• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Saturday 26th August at Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
how much consideration has been given to grassroots development as opposed to building from the top down?

There is no bottom up model in terms of revenue though.

The revenue will always be generated at the top and is the same in every sport.

We need to build the base and that is critically important but the reality is the dollars get earned at the top, and the elite end of the grassroots players want to become professional players and get professional opportunities, preferably here in Australia.

It's a difficult equation to balance and certainly we haven't got it right in the last few years with Super Rugby being bailed out to a substantial degree.

Lots of people ignore the fact though that the 5th Super Rugby team also gave us a greater share of the overall broadcast revenue though which includes money for Wallabies games (which is a much bigger sum than the Super Rugby portion of the deal).

If you weighed up the additional money spent bailing out the Super Rugby teams (in particular the Rebels) against the additional piece of the revenue pie we got at Super Rugby and test level, it would be much closer than people think.

I don't think there are any simplistic answers of where we go from here and what would create better results across the board for Australian rugby.

Certainly the ARU is culpable for so much that has gone wrong, particularly in the last two years and the structure of the game across the country with power vested in the State Unions (particularly NSWRU and QRU) and their desire to act in their own interests is a difficult proposition to fix.

I'm in no way convinced that a different group of board members at the ARU and different board members at the State Unions would come up with markedly different plans for how to manage everything.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bailing out Super Rugby franchises?
How much money has been spent on grassroots development?
how much consideration has been given to grassroots development as opposed to building from the top down?

His point was that a large amount of that money was there in the first place because of the Super Rugby broadcast deal etc...
So, if you're not in Super Rugby there is less money in the first place to waste or otherwise.
Of course, pissing away separate windfalls like RWC 2003 / BIL 2013 wasn't a great thing, and there were opportunities there, no doubt, to use that money to instigate structural change a while back, which never happened.
People will have to accept that a huge chunk of money will disappear if we walk away from Super Rugby, so any new competition structure will need a different revenue stream.
Broadcast opportunities are shrinking, FTA don't seem overly cashed up or interested, so it's a complex beast.

S

sidelineview

Complex indeed but the next 5-10-20 years is obviously an important consideration and there's no faith in the recent and current administration.

Anyway there's a game on tonight and it will be interesting to see if there's a marked improvement or not.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We don't have any product suitable for FTA apart from test rugby, which is special occasion broadcasting like the SOO.

The NRL and AFL can provide consistent content for specific time slots for specific blocks, they even put tests and city vs country in those slots to keep\leverage the habit.

All our comps are so random that a FTA channel couldn't create the habit watching they want; and lets face who but an absolute tragic would watch an Aus super rugby derby match and then look forward to another one the following week

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Here's the thing, chaps.

For us to have a viable national team, we have to have a second tier. That is currently in a competition over which we do not have total control, to put it mildly.

If we walk away from Super Rugby, there goes our second tier, unless we can replace it (and fund it) with another competition. How likely is that?

About as likely as the Wobbs winning tonight in Dunedin.

Yes, we need the grass roots, but frankly, if the grass roots does not want to pay for the game at the higher level, we won't have a game at the higher level.

We would be something like hockey in this country, I guess, although our national team would be far less competitive. Part-timers, paid peanuts, playing for the love of the game.

Admirable, but not sustainable.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Sorry, I have had to have a double take and still I feel I need to check to be sure; is this the game thread?

Its interesting to read the above and the attitudes seem the same across both the playing and on-field arrangements when it comes to Aussie rugby v Kiwi.

All we here from Aussie rugby and a lot of the rusted on is its all too hard. complex, not simple, BS, excuse, cop out; the list goes on.

So here the thing. In recent times the NZRU stepped in and put some strong governance around the Mitre 10 (NPC) as it was bleeding money. In 2016 every team either broke even or made a slight profit.

Whats happening to Aussie rugby is now is not new or unique. The idiocy, intellectual ineptitude in close association with the inherent bias is out of control.

AFL, netball, soccer. baseball, basketball; just some of the sport that have endured issue about sustainability. The key difference to Rugby right now; most were not in the middle of a broadcast deal worth hundreds of millions.

Anyway, can we get back to game defeatist talk and leave the administration related defeatist talk to the other forums please?

M

Moono75

was about to say similar. By the way my laundry is looking whiter than white. Thank you Omo Sensitive for powering through those built up stains.

Now back to the game......

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Anyway, can we get back to game defeatist talk and leave the administration related defeatist talk to the other forums please?
Fearless predictions:
Wallabies will leak fewer first half tries this time round,​
but still lose by at least a couple of scores.​

Brave calls, I know.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
BLEDISLOE PUNTER PREDICTIONS (AKA: getting game thread back on track)

Have a crack - winner get the fame but no fortune!

1. Will either Genia or Foley get charged down? If so who first?
  2. Will there be a knock-on by the Wallabies in the first 6 minutes?
  3. How many missed tackles will here be by half time?
  4. Will it be a game of 2 halves? If so what two words do you think will describe each half?
  5. Will the Wallabies lead at any point?
  6. Who will have the scrum advantage?
  7. Will Simmons line out calling improve the line-out?
  8. Name 3 players who will be the "passengers" this game (if any)
  9. Who will make the most impact from the bench?
  10. Will this game show that Beale would be better playing at 15?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm predicting a similar margin (20points) but both teams to score less points....more like a 30-10 sort of range.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
BLEDISLOE PUNTER PREDICTIONS (AKA: getting game thread back on track)

Have a crack - winner get the fame but no fortune!

1. Will either Genia or Foley get charged down? If so who first? - Simultaneously, Genia kicked charged down and rebounds toward Foley who tries to kick ONLY TO CHARGED DOWN BY THE AB'S FOLLOWING THROUGH
  2. Will there be a knock-on by the Wallabies in the first 6 minutes? - from the kick off
  3. How many missed tackles will here be by half time? too many
  4. Will it be a game of 2 halves? If so what two words do you think will describe each half? - yes, bad and worse
  5. Will the Wallabies lead at any point? - no
  6. Who will have the scrum advantage? - NZ
  7. Will Simmons line out calling improve the line-out? - no
  8. Name 3 players who will be the "passengers" this game (if any) - can i have a stab at three who won't ?
  9. Who will make the most impact from the bench? - the All Blacks
  10. Will this game show that Beale would be better playing at 15? - almost certainly

Reactions: mst

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Selected responses:

1. Genia kick charged
5. W Barnes in for J Garces. I'll punt on a Foley penalty to be 3-0 up
7. Lineout will be much the same - i.e. okay.
9. Rodda will fire-up off the bench
10 Yes, KB (Kurtley Beale) better as FB

Status
Not open for further replies.