• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Tri Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Maybe this should be in the Twitter thread but it is concerning wingers... Was having a look at Tuqiri's page and he had this to say about the non-selection of Mitchell.

"Quite gobsmacked at the non selection of Drew Mitchell from the Wallabies Tri Nations squad!! What the??"
And then,
"I reckon these 2 blokes might know a thing or two about wingers @BryanHabana , @CoryJane1080 & they both agree with my thoughts on Drew M."

Habana said "Me too???" RT @LoteTuqiri: (Don't know what RT means)
And Jane, "I 2nd that" RT @LoteTuqiri

C

chief

It's a joke that Cummins is there over Turner. Cummins struggles to make the cut at Super Rugby but International Rugby, and we are talking Tri Nations international rugby. That to me is concerning to say the least. When Australia lose this Tri-Nations again. I'll be sure to enlighten all of Deans' supporters on what a royally fucked job he has done through his tenure.

zeedok

Allen Oxlade (6)
To quote my missus:

"Is Deans a fucking idiot?"

PS I really want to believe in you RD, but Cummins?? Really??? That's the last straw I'm afraid.

T

TOCC

Obsession with a big back-line? He is the only big back in the squad.

Cummins is electric when he hasn't been injured all season, I'm sure the gamble will pay off. However, I agree McCabe should be getting a crack though. He is the bread and butter fullback we desperately need.

Should I have said the current obsession with the lack of size in the backline?

Either way it's a no brainer that Deans is looking for more bulk in his backs

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Cummins played well in the midweek Gosford trial, made strong metres up the middle and didn't put a foot wrong. Kind of reminds me of a Lote type winger...

A knee injury to Reds wing Peter Hynes has cleared the way for a possible Wallabies return for axed Waratah Drew Mitchell.

Hynes has been ruled out indefinitely with the problem, handing a selection poser to coach Robbie Deans prior to their opening Tri-Nations Tests against South Africa in Brisbane on July 24.

The 44-times-capped Mitchell missed the cut for Deans' 28-man squad after indifferent performances against England and Ireland but could force his way into contention after being invited to train with the Wallabies this week, along with Western Force back-three options Cameron Shepherd and Nick Cummins.

With Digby Ioane also sidelined, with a shoulder injury, the Wallabies' cupboard is bare in terms of wingers. Mitchell showed good form at the weekend, scoring four tries in Randwick's 53-10 Shute Shield win against Penrith, and could soon be pulling on a gold jersey.
http://www.scrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/119397.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Maybe this should be in the Twitter thread but it is concerning wingers... Was having a look at Tuqiri's page and he had this to say about the non-selection of Mitchell.

"Quite gobsmacked at the non selection of Drew Mitchell from the Wallabies Tri Nations squad!! What the??"
And then,
"I reckon these 2 blokes might know a thing or two about wingers @BryanHabana , @CoryJane1080 & they both agree with my thoughts on Drew M."

Habana said "Me too???" RT @LoteTuqiri: (Don't know what RT means)
And Jane, "I 2nd that" RT @LoteTuqiri

RT=Real Truth? Random Thought?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm actually starting to feel somewhat optimistic about the start of the Tri-Nations. Having watched the player interviews on rugby.com.au, everyone seems upbeat and eager to get out there.

It is up to Deans now to select the best team, the team with players in form, and players coming back who should expect to make a big impact. Bring Mitchell back into the team - 5 trys in 2 weeks. Bring Robinson, Moore, Genia straight back in. Move Elsom to 8 and bring in Higginbotham - let's get this team looking mean and serious. Leave Giteau at 12 for one last crack, to prove his critics wrong, to offer 81 tests of experience and to rip South Africa a new one. Make the right calls Robbie.

It is also, in the end, up to the players to get up for the match, execute the game plan and start believing in themselves. To believe AND show us all that they are on the brink of something special. Seriously boys, get excited - because I am.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Should I have said the current obsession with the lack of size in the backline?

Either way it's a no brainer that Deans is looking for more bulk in his backs

yeah you have a point. cummins is a good straightener and wouldn't play badly with a two 5/8 combo inside of him if he was playing at 13. BUT Fainga'a is a wicked straightener and (if he does indeed get the wallaby 12) you just don't need two of those in a backline.

cummins could be good but he needs to be left alone now to do some work on getting back his preinjury form, a wallaby call-up right now isn't what he needs. blood him on the spring tour i say!

EDIT: i'm aware cummins mostly plays wing in the s14 but it has been written a few times that his natural position is 13. with cross gone we could well see more of him there (yes yes, inman is good also but mitchel does some crazy shit).

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'm actually starting to feel somewhat optimistic about the start of the Tri-Nations. Having watched the player interviews on rugby.com.au, everyone seems upbeat and eager to get out there.

It is up to Deans now to select the best team, the team with players in form, and players coming back who should expect to make a big impact. Bring Mitchell back into the team - 5 trys in 2 weeks. Bring Robinson, Moore, Genia straight back in. Move Elsom to 8 and bring in Higginbotham - let's get this team looking mean and serious. Leave Giteau at 12 for one last crack, to prove his critics wrong, to offer 81 tests of experience and to rip South Africa a new one. Make the right calls Robbie.

It is also, in the end, up to the players to get up for the match, execute the game plan and start believing in themselves. To believe AND show us all that they are on the brink of something special. Seriously boys, get excited - because I am.

+1. The warm up tests are over. Let's give the boys a chance to show us what they mean.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
To quote the philosophers Gasnier and Humphries, the Wallabies need to "fire up, sad ****s" and then "roll these ****s".

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)

It's called Spin. Don't believe the hype. At the end of the Super 14 I had tipped a possible upset or 2 over the All Blacks for the wobs but after watching the weekends game I think not. I could really do with some of your optimism Reddy as I am seriously lacking some at the moment. Where do I subscribe?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd really love to see Ben McCalman get the wallaby 6 jersey for the start of the 3Ns (with Elsom to 8 ).
His tough, no nonsense rugby is what Australia needs AND he is a great line-out option which is a major weakness of ours. A lineout of McCalman, Sharpe and Mumm would be pretty serviceable and would free Elsom up to look for work right off the lineout. Since Ben has played a bit of 8 you could put him at 6 on our feed and 8 on theirs. This would make sure Elsom won't be forced to play too much out of position.

Scott Higginbotham is a great option but it's one thing rushing back an experienced wallaby to test duty and another rushing a man who, whilst a great player and prospect, is pretty inconsistent.

You get me?

T

tranquility

I agree with most of that. I would like to see both on them in the game day 22 for the opening Tri-nations.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Is QC (Quade Cooper) still that bad?

He seems to have improved out of sight to me, he is far from great one on one but he seems to be getting better at tying up a player and the ball until his team mates are there to help.

His stats would still be poor, but are they improving? this is all you can ask from any player, if they are picked and then improve then your team should only get better for them being in it

Sad to say but, yes, he is still that bad. But in his defence (!!!), he is more of a speedbump than a turnstile.

When I wrote 'they need to improve' I meant 'become good' rather than 'be slightly less bad'.

It is good when players improve, but big improvements are required for big problems.
Check the stats, I'm sure they are still unimpressive.

If the forwards can secure 60% plus possession, I'm sure defence will generally be less of an issue.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Where is NTA???? He would have gone thermonuclear by now with multiple posts discussing wingers and hairstyles (although I grant you that Cummins' lack-of-hairstyle deserves a thread of its own).
'Tis in the pigs that it shall be determined...

Bumped into him a couple of weeks back on a NSWRU SmartRugby Coaches/Referees Foundation Course. He still has plenty of passion!!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
OK so we are back in 2009 again are we. I could ask questions of players from 2009 as well. But that was then we are now in July 2010!
A super season has finished and the June tests are over!

cos 2010 is a better year?
honestly HG, no blue glasses, the gits barnes combo was working and everyone was excited about the wallabies chances 12 months ago, now 12 months on were making excuses for players due to "development", Cooper is an X factor player, ive said he had a great year in super rugby, ive said he has matured but i also added i think in my opinion, not yours or anyone elses, that his talent is to take on tired teams, i dont want him getting smashed by bokke and all black forwards for 20 minutes or so and then not being able to do what he does best, i see it this way as relying ont he team to build a lead and then seasoned players to finish it off is very conservative and something the wallabies havnt been able to do in 7 or so years now. Lets change things up and use the bench and guys like coops and beale, there good at it. i would prefer to see them come on with twenty to go and have a crack than play percentage football. At least we would be having a red hot go instead of this crap were watching currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.