• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And what if it's a Reds v Tah final.. Do we pick a team of Brumbies + Force + Rebels. Oh god.

That makes things more interesting:

15. Shepherd
14. McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Cummins
10. Giteau
9. Phipps
8. Vaea
7. Pocock
6. McCalman
5. Sharpe
4. Kimlin
3. Palmer
2. Moore
1. Longottom

16. Charles
17. Alexander
18. Wykes
19. Hodgson
20. Sheehan
21. Stannard
22. Gerrard

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That makes things more interesting:

15. Shepherd
14. McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Cummins
10. Giteau
9. Phipps
8. McCalman
7. Pocock
6. Hodgson
5. Sharpe
4. Vickerman
3. Palmer
2. Moore
1. Longottom

16. Charles
17. Baxter - When our scrum starts collapsing, would be good to know we have experience on the bench
18. Wykes
19. Vaea
20. Sheehan
21. Stannard
22. Gerrard

That team would struggle against any international opposition, particularly big islander forward packs. I'd like to think Deans will still be able to call Genia, Quade, Beau, Kurtley or just someone with an X factor.. Should be a few players willing to play that game anyway.

I put in Vicks just cause he isn't playing finals footy, so why not trial him.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
it would be nice for genia and quade to have at least a half off here and there during the 3 nations, they have played alot of minutes and a rest wont dot hem any harm, we also need to blood a replacement 10, the last couple of cups havnt gone smoothly there.

Reactions: DPK

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Have to decide early what type of game you want Gits playing. He either goes all out and plays 80mins at 12 or he comes off the bench as cover for

I think first and foremost we need to establish another quality international winger in case Mitchell doesn't come good. McCabe would be my first trial, followed by Turner. I am not keen on having Cooper, Gits, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Barnes all on the field at once if we can avoid it. Too many ego's and the set plays would end up with them just confusing themselves. Same goes with the forward pack; Beau Robinson, Kepu, Hodgson, Palu and Samo all deserve a go. We need to work out who are best 3 are and settle on them as run ons, no point having 5 players you can't decide between and ending up with the wrong combination. I'd consider putting Ioane at 13 and given AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) a rest for a few games, we need to blood and give us much time on the wing as possible to McCabe, Sheppard, Turner, Davies, returning Mitchell (and well whoever else gets picked)

Ultimately it depends on the opposition but you don't want to be chopping and changing too much come Tri Nations and Bledisloe cup games. I'd have one backline for the AB's and a different one for the Boks. Target their weaknesses rather than going on our strengths.

AB's
Robinson, Moore, Kepu, Sharpe, Horwill, Elsom, Pocock, Palu. - Genia, Cooper, Ioane, Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor), Beale. #22 Gits

Allows Barnes to cover Coopers deficiencies, mobile forward pack. Use Palu as wrecking bull to soften kiwis/injure McCaw, then bring on McCalman. Barnes plays 60mins, tactical kicking and defence, goes off with his headaches, bring on Gits. We can get away with this centre pairing as the Kiwis are only just finding their feet now too. I don't think SBW is a big game player either so Barnes could work well against him. JOC (James O'Connor) to be our goal kicker and Beale to counter attack. That backline would scare any international team, so many different modes of attack and solid defence. Ideally, TPN for Moore when he comes back.

Boks
Robinson, Moore, Kepu, Sharpe, Horwill, Elsom, Pocock, McCalman. - Genia, Cooper, Ioane, Gits, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor), Beale. Barnes getting rehab.

Need speed in backrow to challenge Bokkies, I'd consider Hodgson for the bench possibly Samo. Gits + AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) well formed combination in centres, going to need them playing together against experienced centre pairings (SBW + Fruen not there yet). Rest Barnes, he's more effective against Kiwis, consider moving JOC (James O'Connor) inwards if QC (Quade Cooper) or Gits pick up injury. McCabe on the bench. Probably the most solid team, I wouldn't look for impact off the bench, just solid defensive players, maybe Gerrard depending on conditions. I'd start Moore over TPN for this one, less likely to get injured and will have alot more gas in the tank then a returning from injury TPN.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
"Baxter - When our scrum starts collapsing, would be good to know we have experience on the bench"
when our scrum starts collapsing good to know we have the most penalised prop in history (for scrum collapsing) on the bench
these are test matches not charity events.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Baxter + Moore = Has worked in the past
Longbum + Moore + Palmer = Could end up worse than the experienced pairing.

I'd rather have Baxter there just quietly, at least to say goodbye to him if not anything else.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Barnes can play a couple of full games of club rugby before he is available for selection in my 22.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Honestly I prefer Moore as the Starting Wallaby Hooker. I appreciate the impact TPN offers but I feel more confident in Moore's ability to last longer which offers the side more stability.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Honestly I prefer Moore as the Starting Wallaby Hooker. I appreciate the impact TPN offers but I feel more confident in Moore's ability to last longer which offers the side more stability.

If TPN's fit I would always have him start. He offers so much more than Moore especially with Palu gone. The extra push he gives you in scrums is incredible. Moore won't make dominant tackles or strong runs.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Baxter + Moore = Has worked in the past
Longbum + Moore + Palmer = Could end up worse than the experienced pairing.

I'd rather have Baxter there just quietly, at least to say goodbye to him if not anything else.

everyone may have a different opinion on this but i have to completely object on every level to this.
maybe if it was a latham on 99 games for the reds situation, but test matches are no place for doing friends a favor. same can be said to waugh. especially in a world cup year. caps must be deserved.
there is an uproar in nz when the supporters believe the jersey is being cheapened. and we must take the same ruthless approach if we want to be number one

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
If TPN's fit I would always have him start. He offers so much more than Moore especially with Palu gone. The extra push he gives you in scrums is incredible. Moore won't make dominant tackles or strong runs.

qwerty mate are u trying to start a riot?
go back and watch the last half of the brumbies season> moore is the best player on the park in just about every game.
id start tpn myself, but that would be for impact from the start- moore is the more complete player

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
There is no way Baxter can ever put on a Wallaby jersey again. Every Ref in the world knows he is branded a Grass muncher. And every prop up against him is going to collapse a shitload of scrums knowing that they are a better than even chance of getting the penalty.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
First Choice XV, No injuries

1. James Slipper
2. Tatafa Polata-Nau
3. Ben Daley
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. James Horwill
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Will Genia (C)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. James O'Connor
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Digby Ioane
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Stephen Moore
17. Benn Robinson
18. Beau Robinson
19. Radike Samo
20. Luke Burgess
21. Matt Giteau
22. Ben Lucas

Ben Lucas may seem like a longshot, but he has versatility (played flyhalf at schoolboy level, halfback at the Reds initially and has found his home at fullback). If he were to come on for an injured winger, a backline reshuffle where O'Connor moved to the wing may be the best option. He probably won't be picked here, but I think he would offer great versatility if he was. But most of all, he's probably the best defender in the whole of Super Rugby, he wouldn't let anybody through in the heat of a tight game.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
TPN also offers more time receiving treatment. The ARU negotiated this with channel 9 so as to control the timing of commercials during wallaby games.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
qwerty mate are u trying to start a riot?
go back and watch the last half of the brumbies season> moore is the best player on the park in just about every game.
id start tpn myself, but that would be for impact from the start- moore is the more complete player

I'm talking sense mate. I have no doubt Moore is one of the Brumbies' best but I fail to see how that relates to being a better player than TPN. TPN is the core of the Tahs pack. Moore is world-class and does his job very well but I just feel TPN offers that extra physicality we've been missing - especially with our other big Tongan gone in Palu. To say Moore is more of a complete player is wrong. A hooker's main priority is the set-piece and I cannot say Moore is better than TPN at the set-piece. TPN has no issues with his throwing anymore, don't have the stats but I doubt he has more skewed throws than Moore. As for the scrums I have no doubt TPN is better scrummager, not that Moore is a bad one just that TPN is the stronger player and his value to the Tahs scrum is immense. Around the park, TPN is a better ball carrier and dominant tackler, Moore probably has a higher work-rate but work has never been the Wallabies problem - it's always been effectiveness. TPN is one hell of an effective player.

Plus what do you even mean by

What's the debate then?

Status
Not open for further replies.