• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I would definitely swap those two around. James is a better scrummager than Ben, especially at tight head, and you lose nothing around the field. Ben would be good as a reserve, and can play both sides.

Why no Ioane? for mine, him at 11, JOC (James O'Connor) at 14 and Rod for later.

Shit, forgot Kepu...

This is hard.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No just a new generation of second row players with equal or better skills who are faster around the field. Sharpie or Vickerman would be in the 30 but not both. Sharpies strength at the Force are he motivates the younger guys and keeps them organised, however at Wallabies level these guys are highly motivated and well drilled. One of the reasons the Reds won on the weekend was their forwards especialy secondrow got to the breakdown early. Fitness and youth are a huge part of this success.

Sharpe will be the first lock chosen, the big bald bastard gets better with age and has been the form Aus lock for the last two years.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
The Wallabies are going to be very strong in the lineout - Sharpe, Horwill, Simmons, Samo, Higginbotham, Rocky, Vickerman are all guys who are great lineout options.

S

StonerJack

If Mitchell is looking likely to be fit for the WC then our wings choose themselves. It will be Mitchell at 11 and Digby at 14. In my opinion for the 3N we don't need to chop and change players from their likely spot at the WC. Bring Davies in to look after Mitchells spot and have Gits and JOC (James O'Connor) fighting it out at 12 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13.

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Davies
12. Giteau/JOC (James O'Connor)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Digby
15. Beale

When Mitchell returns he goes straight to 11 and we have our starting back line for RWC.

As for the forwards you'd have to say the Tahs front row were the strongest of the Australian province so Robinson and Kepu rightfully should be our starting props so long as Kepu is over his injury. I would start Moore at hooker as he is more likely to play 60 minutes without breaking himself. TPN to come off the bench. Shapre and Horwill pick themselves and Vickerman should be on the bench. Only played 20 minutes? Big deal class is permanent and he has it in massive amounts.

The back row is so rich in talent right now we should count our blessings. Pocock and Rocky will start and I would love to see Samo at 8 or at the very least on the bench. He could be a game changer. If Palu is fit though you'd have to pick him.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Rocky
7. Pocock
8. Samo (Palu if fit enough)

Add them all together and you've got a recipe for a very good rugby side.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
If Drewster can make it back then this is my team.
I think its important to keep the Tah's front row together. A whole season together will be invaluable.
Hodgson is excellent but Beau's big match experience edges him out. Same with Samo over Palu, winning is a habit and I think the players who were involved over the weekend should edge out any 50/50 calls for that reason.
5-2 bench like the Reds this year because of the versatility of our backs...

1. Robinson
2. Polata-Nau
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom (c)
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. O'Connor
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. Ioane
15. Beale

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Timani/Simmonds
19. B Robinson
20. Burgess
21. Higgers
22. Giteau

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If it was up to me, and all players listed in the squad were fit:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom (c)
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Giteau
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. O'Connor
15. Beale

16. Polata-Nau
17. Slipper
18. Simmons/Timani
19. Hodgson
20. Burgess
21. McCabe
22. Davies

I'm still a little torn with the 12/14 axis between playing Giteau/O'Connor/Davies... when Mitchell is back he'll go straight to the wing and Giteau/O'Connor will fight it out for the inside centre spot...

My other indecision is whether to go with Simmons on the bench (which I'm leaning towards), or having Timani there and building on his form... his size/strength would really come in handy... the other option here would be to have Samo as lock/6/8 cover...

I think Hodgson is the perfect backrow bench player, but if I were to go bigger I'd go with McCalman...

That'd be my team too, Slim. I'm torn too about Gits at 12 but without Mitchell I'm happy to have him there and JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing. Oh, and maybe a 5-2 bench with McCalman and leaving Davies out.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I definitely think Simmons is just ahead of him on consistency, but Timani was one of the best Aussie locks in the last part of the regular season and certainly has some potential there...

Tough choice but I would also lean towards Simmons...

Me too - my earlier remarks about Timani were for the squad of 40 - and for the future - but we should lock him in against Samoa from the bench. This may seen to be a dirty trick but for the reasons stated we shouldn't feel too bad about nabbing him and if 2nd rows can have X-factor for next year, he's got it, and with a good work ethic to back it up.

Sharpie will likely not be around next year and Vickerman will likely be content running and coaching the lineouts and restarts for the Tahs, though you never know. We need the younger blokes to get the chances.

I see some strong years for younger 2nd rowers in Oz rugby: Horwill, Simmons, Timani, Douglas and Pyle will all be in the mix and further down the track some of Carter, Neville and Peterson could join them if they prove themselves in Super Rugby. It looks good.

redsfanatic

Peter Burge (5)
JOC (James O'Connor) will never be 12 for Deans until he is bigger
Gits shouldn't be 12 either, he doesn't combine very well with Quade - a champion team is better than a team of champions so therefore
Anthony Fainga'a should be 12 because he is a good player and combines well with Cooper

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't mind giving Fainga'a a go in the warm up and early games of the RWC but I don't think he's our long term 12 especially if Quade goes to league at any point (IMO he will). Ant is a good defensive option and I wouldn't mind him off the bench against Ireland and northern hemisphere teams but I don't think he would be my first choice come tri nations. He deserves a go but Deans would be crazy to chuck him into a tri-nations opener based on his combination with Quade, we have better options than that.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
a champion team is better than a team of champions so therefore Anthony Fainga'a should be 12 because he is a good player and combines well with Cooper

Now that's a new one. JO'C is TOO GOOD to play for the Wallabies. So we better pick a lesser player!

S

StonerJack

Now that's a new one. JO'C is TOO GOOD to play for the Wallabies. So we better pick a lesser player!

Actually I believe if you read his post again you'll see that he clearly states JOC (James O'Connor) is too small to play 12.

That being said I don't agree with that at all. With Digby and a fit Mitchell JOC (James O'Connor) should be first choice 12. He is a great ball runner with a fantastic step and has great vision. With JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 the men outside him will be used and used well. Can't say the same for Ant Fainga'a.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would be very tempted to trial McCabe at 12 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 for this game. We need a strong running and tackling centre combination, not necessarily a good passing one (as we have the likes of JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper and Beale to do this).

I would be running some set plays with JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing, and would have Davies on the other wing with Ioane getting the week off.

T

TOCC

I would be very tempted to trial McCabe at 12 with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 for this game. We need a strong running and tackling centre combination, not necessarily a good passing one (as we have the likes of JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper and Beale to do this).

I would be running some set plays with JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing, and would have Davies on the other wing with Ioane getting the week off.
This is the sort of centre combination that I too would like to see

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
No just a new generation of second row players with equal or better skills who are faster around the field. Sharpie or Vickerman would be in the 30 but not both. Sharpies strength at the Force are he motivates the younger guys and keeps them organised, however at Wallabies level these guys are highly motivated and well drilled. One of the reasons the Reds won on the weekend was their forwards especialy secondrow got to the breakdown early. Fitness and youth are a huge part of this success.

Sharpe's strength at the force has been that he's been the best lock in the competition. Just sayin'.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I definitely think Simmons is just ahead of him on consistency, but Timani was one of the best Aussie locks in the last part of the regular season and certainly has some potential there...

Tough choice but I would also lean towards Simmons...

It'll depend on how they shape up over the next month, methinks.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Actually I believe if you read his post again you'll see that he clearly states JOC (James O'Connor) is too small to play 12.

That being said I don't agree with that at all. With Digby and a fit Mitchell JOC (James O'Connor) should be first choice 12. He is a great ball runner with a fantastic step and has great vision. With JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 the men outside him will be used and used well. Can't say the same for Ant Fainga'a.

Then we need to go back in time and unpick Horan.

Deans has never said JOC (James O'Connor) is too small. He's said he's not yet physically mature to play 80 minutes at 12. That's a very different thing.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I know Timani has had a few good matches for the Tahs but I question his experience under pressure at test level. If your got other large forwards like Palu, Samo, Higginbotham, Horwill and Simmons, do you need Timani in the 22?

Status
Not open for further replies.