• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Saturday 19th August, ANZ Stadium Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
So what's wrong with Foley at 12. He runs straight and hard...he doesn't have the natural attacking vision needed at 10. He's constantly putting players under more pressure, as seen AGAIN tonight with quite a few blind passes to Arnhem Land..or doing nothing at all and just shifting the ball. He may as well be a 9. When Cheik tried Quade and Foley at 10 an 12 respectively last year..Foley looked at home...and we at least had a 10 with some attacking flair and natural game. Chuck Beale at 10 at least. It's not our attack that's the problem..it's our forwards that are often the bigger liability in my view. When our forwards shape up...our attack is often on fire!

But surely Folou being the best guy under the high ball in the world, has to be at 15..surely.

Ah maybe the problem is it doesn't fix the defensive issue of having weak defenders at 10 and 12. Also as others have said Beale has played maybe one or two games at 10 at senior level where he'd be regarded as achieving passable results. He is not a 10. He is an individualistic player generally not suited to the bulk of work and decision making a 10 needs to get through.

Then because Folau can catch a high ball he is the best at 15? You do realise that a 15, especially a test 15 needs to have better positional awareness in defence than Folau has shown for 5 years and a 15 at any level should be able to kick the ball in clearance. Folau is a one trick (ok two trick he can run with ball in hand and beat the first defender) pony.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Shiggins - Cyclo may need to warm up his ban hammer for me, but are you serious or are you just an idiot.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Horrible coaching 101. No accountability, No accepting of realities. You can't grow unless your acknowledge realities.

But this is the culture from the ARU chairman down. Why wouldn't the coach and the players buy into it. It's the corporate culture of the organisaton. Nothing, repeat nothing, will change until the whole structure of the game is reorganised. Rugby in Australia needs a purge of Stalinist proportions from the top down.

Kaz

Ted Fahey (11)
Nice scoreline in the Tom Decent article !
20961221_1307171572738023_414458764_o.jpg

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I dont think the result was a surprise, the only surprise for me was that we scored so many points.

There was no reason to expect the Wallabies to be able to compete, the entire Super Rugby season has shown that in every position New Zealand are better than us.

What annoyed me most was the number of times our team would jog rather than run.

Kerevi was caught out of position plenty of times and would just continue to jog towards where he was meant to be and then watch the All Blacks run in a try. I can accept he is not the best defender but expect him to at least look like he is trying to get to the tackle.

What we missed the most in the backs is a leader, someone who can control the team and direct them where to go. I have never thought of Falou, Beale or Kerevi as leaders, they may be leaders off the field but when is the last time they have been heard shouting to the man inside or outside to get in position?

I think K Hunt was really missed for this reason, he directs the team.

I wonder if Anthony Fainga'a has ever thought of defensive coaching? He understood how to get the line in order.
Agree kerevi was lazy and way off the pace.
Rona also has a bad miss early in second half.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
In the cold light of day and with the ethanol largely eliminated, it's still hard to believe how basic our errors were. Our outside guys really didn't trust the blokes inside them. And for good reason, because as time wore on, they weren't getting back in alignment at breakdowns.

This does actually seem to be a fitness issue. This is still largely the domain of the Super Franchises.

Stuff that I notice from nearly all of our tests: we actually run PAST their line in defence. So when there's a flat pass or the ball is dropped, we have no chance of cover defence.

But while our opponents manage to score from interecpts, dropped ball, etc., we make breaks but get caught in cover defence.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well that was interesting, I thought after the first half we were going lose by 100.

But we came back and one the second half convincingly.

I thought the pigs did pretty well, set piece was strong.

The backs looked like a group that hadn't played together and didn't trust eachother.

Guys like Speight makes great defensive decisions playing for the ponies, but not for the Wobs. I thought Rona looked very solid, strong running, good defense and soft hands. I also thought Hodge looked effective

We were all right that the Kerevi/Beale centre pairing didn't work, but Beale was the best Aus back by miles, so bye bye Kerevi, enjoy the pine and the NRC.
Rona played ok but had a bad miss in second half to let the blacks in.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
What generous desisions?
The all blacks scored most their trys off forward passes

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

At least there forward passes were marginal. Foley's was miles forward, then there was the scuffle with Folau/Kuridrani - come on mate that was a gift! Also the Barret/Foley grounding was also a gift - Barrett scored IMO.

Sure we were better in the second half, but IMO it's false hope. The All Blacks clearly took a step back - it's hard not too after 50+ unanswered points in the first half.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At least there forward passes were marginal. Foley's was miles forward, then there was the scuffle with Folau/Kuridrani - come on mate that was a gift! Also the Barret/Foley grounding was also a gift - Barrett scored IMO.

Sure we were better in the second half, but IMO it's false hope. The All Blacks clearly took a step back - it's hard not too after 50+ unanswered points in the first half.
The pass went comfortably backwards out of his hands.

I would have probably awarded the try to Barrett though. I agree we got lucky there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just re Kerevi.

A number of us in the Reds fora made the obvious point that Stiles' promotion of Kerevi to Reds Captain was a severe error or judgement (actually Stiles EOJ #379) that would (a) send this player entirely the wrong message re where he was in terms of personal skills and general development and (b) move his focus from personal improvement to the considerable anxieties of captaining a poor, struggling Super team.

One of the many resonances of Stiles foolishness is what we saw of Kerevi last night, namely a Wallaby player going backwards in terms of capability and confidence.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)

Foley's pass was backwards out of the hands.
Foley beat Barret to the ball definately
The All blacks score trys like the folau kurindrani thing all the time. They just through the ball and it comes off people's heads and they score. They are always having the bounce of the ball. It's like they worship the only real God and get rewarded for it

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Just re Kerevi.

A number of us in the Reds fora made the obvious point that Stiles' promotion of Kerevi to Reds Captain was a severe error or judgement (actually Stiles EOJ #379) that would (a) send this player entirely the wrong message re where he was in terms of personal skills and general development and (b) move his focus from personal improvement to the considerable anxieties of captaining a poor, struggling Super team.

One of the many resonances of Stiles foolishness is what we saw of Kerevi last night, namely a Wallaby player going backwards in terms of capability and confidence.

I feel bad for Kerevi, There is still so much potential there. but I haven't seen a lot of improvement the last 2 years.

If he can get his defence sorted, there is no reason he can't be a world class Centre at either 12 or 13.

Just imagine how good Kerevi would be if he had been in the All Blacks coaching systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.