• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lose Rocky, wont miss him at all. And make room for new blood like above. Deans little pets Rocky and Burgess.
Tatafu Polota Nau, he should not be in the squad.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Interesting squad and interesting responses.

I am not surprised to see Maafu and Mumm jn the squad, and if he was fit Brown would have been there too. I am surprised that Chisholm isn't in the squad (is he injured?). I'm not saying I think they should be in the squad, but Deans obviously sees something in them, and he has generally tended to be loyal/consistent/stubborn with his selections.

I wouldn't be too hasty in dismissing Larkham's comments on Cooper - his defence is not great (even in the final against the Crusaders there was a moment - the Carter try - that really summed up for me the thing about Coopers defence that I'm not comfortable with: "Yours!"). I think McKenzie has shown that if you want to go with Cooper then you pretty much have to set up the team to both compensate for his failings and take advantage of his talents.

Turner's last game for the Wallabies (and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s for that matter) was an absolute blinder - I wouldn't right him off too soon either.

As for who will make the World Cup squad....there will certainly be injuries before that is decided so there is no point yet really, not to mention that there are a few games coming up for the contenders to stake a claim.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Langthrorne, Chisholm's season ended when he injured himself against the Reds...

A real shame too because he was having a blinder in that game...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tatafu Polota Nau, he should not be in the squad.

A theory was mentioned in the Ma'afu selection thread that players are valuable in a squad because they can share their experience and knowledge with other players. I think having TPN and Palu there may be similar to this.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Is it just me or are we actually starting to see depth and more competition for a few more positions? Good signs for not just this year but the next few if these guys all stick around. Expecting most Reds to get a week off but the likes of Davies, A Fainga'a and Robinson that have just had a few games back from injury to get a run to prove themselves and put pressure on other players

There are 4 players i see as keys though to our success at the WC. Pretty obvious but Genia, Cooper in the backs and Pocock, Horwill up front. Horwill's performance in the final in particular on saturday was huge and one of the best forward performances by an Aussie so far this year. Lineout, breakdown, big defence were all huge and he can clean out a ruck like few others at the moment. Genia and Cooper are yet to put together a performance at test level up to the same standard of their Super Rugby, if they can do this and Cooper can replicate the extra maturity he has gained since the last test season we are in with a very very good shot.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu (Was the best Super THP in Aus before his injury)
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. James Horwill
6. Rocky Elsom (c)
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. James O'Connor
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Rod Davies
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Impact player = less chance of injury)
17. James Slipper (Good cover for LHP and THP)
18. Radike Samo / Rob Simmons (Both Sharpe and Horwill are 80 min players. DK covers 4,5,6,8 and with Palu at 8 provides good impact at the 60/65min mark)
19. Matt Hodgson (Covers 6,7,8 and is still number 2 behind Pocock in my eyes)
20. Luke Burgess
21. Matt Giteau / Anthony Fainga'a (There is enough cover at 10 to leave Gits out, but there's a part of me that thinks he needs to be in the team)
22. Pat McCabe / Luke Morahan (Dependent on selection at 21. Gits covers 10/12 where Fainga'a covers 12/13, realistically McCabe covers 11-15)

Scary fast and creative kick returns in that squad. Scary.

I like that team but have Higgers instead of Rocky and Simmons instead of Sharpe.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
I like that team but have Higgers instead of Rocky and Simmons instead of Sharpe.

Rocky's gotta be in there. He's El Capitano.

Simmons is good, but Sharpe is the lineout general and makes big metres. He's gotta be in the starting team.

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
I am not happy that Sam Wykes got shunted, D.Mumm can consider himself a lucky man.

Couldn't agree more. Wykes had a fabulous year for the Force and should have been rewarded with a place in the extended squad. It would have been good for his development as he may well be required in the not-so-distant future when Sharpe and Vickerman are gone. The squad could have been 41 to accommodate Vickerman.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Couldn't agree more. Wykes had a fabulous year for the Force and should have been rewarded with a place in the extended squad. It would have been good for his development as he may well be required in the not-so-distant future when Sharpe and Vickerman are gone. The squad could have been 41 to accommodate Vickerman.

Considering the size of some of the squads floating around 40 is such a small number.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Who drops out?

- Hodgson has been great, but Beau has leapfrogged him

Thoughts??

your comparing hodeson plaing 6 with beau playing 7 this year
hodgson with the losing foce and beau with the winning reds,
hodgesons also got the combo with pocock and mcalman and also offers a lot more in options 6 and 8
everytime ive seen hodgeson play 7 hes been the best 7 in aus (of coure hes playng there when pococks out)
i can only find a place for beau if pococks injured and even then hes behind hodgeson for 7

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If it wasn't for Pocock or Smith then Hodgson would have more test caps...

He's without a doubt the second best openside in the country, but what makes him more valuable is that he has plenty of experience at 6 and 8...

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
This thread is making less and less sense every minute. Daley and Slipper over Robinson and Kepu? Robinson useless outside the scrum? Moore (fit) on the bench, TPN (coming back from injuries) starting. I'm lost.

It's the silly season, or the full moon, or something.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
getting a bit sick of larkham promoting giteau as the #1 10 in the country> if git was half the 10 cooper is i doubt ther backline would have been so rubbish
he had a fantastic year for him but oconner is the next best option is cooper goes down> means we dont have to change the gameplan too much
bangin on the same point all year to look after his mate> we are not playing a defensive game!
the wallabies will not win the trinations or world cup by playing defense. we will win by scoring more tries> ie. the reds
a straight swap cooper and beale in defense allows
*coopers superior high ball abilities to shine as well as longer more accurate passes to wingers on the other side of the field
*beales superior tackling front on @ 10
it IS that simple why make it complicated

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
getting a bit sick of larkham promoting giteau as the #1 10 in the country> if git was half the 10 cooper is i doubt ther backline would have been so rubbish
he had a fantastic year for him but oconner is the next best option is cooper goes down> means we dont have to change the gameplan too much
bangin on the same point all year to look after his mate> we are not playing a defensive game!
the wallabies will not win the trinations or world cup by playing defense. we will win by scoring more tries> ie. the reds
a straight swap cooper and beale in defense allows
*coopers superior high ball abilities to shine as well as longer more accurate passes to wingers on the other side of the field
*beales superior tackling front on @ 10
it IS that simple why make it complicated

World Cups are won on good defence...

Anyways, you think when probed by a journalist a coach is going to sell his player short?

Status
Not open for further replies.