• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Barbarians - 1/11/14 (Twickenham)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snotterbox

Frank Nicholson (4)
What does that mean?
For 20 minutes he is test standard?

No, the concept of the impact sub is slightly more complex than that. Skelton is a good example of an impact sub. You make sacrifices in terms of technique to achieve gains in terms of dynamics. A very big, rangy lock with offloading capabilities is one example of this. He makes a real difference in contact.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No, the concept of the impact sub is slightly more complex than that. Skelton is a good example of an impact sub. You make sacrifices in terms of technique to achieve gains in terms of dynamics. A very big, rangy lock with offloading capabilities is one example of this. He makes a real difference in contact.

I'll take that as a yes.
I invoke Rugby Rule #1: "what do the all blacks do"?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Listen to yourself. He's fucking Captaining the Wallabies. Wouldn't matter if he was running out against Kazakhstan's second 15.

It's a shit load more than any of us have done.

I assume you are talking about on a rugby field? Because otherwise it's a slap in the face to the doctors, teachers, police officers, defence personnel who may be on the board.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Just to play devils advocate, what if he is required to play significantly more game time due to coming on for an injured player? He needs to be able to satisfy this requirement.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Which is the best position for Henry Speight? Left winger or right winger?

I'm sure a Brumby supporter will know the answer

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Which is the best position for Henry Speight? Left winger or right winger?

I'm sure a Brumby supporter will know the answer

Right wing.

He commands that 5m inside the right touchline.........

I would lock him into that that spot, and whoever else gets picked for a wing spot goes straight onto the left wing.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
for all that say Speight is the "saviour' I hope you sre right. Poor bastard has so much pressure on him ATM. If he scores tries then champion etc etc but if he doesn;t go as well then blokes will be running for cover - people will say he's a great Super 15 player but chokes at the top end. Maybe a bit like Moggy.

I just hope he goes well. It is a good game for him to start.

My money is on the bloke to have a beauty.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm actually worried Speight is coming in too soon from injury. His assets are his speed, footwork, power, agility - all heavily effected by a hamstring injury.

Hope I'm wrong.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Coming off a hamstring injury I don't want to expect too much from him too soon..........

He's been far and away the form winger in Australia for 3 years now....... in fact, his Super rugby form has been every bit as good as Folau's, and it's safe to say he would've been given a start back in 2012 if eligible.

So there's certainly a lot of expectations, but I think every Wallaby fan will be hoping he can bring it to the Wallabies, because the likes of Speight, Folau and Kuridrani firing in the backline might just make us all forget all the other bullshit going on with this team..........

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Cheika knows what he likes, and he likes a hard-nosed fluffybunny. He's probably trying to talk Hodgson into playing for the Tahs ;)

Better than Ben Fucking Alexander in one of the drills - he was running at shoulder height which is asking ANY northern hemisphere forward pack to strip or maul. FFS!

Fuck yeah! Not enough people have been crowing about Quade's return in my book.

Been ages since he single-handedly won RWC2011, the five consecutive Bledisloes of course, the tour with Phantom of the Opera and I'm not about to forget winning Laureus Sportsman AND Sportswoman of the Year! That was after his Nobel Prize for Physics but before he'll undoubtedly cure Ebola and Cancer with the same synthetic compound derived from his own ball sweat.

For fuck's fucking sake some of you lot carry on.

Now he'll carve up against the Baabaas and you'll go all fucking Santa Claus over it, claiming that he was the answer all along.

This bullshit about "game breaker" ignores completely what Foley has achieved since his Test debut LAST FUCKING YEAR.

Pfitzy, you're confusing Cooper with Chuck Norris again, time to take your memory pills.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
at last --- some real sense.
thank you, Mr Pfitzy.

the Wallabies will suffer in the locking department for some time yet.
i think their best long-term prospects are Neville, Coleman and Staniforth.

meantime, they will have to rely on what they have got, which ain't much.
i hold out little hope for Simmons, Carter and Horwill although TGC may be able to revive the last-named.

Skelton is half a chance to make it, if well managed.
i wish the parrots with their "unfit for test rugby" would just STFU.
there is a very good reason Skelton usually plays 40-45 minutes for the Tahs and it has nought to do with his fitness - it is all about best use of the squad by a master coach.
the parrots don't seem even to notice that sometimes Skelton plays the first half and sometimes the second half and that he shares his job with Douglas some times and JacPot at other times.

rather profligate to allow Sitaleki Timani, Kane Douglas and Jake Ball to wander off, wasn't it?

OK, that's it.

What the fuck, exactly is wrong with out current set of locks?

(this is aimed at everyone btw)

In Simmons, we have a good lineout caller, a very good tackle, who pushes his arse off in the scrums and smashes rucks. He might have shit for brains, but, well, he's a second row.

Carter is a big, hard, tight working lock. He makes a shitload of tackles each game, is one of the best we have at smashing rucks and clearing the ball, he runs well (a little high sometimes but there have been plenty of runs this year where he's smashed his would be tackler and started pumping his legs and gained 10-15metres. Yes, against the ABs), is a good lineout option and does well in the scrums. MOM in his debut (with a fucked ankle = mentally tough), 23 tackles @ 100% against the Boks in CT)

Horwill: known quantity trying to regain his former aggression and form.

I'm struggling to think of a game that we could blame our locks for losing? Simmons and Carter have actually turned into quite a good unit, for a pair that are about 6 games into their partnership. Our scrum has been very good this year, our lineout as good as you'd expect it to be after losing Moore,

People: to build a team, you pick your best options from Super rugby (which we've done), and then you play them. If they aren't very good at a certain thing, you don't just shitcan them, you work on it with them. You let them get more than half a dozen caps before discarding them, because it takes 10-15 caps before you mentally feel like you belong. How many games have Whitelock and Retallick played together? Do you think either of them haven't had a bad game from now and then?

We are not getting above 2/3 in the world for a reason: Every week, our team is different. We are atm, a 'team of champions', not 'a champion team', and that is the difference. We have enough raw talent in the 23 to be 3rd in the world without really gelling as a team. Imagine what we could do if a clearly defined 23 actually gets the chance to build as a team!?

Cheika took 18 months to beat the Tards into shape, playing virtually the same 23. It takes time!

Saying that one lock, who wasn't good enough to be selected over the current test lock, at a LOWER GRADE, is suddenyl going to be better than that lock at a HIGHER grade, is just fucken retarded.

As things stand, our starting pack is this for the world cup. If Pocock/Moore or other injured players regain their position with form, then we're all the better for it, but right now this is it:

Slipper
Fainga'a
Kepu
Carter
Simmons
Fardy
Hooper
McCalman/Higgers (it's not clear who's ahead at this stage).

Yes, Pocock, Moore, Palu, Taf etc would improve it, but this is our pack. They need to get gametime together, as an 8, and gel as a unit.

Cadyrn Neville ffs...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's a good looking lineup with Cheika not afraid to rest this seasons tried and true performers.
Looking forward to seeing what Genia and Cooper can do. I would guess they will be our number one halves combination if fit when we get around to the RWC. Also very excited to see Henry Speight finally get his chance at this level. He, Folau and Kuridrani all working together out wide should be interesting.
And lastly the back row looks balanced. Hodgson is an out an out on the baller who can tackle till the cows come home. McCalman also plays in the tight mainly as a 3rd lock and has a high workrate which gives Higgers some license to play a little wider.
Go the Wobs!!

Could not agree more. My one concern is that Henry is completely over his hammy problems and is properly fit to go. Those two things given, he will almost certainly move into the starting squad for the upcoming tests. But I do not want to see him limping off after about 20 minutes or so.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
for all that say Speight is the "saviour' I hope you sre right. Poor bastard has so much pressure on him ATM. If he scores tries then champion etc etc but if he doesn;t go as well then blokes will be running for cover - people will say he's a great Super 15 player but chokes at the top end. Maybe a bit like Moggy.

I just hope he goes well. It is a good game for him to start.

My money is on the bloke to have a beauty.

His performance here will very much depend on the condition of his hammy. If he is truly over it, and approaching full fitness, which itself must be a bit in doubt, he will cement his spot at 14. His defense is never off as it often can be with Moggy. No worries there for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.