• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

What2040

Gits has repeatedly failed at 10 at international level. JOC (James O'Connor) would have to be backup 10, wouldn't he?

you'd have to think so but don't reckon it will happen

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gits has repeatedly failed at 10 at international level. JOC (James O'Connor) would have to be backup 10, wouldn't he?

JOC (James O'Connor) played there a couple of times and you want him to start a test match there?

Failed is a bit harsh, he ain't the best, but at least he plays there and showed some reasonable form over the season, no one else has

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I think it should be O'Connor. He's one of the most creative players in Australia, and he's the closest thing we've got to Quade. Also means we can keep a backline of:

Genia
O'Connor
Mitchell
Giteau
Ashley-Cooper
Ioane
Beale

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Wallabies train-on squad went into camp yesterday, anyone got a squad list? Giteau, Elsom, Moore, Ashley-Cooper, Alexander, Ma'afu and McCabe are there from Brumbies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You build your a game around your 10 and his abilities. Cooper, despite his clear and known weaknesses, is an imposing threat that a side would be mad not to build themselves around his talents.

On Barnes, I wouldn't even consider Barnes at the moment, he ain't playing, we don't know when he will be playing.

Gits will be the back up 10 and probably start there against Samoa.

That is the problem that WJ is alluding to. Build the game around Cooper, with the outside backs often receiving the ball in a lot of space, then change over the Giteau where they will receive a lot less space due to a) crabbing and b) less passing ability. Luckily we would still have Genia who probably passes (consistently), up to 3-5m longer (to the flyhalf) than the next best in Oz.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That is the problem that WJ is alluding to. Build the game around Cooper, with the outside backs often receiving the ball in a lot of space, then change over the Giteau where they will receive a lot less space due to a) crabbing and b) less passing ability. Luckily we would still have Genia who probably passes (consistently), up to 3-5m longer (to the flyhalf) than the next best in Oz.

You make do and adjust your game plan, it all we can do really

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
We built our game around lark ham and he went down just in time for the world cup, we have had 18 months of Cooper, I was just saying the backup needs game time and a fair bit of it leading in so we can back ourselves up a little.

Reactions: DPK

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Also, apart from WJ's point, how many minutes has Cooper played this year? Has he not played 80 minutes in any game this year? He could use some solid down time when he can get it.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I don't recall any of his career other than highlights I have seen. I asked because I recently saw the highlights of a Bledisloe game where he scored 2 impressive tries (a Test where Rogers played 10).

The highlights of most Wallabies include many impressive tries, even props. Take a look at Lachy Turner's highlight reel sometime - it's amazing. But he's still not good enough.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
In the context of the situation it really wasn't as bad as his detractors made out...

He was also the Wobs' leading try scorer that year...

I recall JOC (James O'Connor) playing on the wing last year, and with a decent head start got chased down by Kankowski...

Is that true?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wallabies train-on squad went into camp yesterday, anyone got a squad list? Giteau, Elsom, Moore, Ashley-Cooper, Alexander, Ma'afu and McCabe are there from Brumbies.

Ma'afu... why....

JOC (James O'Connor) was chased down by Kankowski last year.

G

GC

JOC (James O'Connor) smoked Shane Williams last year too ergo Williams is slower than Ma'afu? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.