• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England, Sat 11th June, 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
that was his starting debut.

His test debut was that shocking match v Italy where Quade (also on debut) scored the winner with some brilliant skill.

Can't recall JOC (James O'Connor)'s involvement, but it was off the bench

We all remember Quade's haircut.

JOC (James O'Connor)'s problem was that he didn't have the worst haircut in the team. He didn't make that mistake often.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Whilst there will be an upside surely the greatest risk with this team is that 20% of its starters have never played a Test, let alone one of this concentrated pressure and expectation.

I agree that this is a pretty high risk selection. On the other hand, Chubby didn't have a lot of alternatives.

The centre pairing really worries me.

BTW if you want an example of a very inauspicious debut, how about Pat Howard?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
that was his starting debut.

His test debut was that shocking match v Italy where Quade (also on debut) scored the winner with some brilliant skill.

Can't recall JOC (James O'Connor)'s involvement, but it was off the bench

By my reckoning, RH was probably talking about starting debuts. Three debutants in the first 15 equals 20%.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I thought JOC (James O'Connor)'s three-try debut was pretty exceptional.

Against a poor italy team. I think that was from the bench too. His first start against the All Blacks at fullback was a complete shocker.

Folau had the greatest debut against the B&I Lions. That was a bloody great test from him even though we lost.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Against a poor italy team. I think that was from the bench too. His first start against the All Blacks at fullback was a complete shocker.

Folau had the greatest debut against the B&I Lions. That was a bloody great test from him even though we lost.

nah, he started at fullback in his 2nd test (1st start) v Italy and scored the 3 tries. His test at fullback v NZ was his 7th test and we lost by 1 point.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
nah, he started at fullback in his 2nd test (1st start) v Italy and scored the 3 tries. His test at fullback v NZ was his 7th test and we lost by 1 point.

I don't care what the scoreboard was, i still remember it being a shocker from him. Poor passes and Cory Jane exposing him easily at the back with high balls. I think it took some time for JOC (James O'Connor) to recover confidence after this game.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Looks like a good team.

Holmes and Arnold deserved their spots in the tight five, and the backrow picked itself.

Am not sure why Horne was chosen as vice-captain instead of Hooper, but it may signal that McMahon will come on early for Hoops.

Well-done to DHP for getting the chance many have argued for, but his 2016 form could not be denied. He will be handy at the back when Folau goes up.

I haven't seen the England team as I write this but Watson and Yarde can shift on the wing, Nowell is fast-steppy and fullback Brown is no slouch either.

E. Jones would have been planning for lack of Aussie pace on the wings since the injuries to Speight and Tomane, knowing that Horne is not test winger-fast—and now that DHP is starting, Jones will be licking his lips.

Beware of the kick-pass - and the outside break, because the Poms are fast enough to take it.

Am surprised about Kerevi starting at 12, but if he was in the 23 he would probably have to start because of having just two backs on the bench.

I expected Hunt or Leali'ifano there (and would have preferred to see Kerevi make his debut only against a lesser team than England)—but it is what it is and I'm excited to see how he goes, and how his combination with Kuridrani works.

The bench looks strong with the obvious proviso that Frisby is a rookie.

Some would question the selection of Mumm, but every team needs some madness in it, provided it is channelled right.

But if he jumps on top of another maul I'd sack him for good.

My big concerns are deficiencies at the lineout and of the kicking game - or rather: the kick and chase game.

We suck at that.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
One way to look at this Test:

BIL 1 Suncorp June 2013

- We have a far better national coach now than then and derivatively a far better team bond and spirit

- Then we played against the NH might (yeah, right) of many rugby nations combined, the best of their best

- Apparently there were 3 debutants running on for the Wallabies that night (one being IF, yes?)

- Beale wears moulded boots on a slippery track, misses the final, crucial kick

- We just lose by a fraction

Wallabies v England Test 1 Suncorp June 2016

- Given all above, we should definitely win

T

Tip

Unfortunately Kuridrani has been the K-train for a few years. To me anyway

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks like a good team.

etc etc

I can't complain with any of the selections and yes lack of genuine speedster is a weakness we can't fill - that Fijian Rebels seeking to sign from the Storm would help here.

DHP fully deserves his chance as does Arnold. Was surprised with Kerevi making the starting position as still a 'little' raw for me in someways but his ability and power game is unquestionable. And for that I like Cheika's adventure.

Mumm had a very good world cup and been ok for waratahs and his versatility no doubt helped get him a starting berth. Also glad to see Horwill back (as always liked him for what he has offered) and willingness to select players like him that fall in the Giteau rule category being selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.