• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Fiji, 3pm Sat 10th June, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Great ticket sales.

It's good to see Wallaby supporters going to a match that is a guaranteed win.

I'm sure they won't be disappointed in a hard fought test match against one of the leading test nations. It will be a gripping contest that will no doubt increase our viewing television public.

I'm for more tests against Georgia, Mexico, Samoa, USA and say Canada to further build our winning stats:)

Given we play NZ, SA and Arg later in the year, France are in SA, and that there is a Lions series on, who would you propose that we play against during the June series?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I note than Slim's mate in the Oz this morning is specking that the wingers for this game will be Speight and Koroibete

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
well, i live in Melbourne, about a km from the venue and i may not even bother to watch on TV, let alone go. this years events have really taken the pleasure out of watching rugby for me.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I note than Slim's mate in the Oz this morning is specking that the wingers for this game will be Speight and Koroibete

Not a good balance for mine.........

I would favour two wing/fullbacks in the back 3 in the form of Folau/DHP or Folau/Hunt, with Speight on one wing..........

It is a Melbourne game so wouldn't be surprised if they choose to cater to the locals and throw in Korobeite somewhere..........

But to be fair to old mate over at the Oz........ he's quoting McGahan, and I can't agree that Korobeite has done much to earn a spot in the 23:

Melbourne Rebels coach Tony McGahan believes the Wallabies have found their wing pairing, with code-hopping Marika Koroibete having emerged as a dynamic partner to Australia’s foremost winger, Henry Speight.

Speight, who was at the forefront of the Brumbies side that took their opportunities against the Rebels on Saturday night in Canberra, looks to have a lock on the right-wing spot in the opening Wallabies Test of 2017, against Fiji in Melbourne next weekend. But on his performance against them for the Rebels, it may be that Koroibete has staked a place for selection on the left flank in his debut season of Super Rugby since switching from the Melbourne Storm.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Had a bit of a squiz and seems to be approx. 250-500 tickets left.

Although that doesn't include sections that will be closed off..

(and something else: platinum tickets for Wallabies v Italy start from $36)

Gee I just looked and there's large numbers of GA, Gold and Plat seats available just this morning and it looks as though quite a bit of the stadium is not being marketed for sale (but I could be wrong re that). GA is a big part of the overall seat plan for the match and in almost all bays there's a lot of availability.

Let's hope Torp that your calc is right.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Given we play NZ, SA and Arg later in the year, France are in SA, and that there is a Lions series on, who would you propose that we play against during the June series?

Given that theres no one we can play, I'm quite looking forward to Fiji, Scotland and Italy.

It's essentially two pre-season trials (Fiji and Italy) and a tough encounter against an improving Scots side.

I personally think that'll prep us better to face the ABs come the Rugby Championship than a 3-0 loss to the English.

There's also a ton of Pacific Islander / Scottish expats (not sure about Italy?) in Australia so it makes sense to host those teams, if only from a financial point of view.

well, i live in Melbourne, about a km from the venue and i may not even bother to watch on TV, let alone go. this years events have really taken the pleasure out of watching rugby for me.

Come on mate. Atleast watch it on TV. Leave the Super season and the ARU nonsense behind and get behind the Wallabies.

The games should be fantastic as we'll field a whole bunch of new players (exciting) and they should be relatively high scoring (exciting x2) with relatively little on the line.

I'm personally very excited for it.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Great ticket sales.

It's good to see Wallaby supporters going to a match that is a guaranteed win.

I'm sure they won't be disappointed in a hard fought test match against one of the leading test nations. It will be a gripping contest that will no doubt increase our viewing television public.

I'm for more tests against Georgia, Mexico, Samoa, USA and say Canada to further build our winning stats:)

S2050 - You failed to additionally mention that M Cheika has pronounced these 3 June Tests (and the next 2 after) as an 'Everest' for the 2017 Wallabies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
RH
I always try to be optimistic. I think we will win 2 of 3 mid year tests (if not 3/3) but the RC may prove that Everest is a hard climb.

And wasn't the first bloke to scale the dizzy heights another Kiwi:)

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
There's also a ton of Pacific Islander / Scottish expats (not sure about Italy?) in Australia so it makes sense to host those teams, if only from a financial point of view.

Come on mate. Atleast watch it on TV. Leave the Super season and the ARU nonsense behind and get behind the Wallabies.

The games should be fantastic as we'll field a whole bunch of new players (exciting) and they should be relatively high scoring (exciting x2) with relatively little on the line.

I'm personally very excited for it.

an absolute shed load of (Australo-)Italians in Australia

execution hasn't been a strong point from Aussie rugby players this year so far

as for being excited, nah, not really, but i will probably watch, or even sneak in after halftime. might go and watch the Wobs train though.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That's certainly an understatement....

I don't think Michael has heard of Carlton.

I'm a young Sydney man myself so have very little Melbourne experience.

I knew Melbourne had quite a strong Italian presence but the Fiji game is there.

Sydney does as well in Haberfield / Leichhardt but its not quite as strong as as the Fijian / Scottish community probably is.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's all good........

Italians are one of the largest immigrant groups in the country behind the Poms, Kiwis and Chinese.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
actually the Australia v Italy game in late 80's ? at the old Olympic Park, in Melbourne was a fantastic match and atmosphere, Campo scored a dubious try at the end to seal a win for the Wallabies, no TMO in those days but from my memory he slid along the ground, in the rain and well into touch !
Edit: 1994, Aus 20 v Italy 7, first teat at Ballymore Aus 23 Italy 20

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
actually the Australia v Italy game in late 80's ? at the old Olympic Park, in Melbourne was a fantastic match and atmosphere, Campo scored a dubious try at the end to seal a win for the Wallabies, no TMO in those days but from my memory he slid along the ground, in the rain and well into touch !
Edit: 1994, Aus 20 v Italy 7, first teat at Ballymore Aus 23 Italy 20

I remember that 94 test match at Olympic Park quite well. I had a free ticket but because of the weather decided against going and went and watched it indoors :)

I remember the new 1st 5 for the Wallabies, Wallace, who played the first test kicking quite well despite the conditions. But I don't think he was ever cited again in a Wallabies jersey after that Italy series.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
^^^^^^ Tim Wallace his only two tests. Lynagh must have been injured because he played before, then Knox played a couple then Lynagh again for the RWC 1995

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep. Noddy played the first one at Ballymore but got injured and Wallace came on. He then started the next test in Melbourne.

Knox played those amazing two last games that year. The 70 pnt thrashing of Samoa with some incredible rugby and then the "Gregan tackle' game which started with a Knox kick off, a Link scavenge, a Knox bomb and a Little try within 20 seconds!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yes i was there at the SFS, the Gregan tackle happened right in the corner i was sitting in. i remember well Knox remonstrating with whoever was captain at the time to NOT to take the kick at goal, biut to kick for touch and soak up more time, he was well aware of the possibility that the AB's could still win the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.