• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There is no way Baxter can ever put on a Wallaby jersey again. Every Ref in the world knows he is branded a Grass muncher. And every prop up against him is going to collapse a shitload of scrums knowing that they are a better than even chance of getting the penalty.

Please. How cynical is that. Pick the best scrummagers. Baxter is certainly one of them.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Rather than criticising everyone else's ideas and somewhat justifiable opinions, why don't you enlighten us on your ideal team Jay-C..

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It is the perception Querty. Sully is right in what he is saying.

Is there any truth to it however, I can't imagine not picking a bloke because refs have pre-conceived ideas about a player. Seems very unfair. I know there's been talk about it but I'd back refs to be more professional than that. Baxter hasn't been pinged off the park this year. I think Baxter is at the top of his game. Never scrummaged better and is getting through plenty of work.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Is there any truth to it however, I can't imagine not picking a bloke because ref's have pre-conceived ideas about a player. I know there's been talk about it but I'd back refs to be more professional than that.

In the 2009 internationals I remember thinking we just can't pick Baxter again - the penalty.... penalty is just too much, whether it is deserved or not.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well lets write off Alexander's career as well. Slipper too after that Italian game.

Didn't the ref even apologise to Baxter and say he got it wrong? (Same as Slipper)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
First Choice XV, No injuries

1. Benn Robinson - Nothing else, hands down best #1 in the country.
2. Tatafa Polata-Nau
3. Sekope Kepu - Solid scrummager, offers more than Daley.
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. James Horwill
6. Rocky Elsom (C) - He's our captain, and needs some time on the field to prove it. The best 6 in the country, like it or not.
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. James O'Connor
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Digby Ioane
15. Kurtley Beale

5-2 bench
16. Stephen Moore - consistent and fit, to come on after TPN wears out in the first half.
17. James Slipper - Deserves a spot, one of the better props in the country
18. Sam Wykes/Dan Vickerman - I'd go with the later of the two in big games, blood Wykes in trials
19. Matt Hodgson - Use against bokkies for mobility
20. Wycliff Palu - Use against kiwis as impact player
21. Matt Giteau - cover 9,10,12
22. Ben Lucas/Pat McCabe - covers 11-15, later based on experience. could have both depending on bench split

Bit too much QLD if you ask me hahahaha. QLD has been dominated at scrumtime, I personally wouldn't persist with Slipper and Daley.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Well lets write off Alexander's career as well. Slipper too after that Italian game.

Didn't the ref even apologise to Baxter and say he got it wrong? (Same as Slipper)

It was a common thread through the internationals in 2009, as mentioned in the wiki. Slipper isn't carrying that baggage - and maybe Al isn't either, but it was so excruciating at the time that I'm not picking him.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Daley will get picked (in the squad) before palmer and longbum. I'm not saying I agree but I can defiantly see it happening. Fair game to Daley he does a hell of a lot of work around the paddock and his scrum is improving with age.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Props require a lot of experience. I think Deans would be crazy not to pick the most experienced and qualified in Al. I'm a big fan of Daley, Fainga'a, Slipper tbh but they're just no where near ready for Test rugby yet. They are very good prospects but they need more years. The WC is no place for development, you pick your best players. I fear we'll see another England shaming if we pick these young props.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
If fully fit, the Tah's front row rivals any front row in the SH and is our best chance to hold our own against the NH teams. I know this is the 3N's thread but with England in the Semi's of the WC, we need our best scrummagers out there and that is Robinson, TPN, Kepu...

TPN definitely the best scrummager at 2...

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You can go around in circle here as long as you like. I'm pretty certain he won't be picked and I know why.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
looking at their main priority of the set piece> any advantage tpn has in the scrum(however minimal), moore eclipses with an advantage in the lineout, while tpn has improved there is no doubt- moore is superior in this regard.
the fact u suggest he wont make dominant tackles and strong runs suggests you have only been watching the tahs games this year
#11. Stephen Moore (Brumbies) 124 runs (tpn isnt in the top 20)
neither is in the top 20 for tackles but #7. Stephen Moore (Brumbies) 22 offloads counts for something.
none of the stats i could find favour tpn and id be happy to be shown otherwise but for me what makes more the more complete player is moores ability to play 80mins

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd rather see Kepu, Robinson and Slipper fight for their spots in the 22. No point taking Longbottom, Charles, Fainga'a if they aren't going to get a look in and not really going to challenge for spots on the training paddock. At least take Baxter and Alexander and let them run lose in training drills, if not there for their skills they will at least be able to pass on knowledge and advice about opposition players.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Rather than criticising everyone else's ideas and somewhat justifiable opinions, why don't you enlighten us on your ideal team Jay-C..

touche'
however i feel ive done this about a dozen times the last few months> im running out the door now but nex time im back on ill get to it~

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So much critisism of the reds props on here. Yes scrummaging is a problem but props how many props can you name at their age who consistantly dominate other scrums. This is Slipper's second professional year, fair to say he is a great prospect in the future and deserves to be the starting tighthead or off the bench (Kepu starting). Daley is the best around the field working props in the country, and under Alec Evans at the Reds he will become the wallabies loosehead a few years.

Reality is, the wallabies have 4 high quality props and I am confident the scrum will improve significantly this year.
Robinson-Moore-Kepu with Tatafu and Slipper on the bench. Thats pretty healthy front row stocks, with Alexander as the 4th prop.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
Benn Alexander would have to be the most overrated prop i have ever seen, he does absolutely nothing. Worse than Ma'afu, glad to see nobody is mentioning his name anymore.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So much critisism of the reds props on here. Yes scrummaging is a problem but props how many props can you name at their age who consistantly dominate other scrums. This is Slipper's second professional year, fair to say he is a great prospect in the future and deserves to be the starting tighthead or off the bench (Kepu starting). Daley is the best around the field working props in the country, and under Alec Evans at the Reds he will become the wallabies loosehead a few years.

It's not criticism, it's a reality, the Reds props are too young. I still think they are fantastic propests for the future but right now they are not Test standard.

T

TOCC

Keep Baxter away from a test jersey, weve seen it for years, he performs well at super level but as soon as he faces some credible scrums at test level he fails.. He has had more then enough opportunity to display his ability and didnt take it to the next level.

Kepu, Robinson and Slipper will be the first 3 props selected, Daley, Palmer, Longbottom and Alexander can fight it out for the remaining positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.