• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Tri Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Double trouble ... Australia's Luke Burgess celebrates after scoring one of his two tries against Ireland in Brisbane on Saturday night. Photo: Getty Images

....wait, what?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Gits deserves to be dropped, far more than Mitchell. The problem with Mitchell is there are so many good wingers. Ioane, Hynes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are an obvious back three, but Mitchell would be in there if he could recapture his good form of a month ago.

T

TheTruth

has anyone got a 30 man team list to be selected on 8 July

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm jumping on the band wagon started by someone else in another thread (can I be more vague?). Pocock for skipper.

Him and Genia are the only ones that look capable of leading from the front, and being automatic selections in this team.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I don't think it helps to promote a skipper too soon. Him or Genia will be skipper one day, but give them time to mature into it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd be resting Rocky from the EOYT, having played is it 3 seasons in a row? We need him fresh and fit. Perfect chance for the Sanchez Pocock double act.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
confirming that Chambers is out for the 'season' too now, with a shoulder reconstruction I believe.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't think it helps to promote a skipper too soon. Him or Genia will be skipper one day, but give them time to mature into it.

Genia didn't do too bad a job quickly 'maturing into it' at the Reds, on a surprise basis after Horwill. In fact, I'd argue that he did a much better job than H (would have). A new young captain for the Wallabies would also act as cleansing agent for the poor team culture we clearly have....provided the right coach is there of course who understands how to build a winning Test team psychology/culture.

One of the reasons that the Australian cricket team is sputtering at the moment (0-3 ODI matches down to the Poms as of last night, almost unheard of) is that Ponting has been left as Captain too long.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Gits deserves to be dropped, far more than Mitchell. The problem with Mitchell is there are so many good wingers. Ioane, Hynes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are an obvious back three, but Mitchell would be in there if he could recapture his good form of a month ago.

Perhaps the rugby hard-heads will see this comment as 'soft', but IMO something is badly wrong with the mental heart of this Wallabies management and team interaction when someone can play like Mitchell did in the S14 (very recent) and then just collapse off a cliff once in Wallaby-land. Other players are noticeably not repeating their S14 form either...and I don't buy the 'oh, it's just so much harder in Tests' line we often hear. Many of the S14 games we saw this year were as tough in their ways as many of this June's Tests.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Perhaps the rugby hard-heads will see this comment as 'soft', but IMO something is badly wrong with the mental heart of this Wallabies management and team interaction when someone can play like Mitchell did in the S14 (very recent) and then just collapse off a cliff once in Wallaby-land. Other players are noticeably not repeating their S14 form either...and I don't buy the 'oh, it's just so much harder in Tests' line we often hear. Many of the S14 games we saw this year were as tough in their ways as many of this June's Tests.

Mitchell's best games, probably the games vs the Cheifs and the Hurricanes, came after working with the same backline consistantly for 11-12 weeks plus the preseason - the Wobs backline has been working together for about 4-5? Of course its going to take time to gel, especially with so many "heroes" comings off great Super 14 seasons. I think there are some big heads in the backline that need to work together.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Mitchell's best games, probably the games vs the Cheifs and the Hurricanes, came after working with the same backline consistantly for 11-12 weeks plus the preseason - the Wobs backline has been working together for about 4-5? Of course its going to take time to gel, especially with so many "heroes" comings off great Super 14 seasons. I think there are some big heads in the backline that need to work together.

Thanks DPK. Good observations. The job you're inferring that needs doing in the Wallabies back line now is one that a highly experienced back line coach should be responsible for (along with the players in concert, of course). I have made this point elsewhere: I'm not even sure the Wallabies have a dedicated, full-time back line coach aiding Deans' expertise in this area. I know you are not quite saying this, but the idea that the Wallaby back line players can just work all this out themselves in a sort of unmanaged democratic huddle between games and via the actual games is IMO reckless at best.

A big part of the job of coaches is to ensure that egos become good egos that aid the game, not bad ones that destroy it. You can't do this crucial job just player-to-player.

T

TOCC

i think a rejig of the wallaby forward pack(apart from front row) is necessary..

4. Simmons
5. Sharpe
6. Mumm/Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Elsom

We need more weight and bulk, if we cant individually have a big number 8 in the likes of Palu, then we can at least aim to ensure the rest of the forward pack is quite large and physical.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
100% agree. Brown has tried hard, his work rate is fine. More than that even. But his effectiveness is minimal. We need to up the ante a bit. I'd like to see Higgers back pretty damn soon playing club footy, but its time to give these lads a run.

D

daz

I really think Growden reads this forum. People were talking about this exact thing.

Actually, I have had the same thought matty. There has been at least 2 occasions over the last week where a thread discussion here has turned up in a journo's column.

Of course, it could also be the fact that what we are discussing is decidedly obvious, and the journo's are just a step behind the G&GR brains trust.

T

TheTruth

i think a rejig of the wallaby forward pack(apart from front row) is necessary..

4. Simmons
5. Sharpe
6. Mumm/Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Elsom

We need more weight and bulk, if we cant individually have a big number 8 in the likes of Palu, then we can at least aim to ensure the rest of the forward pack is quite large and physical.

Does Simmo have the necessary mongrel

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I still think Van would be the man. He has all the required attributes if only the selectors would look beyond his age.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I still think Van would be the man. He has all the required attributes if only the selectors would look beyond his age.

It's a secondary point here, but Van is also a tremendous morale booster, fighter, hate-the-opposition and 'get up 'em guys' man on the field - I doubt that can be said of Mumm, for example.

Plus, surely there is not a stupider notion that age should somehow prohibit Test selection as a key variable. No decent coach in Test rugby seems to believe this. Thorn in the ABs being the perfect example.

Status
Not open for further replies.