• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Sat 27th October 4.45pm AEDT, Nissan Stadium, Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I do have to say from the ABs point of view, how bloody good is Ardie Savea playing? He really has become a bloody good all round 7. and I might add I did think that Barrett try was one of best set piece tries I have seen in some time.
Cane is still better. Nifty bench option though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Addit: Wales will be licking their lips. If they can't beat this lot, they should fire Gatland immediately.

Italy have the potential to upset us.

England are going to pulverise us.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Things I took away from that game...

- Ref didn’t lose it for us. Average calls went both ways. One team will always have a couple more against them.
- individual poor skills from about 5 or 6 players did. Missed one on one tackles, poor passes and bad decisions from those few killed us.
- Falou’s pass/intercept, which wasn’t on, and Tolu’s poor discipline were the two biggest individual moments which fucked us.
- Fainga’a really impressed me for the first time... needs to work on his set piece more but is coming along.
- Simmons played the way lots of people know he can play. His inconsistency is frustrating.
- Hooper... captain’s knock. Need more of that from him.
- Sio, Poey, Sefa, Koroibete all had strong games.
- Foley mixed bag. Give me To'omua at 10 please.
- DHP needs to be benched or rested. Banks deserves a start.
- Hanigan underwhelming but one of his better games.
- Dempsey looking on track to his form pre injuries. Expecting big things from him and think he is capable of it.
- Kerevi great cameo in attack and Defense. I was not expecting that from him. I like him coming on with no less than 30 to go and changing our attack. Try he set up for Falou was superb.
- Unlike many comments I’ve read I think our basic skills have come along quite a bit as a team. Some individuals however seem unable to improve their skill set and decision making. There was some fantastic interchanging of passes from the forwards during the game. I remember being particularly impressed with a couple of Poey’s touches. Also some smarter lines being run.

Moving forward I feel better about the upcoming games after that performance. Would love to see To'omua in as well as Dempsey and Banks. Petaia and Duncan P into the squad as well please.

Agree with a couple of the Kiwi’s here.... A Savea is just getting better and better. He can comfortably play any back row position at test level now. Incredible power. Scary what he will be like if he keeps improving

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Foley played quite well. The bits that didn't stick were clearly coached, like the switch kick to the wing and the cut outs.

Saved at least one try in cover defence too.

To'omua has never had a better game than Foley just had in a 10 jersey and thats not the highest bar to set. Hes a 12.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
poosibly not the right thread, but after Saturday. i'd go

Genia
Foley
Koroibete
To'omua
Kurindrani (when fit and available)
Folau
DHP

Phipps
Kerevi (to replace TK for final 20+ mins)
Beale (to replace DHP for final 20+ mins)

equally happy for Sefa Naivalu to be retained.

wont happen though. KB (Kurtley Beale) is a welded in starter for Cheika.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Finally found the time and energy to watch this game. Well up to the YC anyway. Given I havent watched the whole game I wont add to the 3-2-1 thread.

But I'm surprised at the low number of responses. I'm also surprised at a lack of support for Hooper who I thought was one of the best on field. Yes Pocock was good but I thought Hooper was better. Also thought both Foley and Beale did well when they had a chance to shine. Genia again really good.

Simmo deserves a 3 on this one simply for how he muscled up at this level. Awesome knock by the bloke.

The big change in momentum for me was when the reserve front row came on. We should be able to expect better from that three. And actually throughout the AB scrum was dominant. We really should target doing better than that.

Defensive performance much better, the barn dance is tempering but needs to go further.

Thought Folau looked OK at 13 albeit I wasn't convinced by DHP's performance at 15.

Got to be impressed by Hanigan and Dempsey. Those guys give me hope.

Our issue is not the cattle at all. The coaching team is getting better, enough even to put us back solidly to top 5. But if we want more we need a strategist/tactician. Someone who can review the opposition and assist the coaching team with strategies around who they are playing. The work done in that area by the AB coaching team is what won them this game.

It's looking up, rounding out. But we have set a glass ceiling.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
What's with that fvckin 2 wide passes, then an inside ball.

It's fucked and they dropped it every friggin time.

I was sitting behind the posts and could see it developing, and going 'ah fuck me, they're running this bludger of a play again'

If Mick Byrne's the skills coach, he needs to go immediately.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)

narratgif_zps7zva4las.gif

No definitive evidence that it happened off that footage.

I played in the front and I'm sure it probably did, but if I can't see it, there's no surprise that the commentators missed it.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Agree defense was better, but those misses by the inside backs one on one just kill us against the ABs.

Try 1 - KB (Kurtley Beale) straight miss
Try 2 - from the scrum, try is on the 6 but honerable mention to Genia for standing next to the tackle offering no help at all.
Try 3 - from a scrum again 6 cops their share but straight through Genia enroute
Try 4 - the intercept.
Try 5 - from a scrum just about every inside back missed their tackles on the way through two straight runs from the scrum.

If I was coming up with a game plan for the Wobs, it would be straight hard running directly at our 9, 10, 12.

And really target the scrum when they don't have too much help out there with them

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agree defense was better, but those misses by the inside backs one on one just kill us against the ABs.

Try 1 - KB (Kurtley Beale) straight miss
Try 2 - from the scrum, try is on the 6 but honerable mention to Genia for standing next to the tackle offering no help at all.
Try 3 - from a scrum again 6 cops their share but straight through Genia enroute
Try 4 - the intercept.
Try 5 - from a scrum just about every inside back missed their tackles on the way through two straight runs from the scrum.

If I was coming up with a game plan for the Wobs, it would be straight hard running directly at our 9, 10, 12.

And really target the scrum when they don't have too much help out there with them

I am glad Genia’s useless defence gets noticed occasionally. Whilst he is head and shoulders above other options in attack, I would not have him in my team because of his defence. It’s not even about being able to tackle, it’s the fact he just watches blokes run past him and shows no desperation to even attempt to bring them down. It is as if he just concedes that he won’t be able to stop the try so he just gives up.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Agree defense was better, but …
Everything before the ", but" is sugar.

But yes, Genia, Foley, Beale don't hold too many fears for hard runners.

Try 2 - who's the 6?
Try 3 - OZ #20 Dempsey crosses behind to the open side. He's done at that point - heheh - trailed by his oppo getting in the way as he attempts to go back. Good move, NZ, BTW. Simple yet well executed.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Everything before the ", but" is sugar.

But yes, Genia, Foley, Beale don't hold too many fears for hard runners.

Try 2 - who's the 6?
Try 3 - OZ #20 Dempsey crosses behind to the open side. He's done at that point - heheh - trailed by his oppo getting in the way as he attempts to go back. Good move, NZ, BTW. Simple yet well executed.
2 was Hanigan's limp effort after getting stuck on the scrum.
3 was indeed a nice planned move with the sneaky block in there.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I am glad Genia’s useless defence gets noticed occasionally. Whilst he is head and shoulders above other options in attack, I would not have him in my team because of his defence. It’s not even about being able to tackle, it’s the fact he just watches blokes run past him and shows no desperation to even attempt to bring them down. It is as if he just concedes that he won’t be able to stop the try so he just gives up.
Genia's covering defense has been diabolical at time. Have a look at the first half highlights of the Argie match (if you dare). I give him a little bit more credit than you do - I think he is positioned (by the game plan) wrong a lot of the time - he's too close to where the break is made so can't adjust when the attackers are through

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Genia's covering defense has been diabolical at time. Have a look at the first half highlights of the Argie match (if you dare). I give him a little bit more credit than you do - I think he is positioned (by the game plan) wrong a lot of the time - he's too close to where the break is made so can't adjust when the attackers are through

Genia sits on his heels too much in cover imo making him easy to stand up with some footwork. He needs to be shepherding the opposition towards the sideline more so he can cut down their options, often he tries to approach them square on which allows them to go left or right.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Genia sits on his heels too much in cover imo making him easy to stand up with some footwork. He needs to be shepherding the opposition towards the sideline more so he can cut down their options, often he tries to approach them square on which allows them to go left or right.

How old is that advice ("stay on the ball carrier's inside shoulder) yet still ignored.
My only question is if it's poor positioning by Genia or is he just following orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.