• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
sharp has topped matfield, bakies and thorn for impact on games this year
how anyone can not rate sharp is dumbfounding and stinks of someone holding a grudge and ignoring his form for the last couple of years
horwill is a solid lock and will take one side but anyone else is a schoolboy compared to sharp in every aspect of lock play
remembering vickerman has had 20min of elite rugby in the last few years > give him some more time before we 'lock' him in to the wallabies... and at any rate> id have him take horwills spot anyway if he were to start

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
for 6> id suggest brown would be viable option
hes too small to have the impact required at 8 for tests. but his workrate leaves higgenbum for dead around the park
hes played well at 6 for the forcde when required> and has been around the set up for a few years now~

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
So with TPN gone who is going to be wearing 16 for the 3N?
I guess the front runners are Fa'ainga and Charles.
I think Charles is the better option as he is bigger that Fa'ainga and better in the tight.
Fa'ainga however has international experience and can play well in the loose (Charles does too).

Either way, both should be in the squad.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I think Charles is the better option as he is bigger that Fa'ainga and better in the tight.
Fa'ainga however has international experience and can play well in the loose (Charles does too).

Fa'ainga is an amazing player and I would feel sorry for him if he didn't make it, however I wouldn't pick him atm. His scrummaging isn't up to par yet. His amazing workrate won't win us games against England, but his scrummaging frailities might lose them.

With another year or two in the gym he will turn in a viable option for the wallabies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

That's the perception but the listed stats are;

Nathan Charles 183cm, 104kg
Saia Fainga'a 187cm, 106kg

Last year Deans told Fainga'a to put on 5kg for the World Cup. A few weeks ago his game weight was announced at 108kg so it'd seem he's on the right path. Just needs to start playing a little more heavy now.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Wow, 108kg?
He was 95 kg last year I thought.

If he is up to 108 kg, then my line about him being too small is outdated.
Im still not sold on his scrummaging abilities though.

Both should be in the squad and both should be given opportunities to play off the bench for Moore.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That's the perception but the listed stats are;

Nathan Charles 183cm, 104kg
Saia Fainga'a 187cm, 106kg

Last year Deans told Fainga'a to put on 5kg for the World Cup. A few weeks ago his game weight was announced at 108kg so it'd seem he's on the right path. Just needs to start playing a little more heavy now.

There is no way that Fa'ingaa is 187cm tall, but he might be close to that weight - unfortunately it isn't all muscle.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Where is Kepu at in terms of returning from injury. With Robinson, Kepu & Slipper fit (although I think both Kepu & Slipper still need to improve their scrummaging, particularly Slipper) we may have a front row that can hold their own. With Slipper and Kepu injured I have concerns it will be more of the same of what we have seen for the last couple of years.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Where is Kepu at in terms of returning from injury. With Robinson, Kepu & Slipper fit (although I think both Kepu & Slipper still need to improve their scrummaging, particularly Slipper) we may have a front row that can hold their own. With Slipper and Kepu injured I have concerns it will be more of the same of what we have seen for the last couple of years.

Kepu's scrummaging has been second only to Franks' this year.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
sharp has topped matfield, bakies and thorn for impact on games this year
how anyone can not rate sharp is dumbfounding and stinks of someone holding a grudge and ignoring his form for the last couple of years
horwill is a solid lock and will take one side but anyone else is a schoolboy compared to sharp in every aspect of lock play
remembering vickerman has had 20min of elite rugby in the last few years > give him some more time before we 'lock' him in to the wallabies... and at any rate> id have him take horwills spot anyway if he were to start

Totally agree. I have him only behind Genia and Pocock as the Wallabies most important player.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Kepu is a good scrummager? What are you talking about, he is one of the best in the country hahah. I like to think Slipper is a decent scrummager when paired with other strong scrumming front rowers ( as Daley and Fainga'a struggle for QLD).
Aside from Ben Alexander as 4th prop we don't have much depth. Daley,Longbottom,Holmes and even Baxter would come into consideration if both Kepu and Slipper were out for an extended period.

But they think Slipper might be alright for the grand final ( if QLD qualify), so his injury isn't as bad as first thought

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Kepu's scrummaging has been second only to Franks' this year.
I need to preface this by saying I have only seen about half a dozen Waratahs games this year so maybe I am not best placed to comment (but I will anyway) - but I think Kepu still shares that very Australian habit of collapsing too many scrums. I would be very pleased to be proven wrong.

H

high tower

The backs a combo of last man standing, tried and proven and form this year(of the starters only AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has struggled for form)

1st choice back up

Genia Burgess
Cooper Beale/JOC (James O'Connor)/Giteau
Ionae McCabe
Giteau Fainga'a
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Mortlock
JOC (James O'Connor) Turner
Beale Gerrard

not considered due to injury
Barnes, Horne, Mitchell, Hynes, Sheppard

13 players leaves 15 forwards, plenty of utilites amongst the back ups provides cover for all positions

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Mortlock?... I'd prefer to see McCabe as backup OC and someone like Davies on the wing. We are already moving players out of positions (JOC (James O'Connor)), I'd like to see us try pick actual wingers as their backups.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I need to preface this by saying I have only seen about half a dozen Waratahs games this year so maybe I am not best placed to comment (but I will anyway) - but I think Kepu still shares that very Australian habit of collapsing too many scrums. I would be very pleased to be proven wrong.

Better go and watch some of those Tahs games before you comment then. All round the best prop in Oz this year followed by Slipper and then Robinson.

After the Super Series I would rank Oz Props (for both set piece and general play)

THP:-
1) Kepu
2) Slipper
3) Baxter
4) Fairbrother
5) Alexander
6) Palmer/Holmes (the latter has had limitted game time and the former still has to improve away from the set peice)

LHP
1) Robinson
2) Longbum
2) Daley (a couple of years and he will be starting LHP for Oz his set peice will improve under Link and Evans)
4) Alexander
5) Henderson

pecking order for those who play boths sides:-
1. Kepu
2. Slipper
3. Alexander
4. Dunning

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I have a feeling Longbum can play both sides.
I think he went to TH last weekend when Dunning came off?
Could be wrong.

H

high tower

Mortlock?... I'd prefer to see McCabe as backup OC and someone like Davies on the wing. We are already moving players out of positions (JOC (James O'Connor)), I'd like to see us try pick actual wingers as their backups.

Mortlock was the incumbent 13 and captain before he went down injured, there has not being a wallaby team picked since he came back, Elsom apparently is in the running based on 1 game this year so why not afford him the chance to prove himself in the tri nations at least.

McCabe played every game last season on the wing for the Brumbies, Davies is hardly a shoe in for the Reds if everyone is fit so the World cup might be a stretch!

Status
Not open for further replies.