson is far superior around the ground and Slipper is useless, well I think that says a lot about your rugby knowledge

I am pretty sure he has never seen Slipper play. To say he is poor around the park is just laughable!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It would have been contentious for Sio to start ahead of Fatcat, let alone for Factcat to not even be in the 23.

But Ewen deserves the chance to mould the team and game plan he wants. Once we discern the game plan it may make sense. In 18 months if the game plan isn't working or discernible then will be the time to hit the panic button.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
It would have been contentious for Sio to start ahead of Fatcat, let alone for Factcat to not even be in the 23.

But Ewen deserves the chance to mould the team and game plan he wants. Once we discern the game plan it may make sense. In 18 months if the game plan isn't working or discernible then will be the time to hit the panic button.

No panic button, Charger, I just don't agree with one particular selection.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The Cat has had a rocket fired up his arse. The next chapter is how he responds. He has had a mortgage on the position for a long time and I think Link is sending the message. He seems like a nice bloke but I don't know stuff all about his work ethic in the team environment. Link does.

The new scrum engage is something Link will be wise about. He played in that time that allowed him to understand the issue best. I would say his knowledge base is high on this.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The problem I have with that Ruggo, is how is he supposed to respond? By playing well in Sydney club rugby?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
No, by playing the house down in club rugby in Sydney.

Maybe not ideal (although i base that on the comments of others, not being able to make that assessment myself), but unfortunately, that is the only option. It is no different for any of the other options left out and would have been no different if one of other props were left out.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The problem I have with that Ruggo, is how is he supposed to respond? By playing well in Sydney club rugby?

The problem may be off field issues. I have no idea how he has to respond. Just have to believe the coach has told him how he has to respond though. Despite rugby game time opportunities running out, how he responds maybe how he works to keep himself in shape for a possible recall.

I don't think his form has been that bad personally. Link has a mandate for cultural reform and maybe the Cat hasn't been pulling his weight.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
It certainly wouldn't surprise me if he had an attitude problem. People pointed to the Brumbies for many years saying that the players had too much power, and I would hazard a guess that there was similar issues at the Waratahs until Cheika took over. I can't see McKenzie putting up with crap attitudes from players, not when you have kids like Sio waiting for their opportunity to have a crack at a starting position; someone that will follow what an experienced coach has to teach them. Just my thoughts.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With four props remaining in the 30 man squad and seven tests to play in the next couple of months, it would be highly unlikely that Robinson isn't going to be involved at some point.

I certainly can't see Anae being used as a prop if one out of Slipper, Sio, Alexander and Kepu is either unavailable through injury or form during the Rugby Championship.

Whilst Robbo would surely be gutted that he was left out of the squad, I can't imagine it will be for long.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think his form has been that bad personally. Link has a mandate for cultural reform and maybe the Cat hasn't been pulling his weight.

I don't buy this. He has a mandate for cultural reform, so drops Robbo and keeps JOC (James O'Connor)??

There are a few logical reasons why Robbo was dropped, and I don't think attitude and personality is one of them. Frankly all this hypothesising about his supposed 'issues' gets me a bit.

I am not saying that isn't the reason why he went, but I am saying that IMO it is highly unlikely. And we would have no way of knowing if it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.