• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France 3rd Test - 21 June Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Would imagine the same team with possibly Skelton coming in for Jones or Horwill. Unless Palu is fit.

Maybe Genia in for Phipps and Sio for Cowan.

T

TOCC

I get link might be trying to build depth at halfback, but i completely expect Genia to come into the match day 22 to replace Phipps next week or at least in the Rugby Championship. Having Genia's experience to close out matches like tonight would be an enormous benefit over someone like Phipps.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Hopefully a game somewhere in the middle of the two we have seen i.e. a normal game of rugby.

Link was lauded for his ability with the Reds to vary the game plan. Be interesting to see if he can get one over PSA next week. PSA had the advantage this week with the major personnel changes, but this week it will be a real indication of where the Wallabies are at.

I'm betting we see little to no changes in the 23 unless injury forced or Palu's fit. If we get out to a lead he might throw the new guys in for 30 minutes, but he's not going to be messing with a winning combo now.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Series won, but ABs around the corner.

Same team, pending injury report. Maybe Palu back in at the expense of higgers.

More minutes for the new caps to see if they have what it takes.

Not really fussed about the result from here, as long as we learn something

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Link shouldn't tinker with the backline. Barring injury I would expect this is the same backline That will start vs the ABs in Bled 1.

Hooper, Simmons, Fardy, TPN, Kepu, Slipper are certainties so they also need the continued game time together.

The lock and no8 will depend on fitness of certain players.

I thought McCalman played a good blue collar type game tonight, but I think his real value is as an impact player.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree the backline shouldn't change, but we need more from it. The few times we got front foot ball we squandered it. Sometimes we were getting over the gain line but suddenly our only option was To'omua sitting back in the pocket for a kick.

Actually, I would like Foley and/or To'omua to provide more options at first receiver. At times I couldn't find them. Regarding To'omua, apart from his defence I thought that was one of the poorer games I've seen him play in Wallaby colours, and so I expect a huge bounce back next week. Beale seemed to get it more when he wanted it, but then he crabbed a little for my liking, but did at least follow the ball and look for a second touch. Through our midfield this week it seemed like we struggled to find space and lines, so instead we shuffled the ball on or kicked after running out of room after going around the corner across the field.

It felt like it was hard to get any flow when there is so much kicking.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Agree the backline shouldn't change, but we need more from it. The few times we got front foot ball we squandered it. Sometimes we were getting over the gain line but suddenly our only option was To'omua sitting back in the pocket for a kick.

Actually, I would like Foley and/or To'omua to provide more options at first receiver. At times I couldn't find them. Regarding To'omua, apart from his defence I thought that was one of the poorer games I've seen him play in Wallaby colours, and so I expect a huge bounce back next week. Beale seemed to get it more when he wanted it, but then he crabbed a little for my liking, but did at least follow the ball and look for a second touch. Through our midfield this week it seemed like we struggled to find space and lines, so instead we shuffled the ball on or kicked after running out of room after going around the corner across the field.

It felt like it was hard to get any flow when there is so much kicking.
I think Foley some times struggles with a dominant 10 playing 12 outside him.. When Foley is at his best his demanding it more.. Usually To'omua isn't so demanding picks his times.. Obviously Beale does at the Tahs but Foley is better at pushing him out..

But read rugby heavens article unsung heros To'omua and Kirindrani.. Basically To'omua and Jim McKay talked this exact game plan..That they need to play this way as a change up...

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I guess for the next one there are two schools of thought. One is to stick (mostly) with what we've got and build combinations, continue to learn what Link wants and a create real sense of team. Option two is, given we've won the series and got RC & WC coming up, try some things and some players we might need later due to injury etc.

Both have merit, and without advocating either one, lets look at what we could do if we wanted to experiment. Firstly, Kepu has clearly established himself as our best scrummaging THP, but we are still looking for a back-up. Lets get Kepu off early next week, and give Weekes 30-40 minutes, BUT with TPN and Slipper still there, it's hard to get a fair assessment with a new front row.

Next, with Palu gone we are really lacking an impact forward, a line-bender. I thought McCalman and Fardy both played well, but neither are big impact runners, and nor is Horwill any more. Let's start Skelton with Simmons, having McCalman & Fardy still gives us plenty of line-out options. Then, get him off and give Jones 30-40 minutes. Horwill can come in his suit.

In the backs, Foley is not a natural 10. He has, over 2 seasons, developed into a very good 10 for the Tahs, learning Cheika's game plan and getting accustomed to the players around him. However, under a new coach, a new game plan and different players around him, he is conservative and not offering a lot to those around him, unlike a natural 10 like Ella, Larkham or Cooper. Also, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a wasted resource on the wing, we hardly saw him in the 1st half. Kuridrani is good, but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is better. So for a radical experiment, what about a backline of White, To'omua to 10, Beale in at 12, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 13, Cummins and either McCabe or Horne on the wings and Izzy at 15. Weakens the defence at 12 (although not as much as the Beale haters would have it), but might have created a whole lot more trouble for the French to defend.

Finally, is Link trying to work out who his 2nd 9 is, or is he just giving Genia break? Because if he really is trying to find that out, he won't do it by giving Phipps 5 minutes at the end. He should either give Phipps 30-40 minutes, or replace him with Genia.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Finally, is Link trying to work out who his 2nd 9 is, or is he just giving Genia break? Because if he really is trying to find that out, he won't do it by giving Phipps 5 minutes at the end. He should either give Phipps 30-40 minutes, or replace him with Genia.

This, I agree with. Currently, he clearly thinks White is his preferred number one. If Phipps gets so little game time, what does anyone learn? We'll find out a bit on Tuesday as to how he is approaching next weekend. I wouldn't be totally surprised if Genia starts, although I am more in favour of getting the combinations tighter than wholesale change.

T

Train Without a Station

Doubt Link will make any changes unless form on Saturday night necessitated. He'll be more focused on more wins than depth for the sake of it. Every player did enough to keep their spot. Playing Skelton for experience to build depth would be redundant. Carter will walk back into the 23, Simmons is a lock and Horwill showed he is still more than capable. Jones may get more time to ensure we have a capable injury back up.

If we start looking beyond that where do we stop? Blooding our 10th choice lock in case we get 7 injuries.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is McCabe' shoulder crocked again? He looked in a bad way at the end of the game.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

He's still a 5th choice lock and would lose our massive line out advantage of having 3 front line jumpers to contest and be options.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Watching the replay, a lot of that was a failure to get forwards there for an accurate clean out. Next week we should start a bit closer to the ruck and make some metres before just chucking it to Folau.

Status
Not open for further replies.