• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France 3rd Test - 21 June Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Very good looking Wallabies 23; certainly no WTF selections from a bygone era.

Still have that nagging feeling at the back of my end that we should bring Dan Palmer back from France to fix our current scrummaging woes. Can the ARU stump up the 1mil p.a. top-up to make it happen?

Why bother? He hasn't played near a full season in the last 5 years.

The chances that he could play well enough in the S15 and then stay healthy for the following tests is just highly unlikely

edit, and one day I will read more of a thread and get the context :oops:

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
You red card the other guy for trying to headbutt Chuck's foot during a roundhouse kick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Word has it that the ARU have traded Folau, Cooper, and Hooper for Chuck Norris; and that the All Blacks with their squad of 23 players, refuse to play the Wallabies 13 man team, even though the ARU offered that the AB's can have all 23 players on the field at once

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hmmm brings up an interesting point, not that Skelton was ever going to play for someone else but if he suddenly chose to play for Samoa what would that mean for the Tahs? Seeing as him and Potgieter are contracted for next season would the Tahs be forced to release one or not?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
While it may not be completely analogous, both Eddie Aholelei (Tonga) and Alex Rokobaro (Fiji) debuted for their respective international sides last year, and have continued playing for the Rebels on their previous deals. Don't think they'll be allowed to resign them anyway, whether we would have wanted to or not.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But you're allowed international players now. Tahs still only allowed 1. I guess they'd see out their current contracts and not allowed to be re-signed.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
2 "Marquee" internationals, I think 5 development internationals and a Japanese player.

Ellison and Shota were the first two. Male Sau is the Japanese boy. And the development spots are for guys like Fuglistaller and Woodward, and Speight, who can represent the Wallabies in the future.

While it was when we had bigger concessions, the same thing happened with Adam Byrnes after he represented Russia in the World Cup.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But you're allowed international players now. Tahs still only allowed 1. I guess they'd see out they current contracts and not allowed to be re-signed.

Tahs, Reds and Brumbies are allowed one foreign marquee player and one foreign development player I believe.

The foreign development player can't be capped elsewhere because I believe the intention is that if they hang around long enough they should become Wallaby eligible.

Reactions: BDA

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes I know that I was saying when a team already has an marquee player and then a player that has dual eligibility decides to shun Australia and get capped elsewhere what would happen if both were contracted beyond that year seeing as they'd have 2 marquees.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Unless it is expressly written into someone's contract that if they play for another country the remaining years of their contract are voided I'd guess they could see out their contract.

I'd imagine an employment contract would outweigh a rule from the ARU. They wouldn't be able to re-sign without special dispensation though.

That's my guess anyway.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think that that would be the ruling. The player would fulfil the contract without issue, but to sign a new one would require them to move into the foreign marquee slot.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I just looked up and the record for a union test is 43k v Wales a couple of years ago....they should push that. I'll be there to help out!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Hmmm brings up an interesting point, not that Skelton was ever going to play for someone else but if he suddenly chose to play for Samoa what would that mean for the Tahs? Seeing as him and Potgieter are contracted for next season would the Tahs be forced to release one or not?
It's only an ARU rule. Pretty sure it has been discussed before regarding another similar situation and the noises out of the ARU were if both were previously contracted they would let it ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.