• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mortlock at 12?

Nah...

Naaaaahhhh...

13 has always been his position, and we have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)... regardless of his form playing out of position...

He only played a few games at 13 this year for the Brumbies, and in my opinion he was fine... he just suffered from lousy ball from his inside backs...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Gerrard best assets
his kick return- strong and hard in heavy traffic or one on one
and brilliant kick can turn average situation into opportunity with good chase.
2nd phase playmaker with good all round skills and vision

Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) all likely starters so not covering 15, and JOC (James O'Connor) woeful under the highball in the past.

Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) maybe cover for Cooper @ 10 based on form, and no other contenders outside the top 15.

Gerrard is even slower than Mortlock. Hell, he's slower then Carter. With the big boot and slow pace he may as well just wait for the turning of the Earth to bring him back beneath the ball.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Gerrard is even slower than Mortlock. Hell, he's slower then Carter. With the big boot and slow pace he may as well just wait for the turning of the Earth to bring him back beneath the ball.

Which makes him a bad option for the 3N, but a smart option for the RWC squad... Just in case there is a game against some NH outfit in miserable Kiwi conditions.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For me, Gerrard is a lot like Palmer...

Excellent at one thing, but not quite good enough to be included...

I would love to see Palmer scrum against the top international scrummaging teams like England, Italy, Wales, France and New Zealand... but you won't see him anywhere else around the field...

Gerrard will boot that ball way back to the other end of the field, but don't expect any form of counter attack...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I would love to see Slipper scrum against the top international scrummaging teams like England, Italy, Wales, France and New Zealand... but you won't see him anywhere else around the field...

I assume you mean't Palmer? Cause Slipper is the complete opposite to that description haha

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gerard makes up for his lack of pace with his anticipation, I am big fan of "horse for courses" If Aus was playing the Boks or England in shitty weather, he would be a great option at 15. His skidding low kicks into the corners could peg them back.

On the flip side, he ain't going to run and he will kick 98% of the time, so the opps back 3 can be often be set. Against the say ABs they would just do a quick throw and counter.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK bored, Deans said last night they will be picking 40 for the first squad and assuming Queensland gets to the final, some of those won't feature in the first test against Samoa as it is the following week

So, what will that team look like .....................

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I would like to see:

15. Kurtley Beale
14. Digby Ioane
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. James O'Connor
11. Nick Cummins
10. Matt Giteau
9. Luke Burgess
8. Radike Samo
7. David Pocock
6. Ben McCalman
5. Nathan Sharpe
4. Sam Wykes
3. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
1. Ben Robinson

A couple of Reds there in Samo and Ioane. I would only give Samo a half before putting on Hodgo and moving McCalman to 8.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
40 man squad - queenslanders in brackets, no injured players? here goes

forwards
Robinson, Moore Sharpe Pockock
longbottom, Charles Vicks McCalman
alexander, Pyle (or Timani, if he's interested) Hodgeson
(slipper and daley to come) Mumm Dennis
(horwill and simmons to come) suspect a young 7 - hooper or colby
(robinson, higgers, samo to come)

backs
Phipps stannard AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) JOC (James O'Connor)
kingi Gits mcCabe Beale
(genia to come) To'omua mortlock turner
(cooper to come) (ant F to come) Cummins Vuna (davies, morohan to come)

not considered due to injury: TPN, Kepu, Palu, Mowen, Burgess, barnes, horne - shit, they're all tahs!

biggest concern is in the centres. Don't think carter or cross will get a shot - maybe Coleman? Deans likes youngsters

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
a Non-QLD team:

15 Kurtley Beale
14 Lachlan Turner
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
12 James O'Connor
11 Pat McCabe
10 Matt Giteau
9 Luke Burgess (or Nick Phipps if Burgo is injured)
8 Ben McCalman
7 David Pocock
6 David Dennis
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Sam Wykes
3 Ben Alexander
2 Stephen Moore
1 Benn Robinson

16 Tatafu Polota-Nau (or Nathan Charles if injured)
17 Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18 Dean Mumm
19 Ita Vaea
20 Nick Phipps (Richard Kingi if Burgo injured)
21 Tom Carter
22 Mark Gerrard

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
1-Robinson
2-Moore
3-Alexander
4-Sharpe
5-Vickerman/Wykes
6-Elsom
7-Pocock
8-McCalman
9-Phipps (rumors Burgess won't be ready for first test)
10-Giteau
11-McCabe
12- O'Connor
13-Ashley-Cooper
14- Turner
15- Beale

Bench: Charles, Longbottom, Vickerman/Wykes, Hodgson, Sheehan/Kingi, Carter/Gerrard/Shepherd

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
15 Kurtley Beale
14 Cameron Shepherd
13 Adam Ashley-Cooper
12 James O'Connor
11 Nick Cummins
10 Matt Giteau
9 Luke Burgess/Phipps
8 Ben McCalman
7 David Pocock
6 David Dennis
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Sam Wykes
3 Ben Alexander
2 Stephen Moore
1 Benn Robinson

16 Tatafu Polota-Nau/Charles
17 Longbottom
18 Dean Mumm
19 Matt Hodgson
20 Nick Phipps/Stannard
21 Pat McCabe
22 Lachlan Turner

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Is JOC (James O'Connor) actually going to play at 12 in Tri-Nations? Or is it more wishful thinking from a few posters?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
And what if it's a Reds v Tah final.. Do we pick a team of Brumbies + Force + Rebels. Oh god.

Status
Not open for further replies.