• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Tri Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still think Van would be the man. He has all the required attributes if only the selectors would look beyond his age.

What attributes are they? the guy is a solid lock with a good workrate but he won't match the physicality of the opps over the next few games

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It's a secondary point here, but Van is also a tremendous morale booster, fighter, hate-the-opposition and 'get up 'em guys' man on the field - I doubt that can be said of Mumm, for example.

Plus, surely there is not a stupider notion that age should somehow prohibit Test selection as a key variable. No decent coach in Test rugby seems to believe this. Thorn in the ABs being the perfect example.

Agree you only have to look at most of the England pack. Most are not far off collecting the age pension.

T

TOCC

Well, Mumm has had a opportunity and hasnt really taken it, its time to consider our options.

Lock is a hard position to find talent, Humphries would be reasonable i reckon, he really stood up this year and when given the opportunity he could rise to the challenge again, however someone like Simmons who also grasped the opportunity when given to him could be a strong candidate.

Are Kane Douglas and Peter Kimlin both out injured or just not playing well?

T

tranquility

Kimlin would be handy. So too would a fit Hugh McMenimen or even Al Kanaar for that matter. Sigh.

T

TOCC

i dont see much of a alternative to Mumm at the moment, Higginbotham and Mowen need to work there way back from injury

C

chief

4. Simmons/Douglas
5. Sharpey
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Hodgson
9.Genia
10. Cooper (give me a not guilty verdict)
11. Hynes
12. Faainga/Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Ioane
15. O'Connor

I think Gits will be benched for the opening Tri-Nations game that's in full honestly not hope as well. Not naming front row, as I haven't a fucking clue whose available.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What attributes are they? the guy is a solid lock with a good workrate but he won't match the physicality of the opps over the next few games

You just said it. He is more than physically up to it. I am not seeing much physicallity in the current pack.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I wouldn't mind a genuine prick in the team, Adam Byrnes wouldn't shy away from the tough stuff of the cheap shots

T

TOCC

I wouldn't mind a genuine prick in the team, Adam Byrnes wouldn't shy away from the tough stuff of the cheap shots

Ive considered Byrnes a option as well, he is also one of the biggest locks in Australia..

However, you just have to wonder about those yellow cards and penalties he attracts, is he really test match material? If he could channel his agression into cleaning out at the rucks rather then other stupid niggle, then i would be more then happy for him to wear the green and gold.

C

chief

Can someone tell me the chances of Anthony Faainga being selected in the 3Nations squad? Realistically? I'm not one with inside knowledge

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Ive considered Byrnes a option as well, he is also one of the biggest locks in Australia..

However, you just have to wonder about those yellow cards and penalties he attracts, is he really test match material? If he could channel his agression into cleaning out at the rucks rather then other stupid niggle, then i would be more then happy for him to wear the green and gold.
Cleaning out rucks with a sly nipple cripple or wedgie, sure. He needs to work on not getting caught, and who better to learn that from than Bakkies or Jack

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
apparently Deans was watching him play club footy on the weekend!

Frankly, I wish Deans would stop watching trial games, and thinking more, and holding BaaBaas games and all such, and just bloody well go on 2010 S14 track record in the hardest and best of the games there. Many of his 'developmental' selections, alone or in combination, have clearly failed and now is surely the time to admit mistakes and work in some new or 'old' talent into the side.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Deans consistently devalues the quality of rugby played in the Super 14 by selecting players who a) have never played it before, or b) have only played a handful of games off the bench.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I take you point Reddy but not your reasoning. The fact Hynes has been seldomly used does devalue Super 14 form. The fact that Gitau was selected does devalue super 14 form. He took Alexander without super 14 experience and look how that wound up. That argument just doesn't stand up in all due respect Reddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.