• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England in Melbourne, 18 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
There was the usual lack of effort of the support runners to do anything but shovel it wider.

While it may have been the game plan to move the Poms around, without the guys running inside lines and different angles, the response is drift and tackle.

We missed that other creative unit like Beale, who has pace and guile to support Foley. To create threat and doubt. At various times Foley (and Kerevi) took on the line well but the next phase was just more pass the parcel (there were no support runners looking to leverage the half break)

The best example of how it should be done was in one of the NZ super derbies this year, 15 odd phases in and a lock makes the effort to run an inside line so a prop has an inside and outside running option (and the lock scores)

Same as the kicks, a good chase changes our impression of any kick, no chaser, it is a lobbed return of serve.

Too often there is no chaser, just units rearranging to receive the ball again, but only the guys already there, none of the rest are working hard back to give any option to out ball receiver to spread the ball on counter

This maybe a simple explanation for any dad who has young boy who has lego.

• We looked like a 2 year old with lego - play with it but no idea what to build with it.
  • A 5 year old boy starts building things and playing with ideas.
  • Then you get dads who have NFI and have to get the instructions out to build these fantastic contraptions that last a week or 2 and can never be built again.
Need game plans, and building phases in support, try building a lego tower with interlinking supports, it will fall over.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Considering the amount of possession the Wobs had, it's a shame that they didn't convert enough of it into points.

IMO Joubert has bottled it since RWC 2015.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Scrubber.. you have left me with a bittersweet feeling. Poor McMahon could not beat Poey's run metres. The weak weak little back-rower he is.

McMahon 13 Metres.
Pocock 19 Metres.

Care for some humble pie?

How did you come to those stats? McMahon single-handedly made 15 metres on one particular run that I remember. Or is this their max distance for a single carry?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
How did you come to those stats? McMahon single-handedly made 15 metres on one particular run that I remember. Or is this their max distance for a single carry?

I think your referring to the one just after kick-off where he made about 8 metres. He did not make anywhere near 15m in a single carry.

I copied them from this post:

McMahon ran for 13 metres this week. Poey ran...........................................................................for 19

They are on ESPNscrum apparently.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
ESPN Scrum gives him 11 carries for 14m.

FoxSports always seems to blow out run m.
I have no idea which stats are regarded as more accurate but I noticed these from ESPN Scrum -

Kepu: 5 runs, 0 metres, 1 defender beaten
Phipps: 6 runs, 0 metres, 1 defender beaten

Foxsports has Kepu with 4 runs/11m and Phipps with 4 runs/3m

I didn't compare any others, just that the 0m with a defender beaten stuck out as odd to me.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I have no idea which stats are regarded as more accurate but I noticed these from ESPN Scrum -

I didn't compare any others, just that the 0m with a defender beaten stuck out as odd to me.

Phipps probably beat his defender by running backwards from a ruck at a rate of knots before passing it over his head (as well of the head of the intended receiver)
Kepu is a bit harder to comprehend.

Edit: reality is they probably made ground in some and lost in others with a net gain of zip..

proton897

Frank Row (1)
I wonder what Martin Johnson is saying now. Didn't he say something along the lines of "England have not achieved anything until they have won against one of the Southern powers"?

Eddie Jones' record still 100%.

Dont think Australia is a per power not by that performance. Would have been a different story had it been at the end of our season and we had strung a few performances together to gel as a team after a long break. The poms had good strctures that you would expect over the time they were together plus they only really have 1 way to go from their poor effort home performace in the world cup LOL their is no place lower. Cheika will find it hard to get the bys up for this one and it is a 'dead rubber' should look to blood some up and comers although not much depth for the championship coming up instead. He has to remember it isnt about him its about the team.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I believe the run metres begin once a player is over the advantage line.

So it would indicate a defender is beaten behind the advantage line. It does make sense given the line speed of England.

Or they may have made ground in some runs and lost ground in others.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think that's the case is it? It's why fullbacks always have such big numbers

Yeah I think your right. Maybe they take into account kick returns and the advantage line begins where they catch the ball.

But that's probably an over-complicated system.

The case of negative numbers must only come from players getting pushed back in the tackle and losing ground.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
More nervous about this game then last weeks. I can't believe how quickly I have crashed back to earth after the World Cup. I am one loss away before I start the blame coach thing. ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
More nervous about this game then last weeks. I can't believe how quickly I have crashed back to earth after the World Cup. I am one loss away before I start the blame coach thing. ;)
You probably don't want to know we lost then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.