• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Random question; what happened to Mark Gerrard for him to lose his place in the Wallabies squad in the first place?

Deans didn't appreciate his lack of pace..

And unfortunately he's gotten slower and more one dimensional...

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Random question; what happened to Mark Gerrard for him to lose his place in the Wallabies squad in the first place?

The year before he left for o/s he had a very good season for the Ponies, with his long kicking game probably the best of any OZ back.

Do you recall all the movement, ie played at 12, 10, centre etc. A few failed experiments in there. Then there was injury that took it's toll on his speed (which was heavily criticized if I recall).

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The OZ 2007 squad most probably would have performed a bit better (even against England) had Larkham been fit. BB was not ready for such a game IMO. Yes the forwards were beaten up, but that's why a Larkham quality could've or turned something in OZ favor.

Swarley - which of your props cover both sides that would be low risk going into match?

The larkham situation is an interesting one, it draws a few parraelles to this world cup campaign. If Cooper goes down the wallabies can't play the same style at all, gits or barnes go to ten and we lose the width we have played with, hopefully deans gives whoever the back up is some quality time in the lead up as if it happens again were doomed.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
The larkham situation is an interesting one, it draws a few parraelles to this world cup campaign. If Cooper goes down the wallabies can't play the same style at all, gits or barnes go to ten and we lose the width we have played with, hopefully deans gives whoever the back up is some quality time in the lead up as if it happens again were doomed.

Throw the dice and put in JOC (James O'Connor).

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't recall any of his career other than highlights I have seen. I asked because I recently saw the highlights of a Bledisloe game where he scored 2 impressive tries (a Test where Rogers played 10).

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sekope Kepu and James Slipper can both play loosehead.

From my armchair Slipper looks suspect on the LH side at scrum time the little I've seen him on that side.

I do like his workrate though and is probably the most active at ruck time and around the park of the 4 fatties you've named.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think a major difference between the potential squad for this WC and the 07 one is the depth we have. Just by looking at the shadow players you can tell there is a lot more to choose from. There is going to be a lot of quality players that will miss out.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The year before he left for o/s he had a very good season for the Ponies, with his long kicking game probably the best of any OZ back.

Do you recall all the movement, ie played at 12, 10, centre etc. A few failed experiments in there. Then there was injury that took it's toll on his speed (which was heavily criticized if I recall).

Yes but there was that sloe test match in Brisbane that the wallabies lost because Mccaw chased him down from behind. Mccaw us pretty quick but that is embarrassing for a winger.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think a major difference between the potential squad for this WC and the 07 one is the depth we have. Just by looking at the shadow players you can tell there is a lot more to choose from. There is going to be a lot of quality players that will miss out.

If we have all our top players fit and firing on the day you could say we'd have up to 8 players worthy (but not guaranteed) of selection in a world team: Robinson, tpn, sharpe, pocock, genia, ioane, Mitchell, Beale. More than any team except the kiwis could claim but it is a big if on the 'fit and firing' front.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes but there was that sloe test match in Brisbane that the wallabies lost because Mccaw chased him down from behind. Mccaw us pretty quick but that is embarrassing for a winger.

In the context of the situation it really wasn't as bad as his detractors made out...

He was also the Wobs' leading try scorer that year...

I recall JOC (James O'Connor) playing on the wing last year, and with a decent head start got chased down by Kankowski...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
In the context of the situation it really wasn't as bad as his detractors made out...

He was also the Wobs' leading try scorer that year...

I recall JOC (James O'Connor) playing on the wing last year, and with a decent head start got chased down by Kankowski...

That was different, and I'm pretty sure you could see that. O'Connor had a fullback closing in, was slowing to time his footsteps to allow a kick, and Kankowski is exceedingly rapid for a backrower.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
If we have all our top players fit and firing on the day you could say we'd have up to 8 players worthy (but not guaranteed) of selection in a world team: Robinson, tpn, sharpe, pocock, genia, ioane, Mitchell, Beale. More than any team except the kiwis could claim but it is a big if on the 'fit and firing' front.

I think that 'on his day' Quade Cooper would be the first player picked in a World XV. That being said, it is subject to when he is 'on his day'.

Bob Dwyer said that to win the Rugby World Cup you need five World XV players. Do we have five?

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Martin Castrogiovanni
4. Richie Gray
5. Victor Matfield
6. Sean O'Brien
7. David Pocock
8. Imanol Harinordoquy
9. Will Genia
10. Dan Carter
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Chris Ashton
15. Kurtley Beale
--------------------------
16. Kevin Mealamu
17. Benn Robinson
18. Andries Bekker
19. Richie McCaw
20. Ben Youngs
21. James O'Connor
22. Ben Foden

Australia will win the World Cup, I can feel it coming.

G

GC

TPN won't be in the run-on team and would be behind Du Plessis and probably Moore in a world 15. It's unlikely Mitchell will make it back and be in the form he was in before injury by the time the RWC gets going. Fat Cat is still very good but also not world 15 - he'd be lucky to make the reserve bench for the Crusaders.

Currently, there's be a good argument for Genia (though outplayed by Youngs last year), Beale, Pocock (Richie hasn't had a good year due to injury).

World class is another matter (i.e. amongst the top 2 or 3 in their positions).

W

What2040

From my armchair Slipper looks suspect on the LH side at scrum time the little I've seen him on that side.

I do like his workrate though and is probably the most active at ruck time and around the park of the 4 fatties you've named.

Slips played LHP in EOYT against Italy and France when he displaced Ben Robo (who was playing woeful at that time) - went pretty well from my recollection - Robo has now found form around the paddock (his scrummaging has always been excellant at LHP) - The Reds have always played Slipper at THP and it is only the poor scrummaging at 1. and 2. has made the Reds scrum look poor at times (although the Reds front row is pretty special around the field) - If Deans picks Robo, Moore and Slipper IMO that is the best scrum frontrow available - Kepu on bench. Slipper and Kepu cover both sides as Robo can only play LHP. TPN on the bench for an impact in last 20 or 30. Moore digs in for up to 80, is a great scrummager, tough as teak and doesn't go down "injured" after each run or tackle.

Agree with tigerland about the depth of our WC Squad - also Wallabies are a young team on the up - the competition for spots is intense and that can only be a good thing

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

You build your a game around your 10 and his abilities. Cooper, despite his clear and known weaknesses, is an imposing threat that a side would be mad not to build themselves around his talents.

On Barnes, I wouldn't even consider Barnes at the moment, he ain't playing, we don't know when he will be playing.

Gits will be the back up 10 and probably start there against Samoa.

Status
Not open for further replies.