• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England, Sat 11th June, 8.00pm, Suncorp Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm picking a big year from McMahon.

The guy has been in the set-up for a couple years now with a few solid games under his belt. Can't argue the guy doesn't play with heart - one of the hardest workers in the team. I think he will be hitting his straps at Test level soon as his body naturally gets stronger and he becomes even stronger in contact.

If he gets any stronger in contact, it could amount to manslaughter.:)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
looking at the bench - I think the plan is to sub off the entire tight 5, Hooper & Fardy play 80, and McMahon comes on for Poey. Succession planning.

On the money I believe. Kev would be the sub for Simmons and take on the key lineout calling role. Rory can't be expected to play 80 minutes in the hard man role he's been allocated. Mumm on for Rory probably with 20 minutes to go. In normal circumstances, Fardy and Hooper will play the full 80 minutes so McMahon to sub for Poey at some stage. Injuries could mess up the plan obviously.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah if the centres get an offload game going, cue the Izzy mayhem. That bloke runs the most immaculate supporting lines you've ever seen.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's great that we are this excited about Kerevi, who in reality is our 5th string 12.

Speaks volumes about our backline depth, because to me he's behind Giteau, Beale, To'omua and Lilo.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's unfortunate for Lilo, who was essentially penciled in for 12 but wasn't able to train with the squad, and has now given Kerevi first crack at keeping the jersey with To'omua and Beale heading overseas........

LRB

Stan Wickham (3)
I just spotted Eddie Jones at a cafe next to my work, so I toddled down to strike up a brief conversation about the test tomorrow night. Key take away was that if the English team is ahead within the first 5 - 10 minutes, he is confident that they will be able to capitalise on the early momentum. The body language within the team, was positive, in short they are definitely up for the game.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I think Mcmahon will get significant game time.

I believe he will ultimately surpass both Pocock and Hooper. His game is extremely well rounded and balanced compared to the two in front of him who have been the best in the world in defense and attack for 7s respectively. I think Cheika has seen this in McMahon since his early days.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think you sell him short Pfitzy. There is a lot more to his game than that. I can see Folau just shadowing him all night.

I'm not writing him off by any means. I wish him every success.

BUT that is the role he's most likely to be used in with the ball: gain line power off set piece, or decoy for Foley to hit the outside backs (including Folau). It is an obvious tactic, and given the lack of dynamism in that Pommy back row, will probably work quite well if we get enough clean ball.

In terms of defense, I have natural concerns. He can hit hard enough, but he's about to play a level of rugby above what he is accustomed to, with more pace, decisions, and lateral movement required. He's a big boy but England are bringing pace.

He has had one game of footy in the last 6 or so weeks, and while he's obviously been training the house down, I'm not placing undue expectation on him.

It is exciting to see new talent coming through, and its clear that Cheika is widening his search for the best players. Its bloody refreshing in fact that we're now prepared to give people chances within the framework of experience - something that hasn't happened outside necessity the last decade.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If he gets any stronger in contact, it could amount to manslaughter.:)

I disagree here. This is one area I think he consistently is over-rated.

I think their is a big difference with intensity-into-contact and strength-into-contact.

He hands down has the most intensity. Seems to consistently play up a weight with every contact. If he goes into contact with a player the same weight he will win 99% of the time. As seen with his superb efforts against the Barbarians and USA.

But intensity can only do so much when you come up against strong players like a Boks tight five or an All Black back row. This can be noted in games like England when his running game was diminished against stronger opposition.

Once his body catches up to his mind he will be unstoppable.

Why can't the likes of Timani or Palu have his intensity!!!

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
But it just seems a little crazy trying to squeeze him into a 23 with Hooper and Pocock. He will not let anyone down but I can't help thinking a more traditional 8 would be the ticket to balance out the bench. He is not really an on the baller but more of a up the middle runner who tackles like a madman and really gets stuck in. It will be a big test for him on Saturday against a big robust English pack.

Fair to say we've been lacking a bruiser line bending 8 that can jump for a while - maybe a Palu in his heyday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's unfortunate for Lilo, who was essentially penciled in for 12 but wasn't able to train with the squad, and has now given Kerevi first crack at keeping the jersey with To'omua and Beale heading overseas....

I think it's also a bit of a Kerevi V Kuridrani test for the 13 jersey.

As i think ultimately Cheika will go back to the two play-making 10/12 backline in future tests - well depending how this test goes.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Kuridrani has a slow game and Kerevi a dangerous one to see this line-up next test:
10 Foley 12. Lilo 13. Kerevi.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Kerevi's our Fekitoa, but 10kg bigger.

No one I think has mentioned it, but what are his hands like - or won't that matter if he's crash n bash / decoy? Lilo to come on if 2nd playmaker req'd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
barbarian - if Beale and To'omua are fit does Kerevi make the squad let alone the 23? An interesting one to consider.

To'omua's form this season has been poor. I'm a fan of his confrontational style and add to that he has the skills of a quality 1st 5. Beale was the form back of all Australian super rugby sides prior to his injury IMO. He was showing genuine improvement on both sides of the ball.

If past selections are any guide To'omua starts and Beale comes from the bench covering 12 and 15.

Kerevi gets his shot and good luck to him. He's shown some nice touches and has a good direct game. His hands have been a concern at times for the Reds, but nothing that can't be worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.